York, Pickett Co. boys teams banned from postseason after fight

CoachT

Either you suspend them both or let them both off the hook. I know most believe that it is unfair to suspend a team when the kids aren't involved, but the fans are representatives of the school and the team and these same fans will be at future games. So personally I believe the suspensions should have held. It shows the school, players, and fans that no matter the circumstances show class and respect, and if you do not you will face the consequences.

By the way if this is complete truth which I agree to some extent, there would be many teams suspended cause I sure have seen a lot of bad fans in my days.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the comment that CASC95 posted the political influence that I keep referencing must have been there. One representative has a personal connection to Pickett county and we all know how. I will say again what I have said all along. If they eased Pickett's suspension then they should have eased up on York some. York's coach even admitted that he had some players that should be suspended but not the whole team. Even as I post this Pickett county's pep club is at Livingston even as we speak making a spectacle of themselves by taking up over half of the student section and the leaders of the school are right in the middle of it. I guess they will never learn.

By the way as far as the politicans go....it is an election year you know.

In Wednesday's Herald Citizen, it was clearly stated by Monterey coach Adam West that up until then they had done nothing but prepare for Pickett County.. I wouldn't go as far as saying that they were hosed. Also, Monterey was given the opportunity to postpone game until Saturday night which would have given them an extra day to prepare for the team they would be playing, but they chose not to and wanted to play Friday. If you think other teams were put on hold about finding out who they would be playing just think about to 2 teams who had no clue whether or not they were even going to get to step on the floor Friday night. Oh, and as far as political influence, we had several people work hard in the school system to show that our boys should get to play. They went very prepared so it is being told. Pickett Countys coach worked his tail off to get things together along with several others. From whats been said if York had gone prepared they would have probably been playing as well. I hate it for York honestly, certainly for those who were not involved, but for some reason TSSAA made the choice they saw fitting.

Of course Monterey had been preparing to play Pickett as was stated in the Wednesday paper, no one knew that pickett had been suspended until Wednesday. The politicans were there and you know it. As far as Moons working his butt off I guess he did since rumor has it the parents don't want him next year. It does sound like York didn't have enough support and that is unfortunate. Bottom line is none of this would have happened if the York student wasn't being hit by a pickett county pep club member.

Sounds like the proper channels weren't taken at the start to prevent the issue. If a player is repeatable getting hit in the head by an opposing fan, the player must address it with the Assistant Staff, they in turn would address the issue.

From what I was told the York coach ask for the situation to be addressed but it wasn't. I know last year we had a similar incident and ask for it to be addressed and we were basically laughed at by the game facilitator.

From the comment that CASC95 posted the political influence that I keep referencing must have been there. One representative has a personal connection to Pickett county and we all know how. I will say again what I have said all along. If they eased Pickett's suspension then they should have eased up on York some. York's coach even admitted that he had some players that should be suspended but not the whole team. Even as I post this Pickett county's pep club is at Livingston even as we speak making a spectacle of themselves by taking up over half of the student section and the leaders of the school are right in the middle of it. I guess they will never learn.

By the way as far as the politicans go....it is an election year you know.

The student section is saying nothing vulgar or bothering anyone..and yeah school officials are sitting with them if they weren't then people like you would say something about that too. Every other team down here ha a student section as well so stop singling out just one school.

From the comment that CASC95 posted the political influence that I keep referencing must have been there. One representative has a personal connection to Pickett county and we all know how. I will say again what I have said all along. If they eased Pickett's suspension then they should have eased up on York some. York's coach even admitted that he had some players that should be suspended but not the whole team. Even as I post this Pickett county's pep club is at Livingston even as we speak making a spectacle of themselves by taking up over half of the student section and the leaders of the school are right in the middle of it. I guess they will never learn.By the way as far as the politicans go....it is an election year you know.

