Kevin Orr Resigns from Soddy Daisy

SDFOOTBALLFAN

Why did he resign? Any info on reasons or link to a news story?

Really, go to the other board and you will see! If I was the coach at SD I would be hitting the road with the way people and fans are talking. It's high school sports and we forget the life skills that these coaches teach our fine young men. Probably learn more from coaches than their parents, looking at some of the boards on coacht. Don't know if he was a good or bad coach, just saying the way people got on here and talked, I thought he had already resigned two weeks ago. Best of luck to coach and the SD players, maybe we will see you in the playoffs in a few years!

Edited by THEDOC

Really, go to the other board and you will see! If I was the coach at SD I would be hitting the road with the way people and fans are talking. It's high school sports and we forget the life skills that these coaches teach our fine young men. Probably learn more from coaches than their parents, looking at some of the boards on coacht. Don't know if he was a good or bad coach, just saying the way people got on here and talked, I thought he had already resigned two weeks ago. Best of luck to coach and the SD players, maybe we will see you in the playoffs in a few years!

Actually, after I posted the question I did go to the other discussion and posted on there regarding the same things you are saying. Totally agree with you. I cannot imagine why we, as coaches, put up with it sometimes, but we do.

Actually, after I posted the question I did go to the other discussion and posted on there regarding the same things you are saying. Totally agree with you. I cannot imagine why we, as coaches, put up with it sometimes, but we do.

Because that is what YOU decided YOU want to take a paycheck for from those same taxpayer parents!

If you cannot take the heat, then you really do NOT belong in coaching.

People expect results (WINS) for things/jobs that get paid extra for. That is just the American way. Anything else is just teachers union/Obama/Communist ranting(wanting)!

Can we tell I am not to fond of Teachers Unions, Obama, and Communists? Yes, I knew we could.

Because that is what YOU decided YOU want to take a paycheck for from those same taxpayer parents!

People expect results (WINS) for things/jobs that get paid extra for. That is just the American way. Anything else is just teachers union/Obama/Communist ranting(wanting)!

Can we tell I am not to fond of Teachers Unions, Obama, and Communists? Yes, I knew we could.

So winning is all that matters? You are saying win at all costs? The pay is for extra responsibilities and work,which is very little per hour. Did you and your son only get winning out of football? Winning is a by product of doing things right.

First of all I want to make you understand that NO ONE thinks that Kevin Orr isn't a good person.

However I want to let all these outisde people commenting on something they no NOTHING about to be a little informed. My son has been there for 4 years and i promise you there are very few schools that have a Booster Club that support the team as well as Soddy's. The coaches only had to be responsible for coaching, uniforms, (which doesn't mean cleaning) and the well being of their players. The booster club did EVERYTHING else. If you don't believe then go ask Slaughter.

You know I really intended on writing on this but I can't I would be on here all day. The Soddy Daisy football program is better off now.

First of all I want to make you understand that NO ONE thinks that Kevin Orr isn't a good person.

However I want to let all these outisde people commenting on something they no NOTHING about to be a little informed. My son has been there for 4 years and i promise you there are very few schools that have a Booster Club that support the team as well as Soddy's. The coaches only had to be responsible for coaching, uniforms, (which doesn't mean cleaning) and the well being of their players. The booster club did EVERYTHING else. If you don't believe then go ask Slaughter.

You know I really intended on writing on this but I can't I would be on here all day. The Soddy Daisy football program is better off now.

There are multiple programs that were in the playoffs in 5A and 6A where the coaches do ALL the work you have mentioned....field paint, cleaning locker room, washing uniforms, equipment repair, preparing the team meal, driving the bus, cleaning after the game, pep rally organization, advertising, game programs, travel schedules, EVERYTHIUNG...PLUS coach the players and win games....go ask Whitehaven's staff. The difference is that the parents appreciate them and support them. Doing these things doesn't earn you the right to destroy the program from the inside out and undermine the efforts of a guy who is underpaid and trying to help YOUR KID!

These coaches aren't coming to your job and screwing you up or undermining your efforts or scheming to get YOU fired. They ARE trying to help your kid learn about life and maybe get a FREE college education out of the deal. You should try doing your job in front of even as few as ten people (much less ten thousand) who watch your every move and criticise you at every turn, calling you an idiot and denegrating you in front of your kid. See how you feel about what you are doing to these guys. Then decide if you want that for yourself. Coaches go in expecting all this, but it doesn't make their job any easier and they still love the game and try to help your kid. Try helping THEM help your kid by supporting them in spirit more than deed. It will change your program for the better.

LAST OLD DAD, you keep adding to the problem of society; ENTITLEMENT. Don’t disgrace the American Way of doing things as just “WINNINGâ€. Here is a quote from a great American Vincent T. Lombardi-The Will to Win- “The spirit, the will to win and the will to excel – these are the things that endure and these are the qualities that are so much more important than any of the events that occasion them. There’s only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do. The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will. You never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man. If you’ll not settle for anything less than your best, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish in your lives.†People choose the coaching/teaching profession for the experience of educating and molding adolescents into adults (the process), not just to win. If it was all about winning, then I’m sure all coaches out there would find a profession that relied on their own skill sets instead of the skill sets of adolescents.

I don’t know Kevin Orr but yes I am a coach, and I understand the reflection of a coach’s worth can’t be measured by the outcome of wins or losses, but by their WILL. If this is not true, then maybe we should start judging parents by the decisions their kids make on a daily bases. Here is an article you need read if you are truly the LAST OLD DAD; http://aspeneducation.crchealth.com/articles/article-entitlement/

Wait, there is a paycheck in there? I get paid to be a teacher, but i earn about 60 cents an hour (literally) for coaching. Last year I was coaching every day from July 19 through the last day of school at four hours per day and a total supplement of right at nine thousand dollars. I knew this going in. No coach is doing this for the money because if they are they don't stay long.

I'm totally fine with the heat because I am used to it and have chosen a place to coach where the parents are VERY supportive in spirit, but we do all the work. It's a great place to coach and I love it here. The parents support us, the kids, the team and travel well. We were in the playoffs this year and worked our tails off for it. It has been very rewarding for us and the kids because we all chose to come here based on that support and a work ethic that the kids have bought into long ago.

That said, I'm simply offering you good advice on what good coaches are looking for. You won't get a good coach because they have to be an idiot to put up with what you're defending on here.