FCS vs Watertown

UCSportsFan

Here's something to research in regard to Watertown. How many teams on their schedule have winning records?

The FC teams mentioned by Alumnist were more talented than last yrs state champs but hadn't played enough quality competition in the regular season cause someone doing the scheduling wanted to post "W's" rather than wear rings. I'm sure Watertown fans will be satisfied with district titles and a couple of W's over FC, however it will be interesting to see how their schedule impacts their post season.

On another note, it will be interesting to see if Watertown basketball schedules FC the next 2 years when the 4 sophomores that FC starts this year are Jrs & Srs or if they follow suit with the Watertown football scheduler and look for easy "W's" & pass on teams who prepare them for the chase for the ring. Ashame that watertown loses their biggest gate because fear of losing to a rival scares them from keeping the rivalry alive.

Edited by Volzchamps

Yeah they beat us in basketball, which is definitely not a sport FCS is known for. The best athletes don't play basketball, they play either football or baseball or both, just look at the senior class this year.

. This year that might apply but no so every year. Last yr DP more than made an arguement as that classes best athlete. Others in prior years who were their classes best athletes were Lee Maasen, Teeters (both), Hoffman twins, Keith Gaines, Jason Green, Filson, Redmon, Bone, Neal, Burroughs (both). Now, during the mid 2000's several of FC's best chose not to play basketball but as far back as I remember most of FC's best athletes played basketball & many played all 3. Of course your memory don't go back that far Commanderman & your opinion of "best" is just that- your opinion. Everybody has one. I've seen every FC substate basketball team & all had one common thread, their best athletes played. Same holds true with football but not baseball. I'd say orange crush has seen most too & would agree likewise. Edited by Volzchamps

Your thinking of the 06-07 team and 08-09 team and I also think they were more talented then the team last year, and I don't even think it's close

You are correct. I was off by a year. and I agree that it wouldnt even be close. Those teams would have killed the team from last year. Too bad the coach was only worried about posting 20 win seasons. Not to mention the teams that Ben Crocket played on. Those teams are automatically prestiged because of the deep outside threat that he purposed to the defense at any given time. I respect those teams so much and often wonder, how in the world did these teams not get into the state tournament.

Here's something to research in regard to Watertown. How many teams on their schedule have winning records?

The FC teams mentioned by Alumnist were more talented than last yrs state champs but hadn't played enough quality competition in the regular season cause someone doing the scheduling wanted to post "W's" rather than wear rings. I'm sure Watertown fans will be satisfied with district titles and a couple of W's over FC, however it will be interesting to see how their schedule impacts their post season.

After looking at Watertowns schedule as it is posted on coach t, and the success of those teams so far, they have played 3 games against teams with winning records and winning two of these games with an above .500 record.

To show both stats, FC has played 6 games against teams with winning records (although i think the FRA game is missing from the schedule on coach t and Evangel Christian record is unknown) also winning 2 of their games against these above .500 teams

Watertown cant say there isnt room on the schedule to play teams with better records because FC has done it and has played 5 less games than H2O.

. This year that might apply but no so every year. Last yr DP more than made an arguement as that classes best athlete. Others in prior years who were their classes best athletes were Lee Maasen, Teeters (both), Hoffman twins, Keith Gaines, Jason Green, Filson, Redmon, Bone, Neal, Burroughs (both). Now, during the mid 2000's several of FC's best chose not to play basketball but as far back as I remember most of FC's best athletes played basketball & many played all 3. Of course your memory don't go back that far Commanderman & your opinion of "best" is just that- your opinion. Everybody has one. I've seen every FC substate basketball team & all had one common thread, their best athletes played. Same holds true with football but not baseball. I'd say orange crush has seen most too & would agree likewise.

I would have to say that I have seen every substate basketball game in FC's history and the athletes that played during those time periods. Secondly, I would have to agree with your assessment of the success of the program when all the best student/athletes play. There are two kids, sophomores, that would have helped tremendously this season, but they aren't playing for different reasons. I would even guess that their impact would have been about a 4-5 game swing in the win/loss column because they are guards. Both have said that they will play next year. I would venture to say that next years team will be one that will make some noise. It is just a shame that our last year in division 1 was a rebuilding year.

