What HS teams are wrestling Freestyle/Greco?

deadlift

I just wanted to take a little survey and see what teams are wrestling the Olympic styles? In Clarksville we have kids from Clarksville High, Rossview, Northeast, West Creek, Kenwood and Springfield working out at the Knuckleheads Club. How important is it to wrestle freestyle/greco and what other teams are training in these styles?

Edited by deadlift
  • Upvote 1

IMO wrestling FS/GR during the off season makes you better for folkstyle even more so than wrestling folkstyle in the offseason. I suppose to you have to actually wrestle freestyle to understand the concept.

I'm sure there are many more, but in Chattanooga Soddy, McCallie and Red Bank basically have full teams but there are a handful of kids from many other schools as well. There are tournaments in the ATL area every weekend from last weekend through May. Most of our guys got 6 matches last weekend with a couple getting up to 10. Do the math. That's almost 60 matches in just over 2 months. More than an entire HS season.

Edited by russianbear
  • Upvote 1

It is hard to beat the body position awareness and mobility improvement you get from FS/GR. I have heard critics of it in the past say that it confuses the wrestler, but I think that is non-sense and offensive to wrestlers. Wrestlers are some of the most intelligent athletes in the world. FS/GR can only benefit you. Take a look at the State Championship podiums at all levels and you will find kids that participate in FS/GR. We have started running an off-season FS/GR club at West Creek this year and all our wrestlers are encouraged to participate because we believe it is crucial to their development. Some of our kids additionally attend the Knuckleheads (who have a great program) across town as well. I am a believer in the advantages and you will find me practicing what I preach tonight, teaching the boys the bow and arrow and side headlock turns.

Edited by jcddmoon
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

JCHS, Morristown East and West are wrestling FS/GR... And it does improve Folk style performance despite those who nay say... Hammer Wrestling.

I could see many Jefferson County wrestlers training in the off season(Hux, English, Townsend etc.) considering they are one of the powerhouse programs in the north east. As for MoEast and MoWest, they probably only have their golden boys wrestling(Williams and Broyles). Its evident that they are the only kids from their teams getting better over the summer. I moved here from Everest, Florida last year and I went to go watch Jefferson, East, West, and Cocke County wrestle every once in a while durring the season. Obviously, Jefferson has a bright future with their youngsters and East and Cocke don't seem to have trouble filling their line ups but have serious trouble with depth(besides Williams). Mowest had probably about 8 kids on their team and only one(Broyles) go to state. I would like to hear which Lakeway area kids have been on the grind this offseason.

I could see many Jefferson County wrestlers training in the off season(Hux, English, Townsend etc.) considering they are one of the powerhouse programs in the north east. As for MoEast and MoWest, they probably only have their golden boys wrestling(Williams and Broyles). Its evident that they are the only kids from their teams getting better over the summer. I moved here from Everest, Florida last year and I went to go watch Jefferson, East, West, and Cocke County wrestle every once in a while durring the season. Obviously, Jefferson has a bright future with their youngsters and East and Cocke don't seem to have trouble filling their line ups but have serious trouble with depth(besides Williams). Mowest had probably about 8 kids on their team and only one(Broyles) go to state. I would like to hear which Lakeway area kids have been on the grind this offseason.

By "lakeway" you mean between the lakes?

I am not excluding anyone intentionally but the kids I have seen and know for a fact never stopped wrestling following Folkstyle state (there is no off season;)) are as follows; Townsend, Collins, Hux, Clausen, Angel, all the Hills brothers, both the English brothers, Broyles (Mo East), Talley (Mo West), several COCKE county kids And numerous middle school kids from Jefferson and Hamlin county's.

Spangler and Begley also competed at FS/GR state and did well.

All above are participating in FS/GR and most competed at the ironman and FS/GR state last weekend. Several are also training with some college teams as time allows.

I have not seen Williams (mo east) post season. He was invited but did not accept my invitation- he may be training on his own or elsewhere with another group I hope that he is.