I am actually at the game, and no spectacle is being made that I can see by PC's cheering section. Last time I checked, there is NOTHING wrong with a little school spirit and support for your team. You complain that no supervision was provided at the PC vs York game, and just when these leaders try to be in the middle of the cheering section to supervise and take appropriate precautions, you complain about that?

I single out one school because it is the only school that allows the student section to be behind the visiting team. Pickett's student section gets out of hand and your know your admitted it in some of the other threads that were locked by coachT. I have never been to a another school in 7A that has this seating arrangement. You have obviously never had a child to have to sit in front of the student section at your school and be harassed as some athletes have. Before you start saying anything about this not being a problem, then read the Herald Citizen article where Monterey and Clarkrange coaches had warned York's coach about the situation. Your student section has crossed and did cross the line that night as well as many other nights. The students are not to be blamed for behavior that is encouraged and goes unpunished by parents and factuality. Most of the time when it is brought up people laugh about it. The student section at Pickett county is terrible, I am surprised something like this hasn't happened before now. If they are not brought under control the next time it could be worse.

I am actually at the game, and no spectacle is being made that I can see by PC's cheering section. Last time I checked, there is NOTHING wrong with a little school spirit and support for your team. You complain that no supervision was provided at the PC vs York game, and just when these leaders try to be in the middle of the cheering section to supervise and take appropriate precautions, you complain about that?

You well know what I mean. They have hogged up over half of the student section tonight just like they did Friday night. If a school official is there to supervise the students then that is exactly what they should be doing. They should be asking the students to set a good example like by not hogging up the student section just because they can. I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with school spirit as long as it is in good taste. It will take awhile for the student section to lose the bad name they have made for themselves because it has went on for years. The problem with the student section is no one has ever taken responsibility for the way they behave and again that is on the adults. You can be an adult supervising the students with out acting like one.

I can understand your frustration and concern. I do disagree with you, in that several student sections get out of control whether behind the opposing teams bench or not. For example, when PC's boys were in front of York's student section, they were repeatedly cussed and harassed. The only difference is PC players held their composure and didn't haul off and throw a punch. The young man on York's bench who threw the punch should have had more composure. Just because someone calls you a name, etc does not give anyone the right to start a fight. Being a former player myself, i was yelled out and called names, but I was there to compete and play ball. I ignored it. Again, I am not condoning what happened, but this is a problem for several schools.

The boy wasn't just cussed at or called names he was being hit. Didn't want to have to go this far, but my son and another player were in a time out last year at PC. At every time out they were either poked in the back, had popcorn thrown on them and had empty drink bottles thrown at them. This was ignored until finally they had had enough and told the the people that were doing it that they would take it outside. The whole time there were parents sitting near the student section encourageing it. Our coach should have took our kids and left he had complained to the PC staff and nothing was done. The kids on the court should only be playing the 5 other kids on the court not having to fight the student section while taking a time out. But I guess some parents and staff want to win so bad that they encourage this behavior. Again I don't blame the kids, I blame the parents and the staff. Sometimes the truth hurts.

A human being can only take so much it is up to the adults to protect and take care of our children.

I can understand your frustration and concern. I do disagree with you, in that several student sections get out of control whether behind the opposing teams bench or not. For example, when PC's boys were in front of York's student section, they were repeatedly cussed and harassed. The only difference is PC players held their composure and didn't haul off and throw a punch. The young man on York's bench who threw the punch should have had more composure. Just because someone calls you a name, etc does not give anyone the right to start a fight. Being a former player myself, i was yelled out and called names, but I was there to compete and play ball. I ignored it. Again, I am not condoning what happened, but this is a problem for several schools.

And at what time was Pickett County in front of York's student section. They set on the opposite side of the gym. And as far as Pickett county players not being being envolved I'm sure that has something to do with the pep club punching kids sitting on the bench. This is ridiculous. And as far as my state representative not staying and supporting the kids from both schools he supposed to represent. I will make sure to lobby every person I find to show him our displeasure come the next election. The kids from fentress county are just as important as his grand kid.