3AAA in 2013

ORbaseball

It's cold outside with snow on the ground, but the season is just 7 weeks away. I saw the schedule, and it appears we no longer play every team in the district twice (about half of them twice, and the other half once). Should be interesting. Any predicitions out there? Hardin Valley should be strong again behind their pitching and well coached crew. They meet Oak Ridge in first games of season for OR (3/11 and 3/12). Should be good games if Oak Ridge can get their bats going early in the season (traditionally a weakness). Oak Ridge has its largest senior class in many years (8) led by Lane and McDaniels, so we will see if experience and Senior leadership translates into a good season.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cold outside with snow on the ground, but the season is just 7 weeks away. I saw the schedule, and it appears we no longer play every team in the district twice (about half of them twice, and the other half once). Should be interesting. Any predicitions out there? Hardin Valley should be strong again behind their pitching and well coached crew. They meet Oak Ridge in first games of season for OR (3/11 and 3/12). Should be good games if Oak Ridge can get their bats going early in the season (traditionally a weakness). Oak Ridge has its largest senior class in many years (8) led by Lane and McDaniels, so we will see if experience and Senior leadership translates into a good season.

Heard OR lost some pitchers to Grace?

Heard OR lost some pitchers to Grace?

Two Freshmen transferred to Grace at Winter break, but it's nothing that will affect the varsity team this year. However, they were good young athletes that will likely develop into good varsity baseball players, so it's definitely a loss for the program's future. All these private, Christian schools in the area seem to have the money, facilities, and programs headed in the right direction. If I were a new parent today, I can't say I wouldn't be preparing to do the same thing (private school), but not for for sports so much as for the Christian-based education and environment. But that's a different topic for a different thread.

Two Freshmen transferred to Grace at Winter break, but it's nothing that will affect the varsity team this year. However, they were good young athletes that will likely develop into good varsity baseball players, so it's definitely a loss for the program's future. All these private, Christian schools in the area seem to have the money, facilities, and programs headed in the right direction. If I were a new parent today, I can't say I wouldn't be preparing to do the same thing (private school), but not for for sports so much as for the Christian-based education and environment. But that's a different topic for a different thread.

It seems the pride in playing for your hometwon just doesn't exist today like it used to. Just different times today. I can't imagine not wanting to play for anyone else but my hometown school. No matter how good the facilities and whatever were. Pride in my hometown ruled all of that out for me. Just me, though.

Edited by SweetScience

• 2 weeks later...

Blame "Travel Ball" on the current lack of hometown pride. I feel like travel ball has turned kids into the equivalent of mercenaries and nothing more. Kids play on a new team every season or even week if the parents don't like the coach.

I don't know these kids who left to go play in the private sector, but I would bet "christian-based" values didn't have as much to with the decision as baseball. Even then, if you're concerned about your kid being the best player they can be, would you rather face HVA, Powell, Halls, FHS, ect or Midway, Harriman, and Tellico Plains?

I guess going 10-0 in a district where your biggest foe is Rockwood is a lot more fun than grinding it out in AAA ball. Less competition equals better stats, I guess. It's a shame. I remember when the saying was, "to be the man, you have to beat the man."

Makes no sense to me at all, but then again my kid what taught hometown pride and couldn't wait to dawn his towns colors. I'm afraid that's a dying trait now-a-days.

Blame "Travel Ball" on the current lack of hometown pride. I feel like travel ball has turned kids into the equivalent of mercenaries and nothing more. Kids play on a new team every season or even week if the parents don't like the coach.

I don't know these kids who left to go play in the private sector, but I would bet "christian-based" values didn't have as much to with the decision as baseball. Even then, if you're concerned about your kid being the best player they can be, would you rather face HVA, Powell, Halls, FHS, ect or Midway, Harriman, and Tellico Plains?

I guess going 10-0 in a district where your biggest foe is Rockwood is a lot more fun than grinding it out in AAA ball. Less competition equals better stats, I guess. It's a shame. I remember when the saying was, "to be the man, you have to beat the man."

Makes no sense to me at all, but then again my kid what taught hometown pride and couldn't wait to dawn his towns colors. I'm afraid that's a dying trait now-a-days.

Very well said and couldn't agree more, Diamonddad. It's sad.

Say Hey...Willie Mays Hayes here. Here is my pre-season order of finish for District 3AAA. A lot of competitive teams. Should be a fun year to watch.

1. Hardin Valley

2. Oak Ridge

3. Powell

4. Halls

5. AC

6. Karns

7. Clinton

8. Central

9. Campbell Co.

Thanks for bringing us back on topic. I am in perfect agreement with your rankings. With two of the best pitchers in the district and being so well coached, HVA will be hard to de-thrown as the district champions. With Jordan Lane pitching, ORHS should at least get splits with Halls, Powell, and AC; their abilty to finish #2 will depend on keeping pitchers arms healthy and getting their bats going. The problem last year with ORHS was no run support, as both Powell and Halls beat Lane by 1 run, with OR only scoring 3 runs total in those two games. The one that I'm "iffy" about is AC. If Hunter Tackett pitches and is finding the strike zone, he could get some upset wins with a little run support.

Thanks for bringing us back on topic. I am in perfect agreement with your rankings. With two of the best pitchers in the district and being so well coached, HVA will be hard to de-thrown as the district champions. With Jordan Lane pitching, ORHS should at least get splits with Halls, Powell, and AC; their abilty to finish #2 will depend on keeping pitchers arms healthy and getting their bats going. The problem last year with ORHS was no run support, as both Powell and Halls beat Lane by 1 run, with OR only scoring 3 runs total in those two games. The one that I'm "iffy" about is AC. If Hunter Tackett pitches and is finding the strike zone, he could get some upset wins with a little run support.

The Neely kid for HVA is going to be awesome. Already verbally committed to UT as a Freshman.

Unfortunately, I think some of the parents would rather their kids get to face lesser competition so it makes their son look better.

Speaking of Halls, what does the Devils' staff look like this year?

Great post! I'm just not sure that "travel ball" is as much to blame for it as the parents are. I think you can find a good balance between the two if you use some common sense. The problem is when the parents are engulfed by it and don't let it be their kid's time.

Halls lost a ton of seniors last year but Doug is a great coach. I promise they will be competitive.

Edited by TSpoon