Top baseball programs in 9AAA

REDSMAN

Mt Juliet clear #1 over the last 10 years...before Purvis they weren't even close to what they are now. They continue to have the most talent. Hendersonville clear #2 with 4 state tournament appearances and lots of kids going to college and right now prob the most complete and solid coaching staff. Wilson Central to me is next. Coach Ford does a good job of making players better and getting them to college but they've never been to state. Beech has had great records but never has won the big games. And honestly they were carried by Hansen for at least two years.

When you look at programs you look at where and who would you want your son to play for....right now in 9AAA would have to be Mt Juliet, Hendersonville and then Wilson Central can't see any other way you could answer this question.

Here is good debate fodder: who are the top baseball programs in 9AAA considering coaching, facilities, and State tourney appearances?

1- MJ

2-HHS

3-WIlson Central

4-Beech

5-Portland

6-SC

7-Lebanon

8- Gallatin

Portland at number 5? based on last 5 years, 10years, etc? Has Portland Baseball Program done anything in 9-AAA?

1. MJ

2. Beech

3. Hendersonville

4. Wilson Central

5. SC

6. Lebanon

7. Gallatin

8. Portland

Gallatin Baseball in very bad condition and no change?

Portland went to State a couple times in early 200s I think? Only reason I put them ahead of SC is the program at SC is still new... But they will certainly move up quickly....

1-MJ

2-HHS

3-WC

4-BHS

5-SC

6-PHS

7-LHS

8-GHS

Remember, this considering factors like facilities, funding, administrative support, etc

• Upvote 1

SC "new" 8 or 10 years old program has better recent results than several Sumner Co programs. Better than Hendersonville, Portland, Gallatin. More comparable to Beech for the current time, but in desperate need of state run.

Why is Gallatin so bad? Gallatins past showed better baseball and DISCIPLINE. Unsure what is going on down there?

SC has had a solid run the past couple if years and it will keep getting better as Coach Ballard continues to build them into a great program.

As far as GHS and LHS, it is what it is. LHS has brand new facilities on campus at least, now they need the admin and community to get behind a coach for a few years. 11 coaches in 20 years is not good...as for GHS, unless you have tried to coach baseball there, it's hard to understand just how much of an uphill battle it is...

Portland has the disadvantage of drawing from a much smaller pool of talent and resources. I think Jimmy has done a fine job there recently, and they held their own this past season.

I believe 9AAA will see MJ, HHS, SC, WC, and BHS continue to be 1-5 when you consider talent, facilities, and administrative support.

SC has had a solid run the past couple if years and it will keep getting better as Coach Ballard continues to build them into a great program.

As far as GHS and LHS, it is what it is. LHS has brand new facilities on campus at least, now they need the admin and community to get behind a coach for a few years. 11 coaches in 20 years is not good...as for GHS, unless you have tried to coach baseball there, it's hard to understand just how much of an uphill battle it is...

Portland has the disadvantage of drawing from a much smaller pool of talent and resources. I think Jimmy has done a fine job there recently, and they held their own this past season.

I believe 9AAA will see MJ, HHS, SC, WC, and BHS continue to be 1-5 when you consider talent, facilities, and administrative support.

Thats a very fair assessment of our program in Portland. Jimmy talked with the new assistant coach the other day I will meet him Monday when we have our tryouts. I will miss Tuesday because we play a 7-7 football game against someone. lol. In the last month we have a new assistant baseball coach that came from Motlow,(and my old age is kicking in because I cant remember his name, lol), and a new principal that was an assistant at Beech. Yes we have a very small talent pool to draw from. This past year we had 4 seniors, next year 2. But, I have to say, this past season was the funnest I have had "helping" a team....I even got to load out a bucket of balls.............HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I will never forget that

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

REDSMAN is right about GHS. It's easy to say it, but until you stand in those shoes you'll never understand it.....uphill doesn't even scratch the surface

