Best Coaches ?

thegame523

I think Coach Hutchens does a good job of teaching team defense.  These guys are not coaching anymore but Bobby Snyder (Daniel Boone), Joe McPherson (University School) and Donald Ensor (Unaka) where all very good at teaching team defense and getting the most out of the of the players they had and fitting their systems around those players.  All four men are (or were) great teachers of the game.

Where does Coach Hutchens coach at? I am not familiar with that many coaches from Tn. I coach in Florida. Thanks!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The coach at Copper Basin High School Tim Kidd, is one of the best coaches I have seen in a while. Coach Kidd took over a David Brainerd team that had won six games in their history and won eight games his first year and 17 games in his second year. He moved on to Copper Basin and the team had lost over 50 games in a row and he has turned them around. He has taken the Cougars to two region berths and averaged about 12 wins a year, with out a lot of talent. Kidd's Copper Basin teams have beaten many larger schools, from Boyd Buchanan, Silverdale, Grace, 4-A school Fannin County, and a very good Hamilton Heights team in one of the greatest games and best coached games I have ever seen. Copper Basin doesn't get a lot of attention because they are off the beaten path, but if you go to Basin you better be ready to play or you will come home with a loss. I have heard that Kidd has turned down several bigger school offers to coach and by watching his teams they seem to love to play for him and play hard. If you ever get a chance to watch Basin play it will be worth the trip.

Coach Troy at Mt. Juliet - Guy takes alot of talent and does an excellent job of making it all mesh

Coach Bontrager at Father Ryan - No coach does more with less.  Back to back final fours and defensive guru

Coach Anglin at MBA - Great with the x's and o's.  Just a good man in general

Coach Buell at Seymour - Just moved from Carter, but knows the game inside and out

Coach Blevins at Beardon - Consistently molds tons of talent to fit his system

Edited by nd1fan

New Brentwood Academy HC has to be considered one of the best in the state. He owned District 14aaa during tenor as HC at Bartlett High in route to winning a state title there. After leaving Bartlett for a college assistants job, he jumped back into the high school ranks as Head Girls Basketball coach at Einsworth where he promptly wins multiple state championships. Look for Brentwood Academy to be a real player at the state level real quick!

New Brentwood Academy HC has to be considered one of the best in the state. He owned District 14aaa during tenor as HC at Bartlett High in route to winning a state title there. After leaving Bartlett for a college assistants job, he jumped back into the high school ranks as Head Girls Basketball coach at Einsworth where he promptly wins multiple state championships. Look for Brentwood Academy to be a real player at the state level real quick!

I completely agree Rob. He was one I mentioned earlier as I had the pleasure to see his Bartlett teams a few times and was tremendously impressed, then watched his girls teams online a few times the past few years and again was tremendously impressed. BA hit a big time homerun with this hire!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'll say Jody Wright at Fulton.  Their basketball program was a dumpster fire when he took over 29 years ago, and it started rough as Fulton won only 2 games his first year.  But in the 90's Fulton made several state tournament appearances and finished State Runner-Up twice, and Fulton has currently been to the state tournament 6 of the last 7 years with two state titles in 2008 and 09 (beating Memphis powerhouses Mitchell and Booker T. Washington).  Very rarely has he had stars like Jalen Steele, Robert Boyd, or James Gallman, Jr., but they consistently make the state tournament and he has won I think 572 games in his time there.