DCA @ St. George's - Semi-Finals

thegood

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't this thread actually read "DCA & USN vs St George's?"

I'm asking because I find it curious that USN football students are co-oping with DCA football some 20 miles away. Wouldn't they be a more logical fit with MBA who's right down the street? Seems like at the least DCA should have to count USN's enrollment and play up in d2 AA.

Is this same type co-oping allowed in the Memphis, Knoxville, or just in Donelson 2 miles from the TSSAA headquarters? Could this be called the "Donelson exception"?

Gives a whole new meaning to home cooking.

If DCA/USN were to make the championship game will both schools get a gold/silver ball or will they split it in half?

Shouldn't this thread actually read "DCA & USN vs St George's?"

I'm asking because I find it curious that USN football students are co-oping with DCA football some 20 miles away. Wouldn't they be a more logical fit with MBA who's right down the street? Seems like at the least DCA should have to count USN's enrollment and play up in d2 AA.

Is this same type co-oping allowed in the Memphis, Knoxville, or just in Donelson 2 miles from the TSSAA headquarters? Could this be called the "Donelson exception"?

Gives a whole new meaning to home cooking.

If DCA/USN were to make the championship game will both schools get a gold/silver ball or will they split it in half?

It is very interesting that you bring this up VC because word about this arrangement has begun to get out amongst the coaches in Div-II A and let's just say that the response has been less than favorable.  To say that DCA has a major advantage over the other schools they compete with would be a major understatement.  DCA has an enrollment of 237 students, while USN has 378 students.  First, how can a private school co-op with another school when those kids and parents made the choice to attend a school without a football program?  Second, how can DCA take these kids and not take the enrollment of the school they are accepting the kids from.  The issue is not about the amount of kids from USN that compete in football at DCA, but it is about the pool of kids that DCA has to choose from.  That number is 615 kids that DCA has an enrollment number to choose from.

According to TSSAA,

Football

Clarkrange High School
 coops with   Alvin C. York Institute
Hollis F. Price Middle College High School coops with   B. T. Washington High School
Culleoka High School coops with   Columbia Central High School
University School coops with   David Crockett High School
University School of Nashville coops with   Donelson Christian Academy
Murfreesboro Central Magnet School coops with   Eagleville High School
LEAD Academy coops with   East Literature Magnet School
Berean Christian School coops with   Gibbs High School
Adamsville High School coops with   Grainger High School
Nashville School of the Arts coops with   Hillsboro High School
Big Picture High School coops with   Hillwood High School
Hume-Fogg Academic Magnet School coops with   Hillwood High School
Bowie Reading & Learning Center coops with   Lausanne Collegiate School
Memphis Middle College High School coops with   Manassas High School
McClain Christian Academy coops with   Mt. Juliet Christian Academy
Hampshire High School coops with   Mt. Pleasant High School
Martin Luther King High School coops with   Pearl Cohn High School
STEM School of Chattanooga coops with   Red Bank High School
Sequoyah High School - Soddy-Daisy coops with   Soddy-Daisy High School
Santa Fe High School coops with   Spring Hill High School
Merrol Hyde Magnet School coops with   Station Camp High School
The Phoenix School coops with   Stone Memorial High School
Memphis Business Academy coops with   Trezevant High School
Chatt. School for the Arts & Sciences coops with   Tyner Academy
GRAD Academy coops with   Whitehaven High School

According to TSSAA,

Football

Clarkrange High School coops with   Alvin C. York Institute

Hollis F. Price Middle College High School coops with   B. T. Washington High School

Culleoka High School coops with   Columbia Central High School

University School coops with   David Crockett High School

University School of Nashville coops with   Donelson Christian Academy

Murfreesboro Central Magnet School coops with   Eagleville High School

LEAD Academy coops with   East Literature Magnet School

Berean Christian School coops with   Gibbs High School

Adamsville High School coops with   Grainger High School

Nashville School of the Arts coops with   Hillsboro High School

Big Picture High School coops with   Hillwood High School

Hume-Fogg Academic Magnet School coops with   Hillwood High School

Bowie Reading & Learning Center coops with   Lausanne Collegiate School

Memphis Middle College High School coops with   Manassas High School

McClain Christian Academy coops with   Mt. Juliet Christian Academy

Hampshire High School coops with   Mt. Pleasant High School

Martin Luther King High School coops with   Pearl Cohn High School

STEM School of Chattanooga coops with   Red Bank High School

Sequoyah High School - Soddy-Daisy coops with   Soddy-Daisy High School

Santa Fe High School coops with   Spring Hill High School

Merrol Hyde Magnet School coops with   Station Camp High School

The Phoenix School coops with   Stone Memorial High School

Memphis Business Academy coops with   Trezevant High School

Chatt. School for the Arts & Sciences coops with   Tyner Academy

GRAD Academy coops with   Whitehaven High School

Just because it is going on it does not make it right.  If a school is going to co-op with another school, then that school should have to accept their enrollment when they classify.  Let DCA take USN's kids, but their enrollment should be 615 kids because that is the pool of student/athletes they have to choose from to form a football team, of course, it would push them to Div-II AA.