Concerning your uphill battles with facilities, funding and administrative support, and your personal ranking some of it sounds like sour grapes. Gallatin has had some very good players in the past but did not realize their potential as a team. Is that due to the field of play, money available or the principal? Talent has been somewhat thinner in recent years but it is cyclical. The indoor facility on campus is well utilized by baseball. Many schools do not have that luxury. It would be nice to have a new field on campus but many schools make do with city parks. If there were funding, then the football stadium, baseball, softball and tennis would all be on campus. Blame the county funding the schools, not the school itself. Monies are typically earmarked and voted on by the county commissioners and then to board of education. Coaches blaming administrators on team success? That sounds like a personal issue. Coaching is a tough job and it does become easier with admin support, good parent support and sure, money helps. It is not the baseball coach versus the world. Money may not always be available but, support is reciprocated.         

Concerning the present, Gallatin has fairly young team and a few guys with great potential. Two new assistants that played professionally and both graduates of Gallatin High School in Doug Hall, 5 years with the Chicago Cubs organization as an OF and Brian Fitts, 4 years with the Minnesota Twins organizations as a P. Head Coach Mickey Armstrong has put together a great staff.  

Edited by TheRealTruth

Concerning your uphill battles with facilities, funding and administrative support, and your personal ranking some of it sounds like sour grapes. Gallatin has had some very good players in the past but did not realize their potential as a team. Is that due to the field of play, money available or the principal? Talent has been somewhat thinner in recent years but it is cyclical. The indoor facility on campus is well utilized by baseball. Many schools do not have that luxury. It would be nice to have a new field on campus but many schools make do with city parks. If there were funding, then the football stadium, baseball, softball and tennis would all be on campus. Blame the county funding the schools, not the school itself. Monies are typically earmarked and voted on by the county commissioners and then to board of education. Coaches blaming administrators on team success? That sounds like a personal issue. Coaching is a tough job and it does become easier with admin support, good parent support and sure, money helps. It is not the baseball coach versus the world. Money may not always be available but, support is reciprocated.         

Concerning the present, Gallatin has fairly young team and a few guys with great potential. Two new assistants that played professionally and both graduates of Gallatin High School in Doug Hall, 5 years with the Chicago Cubs organization as an OF and Brian Fitts, 4 years with the Minnesota Twins organizations as a P. Head Coach Mickey Armstrong has put together a great staff.

Truth, is your response to me or 9-hole bomber? What do you mean by sour grapes?

I never said anything about blaming admin.... That may be something you are trying to inject here...

Coaching BB is an uphill battle at GHS, ask any coach who has been there. I feel I did a pretty solid job there despite having to get back and forth from the field across town, having one assistant for 3 teams, limited budget compared to the other 9AAA schools, and having to play the opening round of tournament play AFTER Prom night.... We managed to set a school record for wins in 2007, and from 2007-2010 sent 11 players to college scholarships.

Mickey faces the same obstacles that I faced, Troy Martin faced, Bill Colquitt faced, and Jerry Joslin faced. I never said GHS couldn't get it done, or anything about the administration.

As a matter of fact, Ron Becker is a friend and fellow church member. And I have always had great relationships with the football and basketball staffs.

So there's your sour grapes.

Truth, is your response to me or 9-hole bomber? What do you mean by sour grapes?

I never said anything about blaming admin.... That may be something you are trying to inject here...

Coaching BB is an uphill battle at GHS, ask any coach who has been there. I feel I did a pretty solid job there despite having to get back and forth from the field across town, having one assistant for 3 teams, limited budget compared to the other 9AAA schools, and having to play the opening round of tournament play AFTER Prom night.... We managed to set a school record for wins in 2007, and from 2007-2010 sent 11 players to college scholarships.

Mickey faces the same obstacles that I faced, Troy Martin faced, Bill Colquitt faced, and Jerry Joslin faced. I never said GHS couldn't get it done, or anything about the administration.

As a matter of fact, Ron Becker is a friend and fellow church member. And I have always had great relationships with the football and basketball staffs.

So there's your sour grapes.

