Finals show

tnlonghorn

There are definitely some kinks to work out in the finals show. It was a great idea but maybe need to coordinate it a little better. But that would take a lot more planning and getting 84 wrestlers on the same page when their mind is solely on winning their last match, it would be hard. I did like having the head shots and names of each wrestler on the video boards, that was a great addition. The music during the video was a little quiet, needs to be loud to pump up the crowd and get people exited.

If the tournament was in China, the same group would be running it. Location isn't the problem, TSSAA just needs to have it fixed by next year.

Are you kidding me? Location is 99.996% of the problem. It's a stadium for cow shows for God's sake, not a state wrestling tournament. I did think the finals show was a good idea, but I agree the music should be blaring and more smoke! Let me just start a small list of the 'location problem'

1) It's freezing cold on the floor and in much of the stands

2) There are no showers

3) The roof leaks on the mats

4) The mats are on dirt that isn't even close to leveled out

5) The spectator viewing and proximity to the mats is horrendous

6) There is no where for the wrestlers on deck to warm up

7) There is no where except the public restrooms for the wrestlers to change

But what do you expect? It's NOT suppose to be conducive for a wrestling tournament. It IS supposed to be conducive for agricultural shows. Duh!!!!

Edited by Newestguy

If the tournament was in China, the same group would be running it. Location isn't the problem, TSSAA just needs to have it fixed by next year.

no, location is a huge part of the problem. The workers all bust their butts and do a great job other than the planning portion by the Tssaa. The gym is just not condusive to holding a tournament of this importance.

There are definitely some kinks to work out in the finals show. It was a great idea but maybe need to coordinate it a little better. But that would take a lot more planning and getting 84 wrestlers on the same page when their mind is solely on winning their last match, it would be hard. I did like having the head shots and names of each wrestler on the video boards, that was a great addition. The music during the video was a little quiet, needs to be loud to pump up the crowd and get people exited.

yes I liked the idea, it just needs some tweaking. There were huge major flaws though.

1) you cant run all three and make it and exciting product.

2) do a division at a time, have the kids come out of the smoke and jog down and shake hands as the spotlight follows them. You can read their bios ( which was totally forgotten)as they do this. 

the way it was ran the announcer couldnt keep up. No bios were read, wresrtlers werent even announced most of the time, a few winners were announced but not many because they were too busy trying to call wrestlers down to stage for awards or give out awards. 

Are you kidding me? Location is 99.996% of the problem. It's a stadium for cow shows for God's sake, not a state wrestling tournament. I did think the finals show was a good idea, but I agree the music should be blaring and more smoke! Let me just start a small list of the 'location problem'

1) It's freezing cold on the floor and in much of the stands

2) There are no showers

3) The roof leaks on the mats

4) The mats are on dirt that isn't even close to leveled out

5) The spectator viewing and proximity to the mats is horrendous

6) There is no where for the wrestlers on deck to warm up

7) There is no where except the public restrooms for the wrestlers to change

But what do you expect? It's not suppose to be conducive for a wrestling tournament. It's supposed to be conducive for agricultural shows. Duh!!!!

exactly!! and most importantly it is boring and there is no energy! Its not about making money, it should be about whats best for the kids!

I keep hearing about people complain about no showers. I can remember the State at McClellan gym and no one ever showered there and never once even was told at the Round House that showers were available. 

You're missing the point.

First off after I wrestled at a tournament, I took a shower. Did everyone? Of course not. But I'm old, there were no 'skin issues' then. Today there are. One point (among many) is that it would be nice for a state medalist to take a shower after they wrestle in the state championship. If Ravenwood wrestles Clarksville at a dual after the match, they can shower. If someone competes in Slamfest, after the match they can shower. At every tournament, including the Region tournaments, after they wrestle, they can shower. In fact the only event that I know of where someone can't shower after their match is the State Duals Championship and individual State Championship. Very ironic the debate with the 152 pounder not being able to compete because of skin issues and yet the championship facility has no showers. At the coaches meeting skin issues were discussed for 20 minutes and yet in the facility where we are competing the kids can't take a shower. According to research it would cost $10,000 a day to bring in portable showers for the event. Finley stadium in Chattanooga was told they couldn't host the TSSAA football championships because they have no showers. 

I understand that not having showers may not seem like a big deal to some. But IMO it is the one ticket to get out of this disgusting, dirty venue. Most sources I talk to say "it will be here forever because the TSSAA makes too much money. The venue is free and they get every dime from the parking (of course I'm sure 20% at least is pocketed by the 'volunteers' taking the money). 

There is something very wrong here.  NOT ONE COACH that I know about likes the venue. LET US GET IT MOVED!

Putting money ahead of a respectable State Tournament is unethical, indefensible and just plain WRONG. For it to continue to be here tells me one thing. There are 2 or 3 key people that are making money in more ways then can be seen. A lot of money and probably not above board. This subject will not go away until it's moved.

Edited by Newestguy
  • Upvote 1