After looking at Watertowns schedule as it is posted on coach t, and the success of those teams so far, they have played 3 games against teams with winning records and winning two of these games with an above .500 record.

To show both stats, FC has played 6 games against teams with winning records (although i think the FRA game is missing from the schedule on coach t and Evangel Christian record is unknown) also winning 2 of their games against these above .500 teams

Watertown cant say there isnt room on the schedule to play teams with better records because FC has done it and has played 5 less games than H2O.

I have really held back from saying anything on this forum, with regards to Watertown's record or schedule, but, since it has been discussed in such detail I will give my two cents. First off, I believe that Coach Bradshaw is a fine coach and understands the game of basketball. His teams have always played solid defense, which is the key to any team winning consistently. But, it is no secret that Watertown's schedule is weak and has been weak for the past 3 years. I never thought the schedules were very tough when he coached at FC, which I believed reared its head at the end of each season. I am a big believer in "iron sharpens iron," and a tough schedule is going to prepare any team physically and mentally in tough games. Now, I don't believe that every game should be tough because you can beat down your team, but playing 5-6 tough programs a year will only make you better. The Tigers have succeeded this season, but they have beaten 3 teams with a winning record and got ran out of the gym by the only team that I would consider good. More than likely they won't be prepared during that elimination game when it gets tight at the end. Reason, they haven't been in that type of situation all season and I witnessed it year after year at FC. Of course, I could be proven wrong and if so, then more power to the Tigers. But, it would be the first time that approach had been successful for Watertown. Please understand that this is not a knock on Coach Bradshaw because, like I said earlier, I believe he is a good coach, and every coach has to do what they believe will give their team the best chance at being successful. I just have a different opinion of how you get your team ready for the playoffs/tournaments. Edited by orangecrush

FC falling apart in basketball isn't the "end of the world" and I am a huge FC fan. The way I see it is this: Last year we won state in Volleyball, Football and Basketball BUT everyone said we would NOT win basketball and were about guaranteed to win baseball. After football many at FC said they "felt bad" for basketball because they would be the only sport not to win it all and look how it ended up: Basketball won and baseball lost. Has any school ever won Football, Basketball and Baseball in the same year? I think this is our baseball year. Additionally, when you look at Sandoval and DP from last year....those were just the best two players in the entire high school league. Yes their replacements are fantastic but not a one for one swap. Not yet. This crew will be dangerous come their senior year.

I have really held back from saying anything on this forum, with regards to Watertown's record or schedule, but, since it has been discussed in such detail I will give my two cents. First off, I believe that Coach Bradshaw is a fine coach and understands the game of basketball. His teams have always played solid defense, which is the key to any team winning consistently. But, it is no secret that Watertown's schedule is weak and has been weak for the past 3 years. I never thought the schedules were very tough when he coached at FC, which I believed reared its head at the end of each season. I am a big believer in "iron sharpens iron," and a tough schedule is going to prepare any team physically and mentally in tough games. Now, I don't believe that every game should be tough because you can beat down your team, but playing 5-6 tough programs a year will only make you better. The Tigers have succeeded this season, but they have beaten 3 teams with a winning record and got ran out of the gym by the only team that I would consider good. More than likely they won't be prepared during that elimination game when it gets tight at the end. Reason, they haven't been in that type of situation all season and I witnessed it year after year at FC. Of course, I could be proven wrong and if so, then more power to the Tigers. But, it would be the first time that approach had been successful for Watertown. Please understand that this is not a knock on Coach Bradshaw because, like I said earlier, I believe he is a good coach, and every coach has to do what they believe will give their team the best chance at being successful. I just have a different opinion of how you get your team ready for the playoffs/tournaments.

I agree that your "iron sharpens iron" does help toughen a team. and i will agree that Bradshaw is a very good coach but does not necessarily believe in this "iron sharpens iron" metaphor. I feel that if he did his teams may be more prepared for a tough region championship and/or substate game. If the schedule is weak then your record doesnt really matter to me. Regardless of how strong or weak the schedule is, I think the way to tell how good a team is, is to look at the last game they won that year. just take BTW from last year. Great record but didnt make it out of the first round. so what good does the number of wins do you? the answer is no good as long as you win once you get to elimination games.