Clay County

Footballfan27

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After pike vile he went on to white county (Sparta) and took White co out of the ashes basically, upgraded facilities and had several winning seasons, moved on to clay co where I think his kids graduated! then finished his teaching coaching career at York I. I would say he has had a pretty successful career, I guess he is like some others just not ready to give it up just yet. The last coach that coached at Clay co actually played for him at Pikeville I would say Clay Co. Is in good hands.

Didn't Clay co used to beat team like LA and Trousdale back in the day?

years ago LA and Clay were at war!! If I am not mistaken, the first two Tobacco Bowls was LA vs Clay. Cordell McDonald, former basketball and assistant football coach at SC, was head coach at LA. That was back in the Sadler and Carr days at LA. Just heard rumors of the fights and so on they had. Clay had the Melton boys, Tea Kettle Smith, Eads, Vaughn, Scott  and others.

Yea, I have heard some stories on back in a day you didn't want to play on a Friday night in Celina. Very rough hard hitting teams.

A lot of 'shine' brewed in Clay County on Kettle Creek. This drink of the time would migrate to the football games on Friday night at Celina and the visiting team had better hold on tight. Things would explode at the drop of a hat and the fight was on.

• 3 weeks later...

I will say this about Clay County, the people there have been nothing but nice, and very welcoming. It has been a refreshing experience so far. To reflect on my short time there so far is they care about their academics and student success, athletics, and taking care of each other. What really more could you ask for as an educator and coach.

I will say this about Clay County, the people there have been nothing but nice, and very welcoming. It has been a refreshing experience so far. To reflect on my short time there so far is they care about their academics and student success, athletics, and taking care of each other. What really more could you ask for as an educator and coach.

Agree, some of the finest people in the world in Clay County. Back in the day was different on Friday nights. Better put a extra knot in the jock, you were going to get jacked!!