Thanks for some of your clarification. My response was to both you and 9-hole bomber. Not sure who 9-hole bomber is but I am assuming a former coach as well.

When you start a topic "Top baseball programs in 9AAA" and state criteria to rate programs including coaching, facilities, funding and administrative support and you as a former coach rank Gallatin last on a social media site does seem you are trying to inject something here, not me, however, if you are not, my apologies as I have no criticism of you as a person or coach. I too, believe you did a solid job. 2007 had much talent and 11 scholarships players is to be commended. By sore grapes, I mean bad feelings toward any aspect of the position or school itself. What are the obstacles? If not administration, funding and facilities is the uphill battle? The drive across town to the field is 3.5 miles. How are the other schools that have more or less funded? Mickey has 3 assistants for 3 teams and a new tarp. Improvement? Sharing the field and maintenance is an issue. Enlighten the people that can help.  

Those categories are generic to 9AAA as a whole. Not every school will have a problem with each category.

As for GHS, there are a few obstacles when you compare to the other 9AAA schools. Example: the Sports Center is very nice, but it's a shared facility. The other programs all have baseball only indoor facilities, which provided unlimited access. The baseball fields are all used only for the HS team. In the case of Hebdersonville, they have first access.

Another obstacle was a place for baseball to dress and keep valuables put away. It is very much a task to get players dressed, organized, and to the field even though it is 3.5 miles away. These issues don't exist for the other 9AAA schools.

Also, GHS prom every year was held the night before District tourney opener. No one was ever willing to change that, no matter who I asked.

Would you want Prom Night the day before a first round football playoff game?

Another obstacle is inconsistency on the youth level, except for the American Legion league. Otherwise, there has been too many changes and people pulling in different directions.

Finally, GHS is historically not a baseball power. There have been some talented players and a periodically some great teams, but not to the level of the MJ, Beech, HHS programs.

Mickey is doing a great job, but to say that coaching baseball there isn't a battle would be false. I'm certain Martin, Armstrong, Joslin, and Colquitt would all agree with that.

Those categories are generic to 9AAA as a whole. Not every school will have a problem with each category.

As for GHS, there are a few obstacles when you compare to the other 9AAA schools. Example: the Sports Center is very nice, but it's a shared facility. The other programs all have baseball only indoor facilities, which provided unlimited access. The baseball fields are all used only for the HS team. In the case of Hebdersonville, they have first access.

Another obstacle was a place for baseball to dress and keep valuables put away. It is very much a task to get players dressed, organized, and to the field even though it is 3.5 miles away. These issues don't exist for the other 9AAA schools.

Also, GHS prom every year was held the night before District tourney opener. No one was ever willing to change that, no matter who I asked.

Would you want Prom Night the day before a first round football playoff game?

Another obstacle is inconsistency on the youth level, except for the American Legion league. Otherwise, there has been too many changes and people pulling in different directions.

Finally, GHS is historically not a baseball power. There have been some talented players and a periodically some great teams, but not to the level of the MJ, Beech, HHS programs.

Mickey is doing a great job, but to say that coaching baseball there isn't a battle would be false. I'm certain Martin, Armstrong, Joslin, and Colquitt would all agree with that.

I empathize with your points. Though the sports center is shared, it is large and utilized well and frequetly by baseball. How did others who have sole facilities for baseball fund this and who are they? Beech, SC... Locker room is shared with freshman football. New lockers with locked compartments would help. QB Club project? Freshman FB in Fall, Baseball in Spring. A field on campus would be nice. Pull information on county, district HS baseball fields and how they were funded to start equality efforts with school board and county commissioners. SC got $250,000 for FB fieldhouse recently. Youth level is understood. Is Randall Chambers still involved and were you involved with Gallatin Tornado at one point? Coaching is a battle and did all those coaches mentioned leave the program better than when they started?

Coach, I got it. I just don't want to see Gallatin portrayed as a bad place to coach, play ball or as a parent, have a kid play there. Gallatin is a great community and Green Wave Pride runs deep.