FRA Basketball - underachieves again

Yellowstone

Unbelievable that FRA can't get it done in the postseason again. I like Pierce, but the fact is that his teams constantly underachieve for the amount of talent he has in the division that they plan in.

Some have mentioned him as a candidate for the Brentwood Academy opening......I just don't see it. The last 2 seasons FRA had the talent to not only win DII-A, but would compete in DII-AA.

FRA fans....What is the deal? Is it a coaching or motivational issue?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable that FRA can't get it done in the postseason again. I like Pierce, but the fact is that his teams constantly underachieve for the amount of talent he has in the division that they plan in.

Some have mentioned him as a candidate for the Brentwood Academy opening......I just don't see it. The last 2 seasons FRA had the talent to not only win DII-A, but would compete in DII-AA.

FRA fans....What is the deal? Is it a coaching or motivational issue?

So are you asking FRA fans if the coach should be fired because he did not win state? What is his overall record? And how about his integrity? It seems to me you are not so quick to ask the same question to a certain football coach in Madison who had the best QB in the history of the school and couldn't win state and as a matter of fact only got to one state game in four years with this QB? So I ask you the same question, was this failure coaching or motivation?

If u read the post, I never asked he be fired. I think Coach Pierce is a great man of integrity, however the fact is that in crunch time they could not close the deal.

Furthermore, comparing the 2 situations is apples and oranges. But since you want to discuss the topic. Goodpasture's football team was not the most talented in their division, with Alcoa, CAK, and Milan..... And their former Coach has won 3 state titles with 5 runner ups.

I agree with your assessment that wins and losses are not everything with a head coach at a school. I find Coach Pierce to be a great man of high character. Just raising the discussion on how they could not win the title when it counts.

Not a coaching problem at all and you are correct - FRA is loaded with talent. The problem lies in the weakness of the division in which FRA plays. They don't start having any real competition until tournament time. Their schedule prior to Christmas break includes some good teams - Ensworth (won), Baylor (lost by 3), JPII (lost by 5), Father Ryan (lost by 10) - which FRA held their own against. After Christmas, division play starts. FRA went undefeated from that point and won every game by at least 20, with their starters on the bench after the half or earlier. Hard to be prepared after that for teams in the West, who play a tough schedule all year. Not an excuse but simply an explanation of how this can happen.

, CAK, and Milan..... And their former Coach has won 3 state titles with 5 runner ups.

I agree with your assessment that wins and losses are not everything with a head coach at a school. I find Coach Pierce to be a great man of high character. Just raising the discussion on how they could not win the title when it counts.

They are not unachievers...they just got beat by a better more physical team......it happens when u dont bring your A game.....sorry :mellow:

Not a coaching problem at all and you are correct - FRA is loaded with talent. The problem lies in the weakness of the division in which FRA plays. They don't start having any real competition until tournament time. Their schedule prior to Christmas break includes some good teams - Ensworth (won), Baylor (lost by 3), JPII (lost by 5), Father Ryan (lost by 10) - which FRA held their own against. After Christmas, division play starts. FRA went undefeated from that point and won every game by at least 20, with their starters on the bench after the half or earlier. Hard to be prepared after that for teams in the West, who play a tough schedule all year. Not an excuse but simply an explanation of how this can happen.

Don't read too much into a win over Ensworth at that point in the season. The Ensworth team was missing a number of players that had just finished the football season in the championship game the night before. I agree with your post - just want to clarify that the Ensworth team that FRA beat that night was not the full roster.

Don't read too much into a win over Ensworth at that point in the season. The Ensworth team was missing a number of players that had just finished the football season in the championship game the night before. I agree with your post - just want to clarify that the Ensworth team that FRA beat that night was not the full roster.

Ensworth scored 87 points in its overtime win against Briarcrest in the championship game. 61 of those points were scored by 4 football players who did not play against FRA. 26 were scored by the 3 non-football players who played in the game against FRA.

Point well taken about the Ensworth game - except that the Fleming and Pope kids were in that game and the Fleming kid is always tough to beat. So add to the list a win over Boliver and MBA for FRA - not bad for a DII-A sized school. But the point is that from Christmas until tournament time they play really weak teams.

Point well taken about the Ensworth game - except that the Fleming and Pope kids were in that game and the Fleming kid is always tough to beat. So add to the list a win over Boliver and MBA for FRA - not bad for a DII-A sized school. But the point is that from Christmas until tournament time they play really weak teams.

For the 2012/2013 season only Grant Pope was on the roster for Ensworth and yes he did play against FRA. Gary Pope has graduated.

Hey Boogie I was at the game... even sporting some FRA "Fan Gear".

And not taking anything away from Lausanne but they were a very athletic and good team (obviously now that they are State Champions) but thought maybe some things should have or not have been done as far as FRA getting the win. Take something that I have seen from Coach Ramsey from DCA in the past. Seen him win a championship with only 5 guys one time and nearly take his DCA team this year as well using the same approach. Sometimes you have to let your best guys play...alot. Going 6 deep for this team would have been plenty as really none of them were in foul trouble throughout the game...Marberry did foul out but only after picking up a few late game fouls. I thought a few of your guys were out too long considering the situation.

While rotating five in and out and subbing religiously throughout the season works well for Zion Christians, the Webfeets, and Riversides...not sure if the same approach you should have been used against this level of opponent or at tournament time. Please keep in mind this is easy for an Ezell parent like myself because we didn't have the depth of an FRA, Knox Webb, ECS, or Lausanne...and obviously a big reason why we were not there at the State Tournament. If needed I would have played the starters the whole game.

Bottom line I thought the coach my have left himself open to some questioning with some substitutions during the game...this from an outsider who has not seen this team play but a couple of times...but just my opinion...who am I ... just a videographer without a game to video on that day...

My opinion only...

gman

Edited by dgeeman