Powell @ CAK

FootballDad

I waited awhile for someone on the 6A board to start a thread about this game...but since that hasn't happened I will start one on the 3A board.  CAK & Powell have been 2 of the most successful programs in the area for the past few years, with CAK winning state in 2011 & 2012 and Powell getting to the finals in 2011 and semi-finals in 2012.  Powell is coming off a disappointing performance this past Friday night but it was against one of the better teams in the state (Fulton).  CAK is coming off a win against one of the less successful D2 schools (Franklin Road Academy) but it was a valuable experience for all the new starters who have virtually no experience.

What are your thoughts about this matchup between 3A CAK and 6A Powell?

I waited awhile for someone on the 6A board to start a thread about this game...but since that hasn't happened I will start one on the 3A board. CAK & Powell have been 2 of the most successful programs in the area for the past few years, with CAK winning state in 2011 & 2012 and Powell getting to the finals in 2011 and semi-finals in 2012. Powell is coming off a disappointing performance this past Friday night but it was against one of the better teams in the state (Fulton). CAK is coming off a win against one of the less successful D2 schools (Franklin Road Academy) but it was a valuable experience for all the new starters who have virtually no experience.

What are your thoughts about this matchup between 3A CAK and 6A Powell?

I honestly think CAK has the advantage in this game for two reasons - one being Powell is coming off a huge loss, how will they respond? The second being Powell has a lot of new starters in the defensive secondary and I don't know if they can keep up with the passing attack of CAK. Both teams are young, so no telling what we'll get Friday night. Powell has a balanced attack, a mobile qb with a good arm, and plenty of talent to throw to, and a lot of speed at tb. Problem being the brand new offensive line. I am excited for Friday either way! Edited by powellphoto

Hard to say how this one turns out. Powell should have a substantial advantage simply with size of school at 6A. Last year's Warriors had the horses to run with some bigger schools potentially, but will this years squad? The jury is still out. The defense will be pushed hard with the size, speed, and balanced attack of Powell. But the biggest question in my mind is whether or not the CAK offense can connect on some of the open passes that were either dropped or not accurately thrown. If they are able to do that, CAK could give Powell a run for their money. If not, it could be a long night for the Warriors. Powell will put up some points IMO, and that means it's up to the Warrior offense to control the ball, be patient and accurate, and put points on the board. For those who don't know, don't let the beat down Powell took from Fulton fool you; Fulton is one of the best teams in the state.

I honestly think CAK has the advantage in this game for two reasons - one being Powell is coming off a huge loss, how will they respond? The second being Powell has a lot of new starters in the defensive secondary and I don't know if they can keep up with the passing attack of CAK. Both teams are young, so no telling what we'll get Friday night. Powell has a balanced attack, a mobile qb with a good arm, and plenty of talent to throw to, and a lot of speed at tb. Problem being the brand new offensive line. I am excited for Friday either way!

I think that the only advantage CAK may have is if the Panther players are full of doubt after such a huge loss. If that is the mindset then if CAK has some early success it could cause some problems for Powell. The Warriors passing game is still trying to gain altitude. They have good potential, but still a long way from being at their high flying best that we have been spoiled with for the past 3-4 years. Powell presents tremendous challenges for CAK in many ways.....especially in the physical and depth aspects of the game. I suspect this will be a good matchup...hard to predict the outcome. I would have loved to see this matchup the past 2 years. It's an important game for both teams. Panther fans get there early...CAK has a nice but small stadium compared to what you are accustom to and the parking is very limited. Try a grilled burger...they're good as far as stadium food goes.

Last year's CAK team would dust this year's Powell team but I haven't a clue about CAK this year.  Seems it'd be hard to replace that many starters at a small school and still play with the depth of a school the size of Powell.  My guess is that Powell squeaks by CAK in a high scoring affair.

I would say that is a reasonable prognosis this early in the season Mav.  Happy to read about T.Hicks making such a nice come back this past Friday night after such a horrific accident last year.  Good luck to AC the rest of the way, enjoy the fireworks but keep the "moo's" to a minimum  :D  

I would say that is a reasonable prognosis this early in the season Mav.  Happy to read about T.Hicks making such a nice come back this past Friday night after such a horrific accident last year.  Good luck to AC the rest of the way, enjoy the fireworks but keep the "moo's" to a minimum  :D  

Lol!  Thanks. I think we'll have a very good year.  It helps not having to start off in week zero with state champions loaded for bear with D1 talent!  Hicks is a great kid in addition to being a fine athlete. Good luck to the Warriors too.

I have been living under a rock? Didn't know how many CAK players moved on to the Next Level from last years team till now lol Of course they will be rebuilding this year but, I would suspect that it wouldn't take very long considering all your under classmen fully know what is expected out of them and their time has come. Powell looked like they had a good running back and decent QB last week and showed some strength at times on both sides of the ball but, they looked really sloooow as a total team but, that maybe because they played the fastest team in the state? Lol should be a good game and again as last week, I will go with the coaching ( CAK wins in a very very close game)