MUS Steps UP

owlbooster

In case nobody outside Metro Memphis noticed, last Friday night the Owls beat South Panola, ranked #1 in MS, 26-9 despite having their leading rusher (Bradburn) out with an injury.

I noticed, and even watched some of the game (I had MBA-BA, McCallie-Bowling Green, MUS-South Panola, and Ensworth-Father Ryan on at one time on four tabs; the fact that it was hard enough to find a HS game on the radio 15 years ago and yet one can find streaming games with relative ease now is flat-out amzaing). I'm not sure if South Panola is as good as they were in those years when they were in the midst of that streak when they lost only twice - once to MUS - over the course of 100+ games, but they are still pretty good and fill out their uniforms rather impressively with some big boys and good talent. South Panola has and will beat many teams with its personnel, but the MUSs of the world are better-equipped than most if not all of South Panola's opponents to neutralize them somewhat with coaching and schemes.

• Upvote 1

In case nobody outside Metro Memphis noticed, last Friday night the Owls beat South Panola, ranked #1 in MS, 26-9 despite having their leading rusher (Bradburn) out with an injury.

Last year the Owls won at Fayetteville, then #1 in AR and eventual state champion.

That's awesome - congrats to MUS!!!  Congratulations also are due the MUS golf team - 2013 state D2-AA Champs!

• Upvote 1

I noticed, and even watched some of the game (I had MBA-BA, McCallie-Bowling Green, MUS-South Panola, and Ensworth-Father Ryan on at one time on four tabs; the fact that it was hard enough to find a HS game on the radio 15 years ago and yet one can find streaming games with relative ease now is flat-out amzaing). I'm not sure if South Panola is as good as they were in those years when they were in the midst of that streak when they lost only twice - once to MUS - over the course of 100+ games, but they are still pretty good and fill out their uniforms rather impressively with some big boys and good talent. South Panola has and will beat many teams with its personnel, but the MUSs of the world are better-equipped than most if not all of South Panola's opponents to neutralize them somewhat with coaching and schemes.

No doubt this was one not of SP's better teams, but they still should be in the hunt for the MS 6A title.  MUS outcoached and outplayed them.  The SP coaches either didn't adjust and/or their players couldn't adjust,  Once again MUS beats a superior "athletic" team due to better coaching and teamwork.. They just might be in the hunt for TN "silver" if the QB play improves.

I looked at MUS and saw where they got blown out by BA.  Defeated a poor Kingsbury team.  Then got beat by a school in Arkansas called Pulaski Academy?  I understand Pulaski Academy onside kicks every kick off and rarely punts.  What happened in the other three games for them to lose and then play so well and beat South Panola?  Just wondering of did South Panola have a bad night?

I looked at MUS and saw where they got blown out by BA.  Defeated a poor Kingsbury team.  Then got beat by a school in Arkansas called Pulaski Academy?  I understand Pulaski Academy onside kicks every kick off and rarely punts.  What happened in the other three games for them to lose and then play so well and beat South Panola?  Just wondering of did South Panola have a bad night?

The BA blowout was just "one of those nights".  Opening game on the road.  Two inexperienced QBs.  BA is a good team and made few mistakes. 

Pulaski is no slouch, ranked #2 in 5A (9th overall) and a perennial AR state title contender.. This was a road game that MUS could have and should have won but lost by a TD.  Way too many critical mistakes.  Example:  Pulaski had 4th and 13 from their OWN 9 yard line and didn't punt.  I kid you not.  Threw a 20 yard pass that the MUS defender could have intercepted easily but didn't for the obvious reason - MUS ball on the 9 if he lets it go by him.  Unfortunately, this allowed the receiver to catch the ball and get them out of the hole.  Had the game been 6 minutes longer, I think MUS would have pulled it out.

MUS made S Panola look bad, so I guess they had a "bad night."  MUS threw some new things at SP that they could not have prepared for, and they didn't or couldn't adjust.  The MUS kicker/punter Wunderlich, an Ole Miss signee, made a huge difference.  51 yd FG, all KOs in the end zone except one and it was fumbled for a TO inside the 10 (but MUS didn't score!)  A 49+ yd punt average.   Good field position was critical;  MUS usually had it and SP rarely had it. It was "one of those nights" for SP.

Edited by owlbooster