It is very interesting that you bring this up VC because word about this arrangement has begun to get out amongst the coaches in Div-II A and let's just say that the response has been less than favorable.  To say that DCA has a major advantage over the other schools they compete with would be a major understatement.  DCA has an enrollment of 237 students, while USN has 378 students.  First, how can a private school co-op with another school when those kids and parents made the choice to attend a school without a football program?  Second, how can DCA take these kids and not take the enrollment of the school they are accepting the kids from.  The issue is not about the amount of kids from USN that compete in football at DCA, but it is about the pool of kids that DCA has to choose from.  That number is 615 kids that DCA has an enrollment number to choose from.

I don't think the schools choose who comes out for the team, it's up to the student-athlete...

If that was the case, then a lot of these co-op teams would have much higher turnouts for football. Sorry your commanders didn't get a second shot at the wildcats.

I don't think the schools choose who comes out for the team, it's up to the student-athlete...

If that was the case, then a lot of these co-op teams would have much higher turnouts for football. Sorry your commanders didn't get a second shot at the wildcats.

The entire TSSAA classification process in both divisions is predicated on the number of students a program has to pick from.  Based on your logic if Antioch, Gallatin, Maryville, etc... only had 25 kids come out for football then they should be 1A.  Also, in case you have forgotten, DCA needed a second shot at FC based on the final outcome.  Best of luck against St. George's. 

The entire TSSAA classification process in both divisions is predicated on the number of students a program has to pick from.  Based on your logic if Antioch, Gallatin, Maryville, etc... only had 25 kids come out for football then they should be 1A.  Also, in case you have forgotten, DCA needed a second shot at FC based on the final outcome.  Best of luck against St. George's. 

So based on your logic, DCA should play against D2-AA? Ok, lol. You've been around those Trousdale County fans too long because you're starting to sound like them... Your logic would hold more weight if there was a distinct advantage and those football teams' success was evident due to a larger "pool" of students. I don't see a product that shows an unfair advantage over their opponents...??

Orange crush, very interesting.  I have to agree you have a valid point.  Doesnt matter how many players they get its the fact that they could get many more.  There are 6A schools that dont even have 50 players out but their enrollment is over 2,000.  How would it effect DCA if the USN kids didnt play for them, do they play a big role? The county schools listed above have no options if that is where you are zoned for and they dont have football then they are giving them an option.  WIth USN this is a school of choice and when parents choose to send them to USN they know they have no football.

From USN perspective this allows them to attract football players to their school, which at one time they didnt have that option, so its a win for them.  Sounds like a win win for both schools.  Maybe they didnt want to do it with MBA, Enworth, etc.  because they are competing for the same kids or did they have to co-op with another DII A school.

Good luck DCA, my predicition DCA 35- St George 21

So based on your logic, DCA should play against D2-AA? Ok, lol. You've been around those Trousdale County fans too long because you're starting to sound like them... Your logic would hold more weight if there was a distinct advantage and those football teams' success was evident due to a larger "pool" of students. I don't see a product that shows an unfair advantage over their opponents...??

Well, the coach's around Div II A see the distinct advantage that DCA has.  It is not about the amount of kids playing football or the success of the team.  The TSSAA classifies based on enrollment and if DCA takes the student/athletes from USN, then they should take their enrollment.  If it was based on success, then bring JPII and St. Benedict down to Div II A because they sure can't compete in Div. II AA.  USN has 378 kids, they should start their own football team because they have way more kids than DCA, and be classified accordingly.  Instead, USN sends their kids to DCA and they are not counted.  How is that fair? 

I understand that you are a DCA supporter and will defend them to the end, but there is a major advantage being given to DCA, which has been acknowledged by people outside of DCA and FC too.  I would think that this is going to be addressed with the TSSAA.

Orange crush, very interesting.  I have to agree you have a valid point.  Doesnt matter how many players they get its the fact that they could get many more.  There are 6A schools that dont even have 50 players out but their enrollment is over 2,000.  How would it effect DCA if the USN kids didnt play for them, do they play a big role? The county schools listed above have no options if that is where you are zoned for and they dont have football then they are giving them an option.  WIth USN this is a school of choice and when parents choose to send them to USN they know they have no football.

From USN perspective this allows them to attract football players to their school, which at one time they didnt have that option, so its a win for them.  Sounds like a win win for both schools.  Maybe they didnt want to do it with MBA, Enworth, etc.  because they are competing for the same kids or did they have to co-op with another DII A school.

Good luck DCA, my predicition DCA 35- St George 21

I completely agree Fbboys.  My stance is that public school kids that attend a school that does not offer football should not be punished.  Those kids have no choice on where they go due to zoning or socioeconomic circumstances.  A private school is entirely different, also, I am a private school guy.  When a parent sends his or her child to a private school they have a choice and know that they don't offer a particular sport.  I am for the TSSAA not allowing a private school to co-op with any school, but if they do then they must except their enrollment numbers.

Edited by orangecrush