Big win for CPA over Brentwood

sportsnerd

A rebuilding CPA team upset 6A Brentwood at CPA 17-14. CPA controlled the first half and actually should have been leading 14-0 but some questionable (IMO) play calling and clock management by CPA allowed BHS to score late in the half and it was 14-7 CPA.
BHS came out ready to play in the 2nd half, took the kickoff, and never let CPA get the ball in the 3rd quarter. After a 13 minute drive, BHS tied the game at the beginning of the 4th. Both teams went back and forth in the 4th with drives killed by penalties (BHS had no penalties in the 1st half but several in the 2nd.)

With about 4 minutes left, BHS punted and CPA muffed the punt on their 20. The officials initially said BHS recovered but it was a bad call, and after a long discussion, they gave the ball to CPA. Credit the officials for getting it right. CPA drove to the 20 and on 4th down with 1 minute left, J.R> Osborne hit a 37 yard FG from the right hash to put CPA up 17-14. BHS couldn't do anything in the last minute.

Don't know how good BHS will be this year, but a big win anyway for a young CPA team. Despite being only 5 miles apart, these two teams have never played.

I'll take the W.  Surprised with newcomers to CPA.  Loved the HUGE crowd.  Reminds me of CPA years ago.

I don't have the records but I have been to most CPA games at home since the stadium was built and it had to be the largest crowd in the history of the stadium.

We have great coaches, but do you agree that it is a bit odd that your All-State receiver scores on a 60 yard pass play in the 1st half and that is the only time you throw him the ball until the 4th quarter? Finally, on the last drive they start throwing to Richard, he is wide open 2-3 times and we get in FG range.

Also, game is tied in the 4th, we have the ball 2nd and 1, and instead of pounding for the 1st down, we run a stretch play, lose 4 yards and end up having to punt? and we run a QB keeper and QB sneak in the first half when it was 2nd and 3rd and very long due to a penalty. I know it's easy to be an armchair QB, but some of the play calling was odd.

Being a loooong time BHS supporter I was really torn on this one! The play calling by CPA was disappointing. Richard needs to touch the ball at least a dozen times. The Dback covering him had a 9 yard cushion. They need to move him in a few yards to get him the ball quicker and let him play in open space. Good job CPA! We don't know how good BHS is but they are a 6A school with an excellent program.

Edited by DAD1