Wrestling Rule Enforced & Changes How Many Tourney's Have Been Conducted

okieshoe

About a week ago a TSSAA coaches/officials meeting was held. From the meeting, all wrestlers competing in dual meets and wrestling tournaments held in Tennessee will have to weigh-in and get their skin checked by the scheduled referee(s) at a minimum of 1 hour prior to the start of the event. This applies to all wrestlers who are competing with (or against) a team/club that is affiliated with a school who’s under TSSAA or who holds practices/events at a TSSAA school/location.

This means, there can no longer be administrative weigh-ins or weigh-ins the night before of the event. I wanted to bring this to the coaches (particularly club coaches) attention because many youth clubs have in the past, have held weigh-ins at satellite areas and/or even the night before of the event.

This rule enforcement is going to add a change to how youth wrestling events have been structured in recent years.

Okie--how do you feel this applies to youth and club wrestling? Youth wrestling is not sanctioned by TSSAA, most are USA, AAU, or independent, and while many attempt to closely follow state rules, they are not obligated to do so. TSSAA cannot govern over facilities that may happen to host TSSAA events--if this were the case, the cows at the Palace would have to be weighed by a TSSAA offical prior to the show.  I think you may be over reaching.

Humor: This will apply to youth. Questions regarding the applicability to youth events was asked in several ways. The TSSAA stood their ground. Since many events are held at TSSAA locations (schools), they are enforcing this rule. I understand that many youth events are covered under USA wrestling insurance etc., but at this time, the TSSAA is holding firm. I encourage you and anyone else to contact Mark Reeves with TSSAA and hear it from him.

Not trying to argue with you and I believe they may have said this, but did they meniton how they expect to enforce this rule?  They do not own the facilities.  They have no authority to mandate rules for AAU, USA, or any other organization.  There are many city owned facilities (schools) that host TSSAA events where recreational leagues are also held and run by the city/county, are you telling me they expect to apply these rules to the rec leagues as well?  And what will be the punishment for those not following the rules--who will they punish? 

AAAAnndd lets just say the can apply this rule, will they require a TSSAA referee to do the weigh in and skin check?

Edited by humorwrestling

I understand. No arguing here.

That's just it. The TSSAA refs are being told NOT to ref an event unless they have conducted weigh-ins and completed skin checks.

The TSSAA has no jurisdiction over the TSSAA wrestling officials if they are not officiating a TSSAA event or the match is not booked with the TSSAA officials association.  All USA Wrestling or the AAU has to do is bypass the officials booking secretary and contact the officials directly.  That would be like Exxon trying to tell their employees they cannot work for another oil company.  The TSSAA does not have a non compete contract with the various officials.   Pass along the message to the TSSAA to get their checkbook out and make a big deposit because this will result in a legal battle that would be very difficult for them to win.