2013 Sullivan South Rebels

2000southreb81

South Rebels move to 4A ball. Any news on the team? Coaching staff? Crawdad, you got any news to pass along? I don't have any sources other than this board so I look forward to any discussion. I am buddies with a coach on staff at South but rarely see him anymore due to kids, work etc... I spoke with him before the start of last year and he was optimistic about the young talent coming up and in.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South Rebels move to 4A ball. Any news on the team? Coaching staff? Crawdad, you got any news to pass along? I don't have any sources other than this board so I look forward to any discussion. I am buddies with a coach on staff at South but rarely see him anymore due to kids, work etc... I spoke with him before the start of last year and he was optimistic about the young talent coming up and in.

They should have a solid team if they can piece together a good offensive line and a defensive backfield. Those should be the biggest challenges as I see it. QB, RB and WR positions should be really good. They will need to identify some WRs who can learn to block to support the run and underneath pass game. That was almost non-existent last year. I will also be interested in the offensive scheme(s), aggressiveness of the defense, and tackling.

The short sighted decision to not stay in the Big 8 dooms South's sports. Yeah, you might get about 1.4 more wins a year in football for a short time, but at what cost. Instead of a packed house for DB and SH, with a small chance for a historic win, you get to travel to Happy Valley, Unicoi and Johnson County. No offense to those fine schools, but come on.

You lose gate reciepts, fan base, media attention, etc. You want to get your kid attention for scholarships? You just took a big hit. Expect a mass exodus of the better athletes. This goes for all sports.

And what do you get in return? Coaching records padded by an extra 2 wins in a 7-3 year and then back to .500 or less in the years to come. A shame and self serving sham. I expect no less.

Ask Curt Phillips who he played against when he was named Gatorade Player of the Year and later signed with Wisconsin. Please. This is just further proof that you have little knowledge of the subjects you address.

Show me where I have been wrong. Phillips had numerous games against the likes of Science Hill, DB, Maryville, etc. Your inane, yet undying support for the ones guiding the steady and sure demise of South's athletics makes you as culpable. You must be very proud.On second thought......Whatever

Edited by batmast

Show me where you have been right. You make the absurd predictions and pretend to know what is best for the program. You act like you should be the athletic director. How arrogant and ignorant are you? I think you are a blowhard with a bone to pick with someone up there who hurt your little boy feelings once upon a time...oh nevermind, you're hopeless. Numerous games....no you're a joke. :roflol:

So instead of refuting anything I said and maybe providing examples of how the move possibly benefits the students, school or fans, you resort to name calling and ranting and raving?

I understand, as your sense of relevance is winding down, you might have some problems. So, I'll let it go.

Edited by batmast

and they (SOUTH) still has to beat Elizabethon and North....so dominate??? i dont think so

Who said anything about dominate? Did anyone from anywhere even remotely suggest that idea? Did you dream that up? I'm confused by your comment.. South will be challenged to tackle Ethan Thomas any time he touches the ball. North has been gutted , but they will always be scrappy.

• 1 month later...

Well from the way it looks the Golden Raiders of Sullivan North and the Rebels of South may be joining forces in the near future. One will become a middle school, the other the high school and will be the new Sullivan West. And then a couple of years down the road reclassify to either 5 or 6A. We shall see how this all shakes out... will be tough for both communities, at least at first.

Well from the way it looks the Golden Raiders of Sullivan North and the Rebels of South may be joining forces in the near future. One will become a middle school, the other the high school and will be the new Sullivan West. And then a couple of years down the road reclassify to either 5 or 6A. We shall see how this all shakes out... will be tough for both communities, at least at first.

RebRaider should be happy lol. If this comes to pass they may have trouble getting kids to play. Only 9 games and no playoffs is a hard sell.

RebRaider should be happy lol. If this comes to pass they may have trouble getting kids to play. Only 9 games and no playoffs is a hard sell.

We'll see how it all shakes out. I've got 8th grade and 11th grade kids. Their teachers seem to be convinced that this is a done deal. There was an interesting article in the Times-News yesterday about the TSSAA being in contact with the school system about the merger. The way I read it the TSSAA's preferred solution is for the high school to keep an existing school name and number for 2 years and participate in the already scheduled home/away contracted games, conference schedule, and playoffs (presumably 4A for football). Then, after 2 years, go through their standard realignment process for schools whose enrollment has changed more than 20%. At that point the school could change names and schedule games with their new conference partners during the normal 2-year home/away game scheduling cycle. You'd have a big school competing against the other 4A schools but what else could you do unless TSSAA changes the rules. Personally, I think it will be a 5A school in 2 years. I don't know how many will end up going to Dobyns-Bennett but I think I read that there were between 300 and 400 Kingsport city kids going to North and South right now instead of D-B. I know D-B could not hold that many more kids but Kingsport won't quit annexing...