Week 0: Rockwood @ Oneida

crow

Once it is real....as long as the kids understand the playbook....you never hold anything back if you need it.  I would think if you got a play that will surprise the other team and the kids can execute it, then they will use it.  The trick is using it when it will be most effective.  Us armchair QB's always assume we know when that is.....the coaching staff has a better feel for their team than we do.  Coach May doesn't always run the plays we like but he is craftier than you think.  I'm looking forward to see the real leather fly this Friday.

Kaz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once it is real....as long as the kids understand the playbook....you never hold anything back if you need it.  I would think if you got a play that will surprise the other team and the kids can execute it, then they will use it.  The trick is using it when it will be most effective.  Us armchair QB's always assume we know when that is.....the coaching staff has a better feel for their team than we do.  Coach May doesn't always run the plays we like but he is craftier than you think.  I'm looking forward to see the real leather fly this Friday.

Kaz

What looks vanilla to alot of people in the stands can actually be pretty complicated,blocking schemes are what most people don't understand, you may run the ball in the same whole several times ,but block it differently. Its funny when people say ,we only fun the ball up the middle or 2 the outside, As far as I know, thats the only places you can run it. You always have several fans that think you should throw the ball all the time, but in reality coaches would never throw the ball if they were good enough to move the chain on a regulal basis. Most coaches just throw the ball enough to keep the d from putting everyone in the box, its dictated by the defence. Very few fans really understand what takes place on any given play. Most coaches know a ton more than the average fan. Its the same thing in any profession, that why dentists don't do brain surgury.

True that...Pujo!  It's also why I am the world's smartest play caller/coach, because I never get it wrong up there in my bleacher throne.  Heck, if they had of thrown the triple reverse-halfback pass to the left offensive tackle (not covered, so he was eligible receiver) we probably would have took down "the Giant" last year!!!! :rolleyes:  Seriously, I enjoy watching it away from the decision making process......it is way easier to second guess things, but better to take things as they come.

Kazzy

True that...Pujo!  It's also why I am the world's smartest play caller/coach, because I never get it wrong up there in my bleacher throne.  Heck, if they had of thrown the triple reverse-halfback pass to the left offensive tackle (not covered, so he was eligible receiver) we probably would have took down "the Giant" last year!!!! :rolleyes:  Seriously, I enjoy watching it away from the decision making process......it is way easier to second guess things, but better to take things as they come.

Kazzy

Half the fun at these games are listening to nuts second guessing every single play you run. Most of um couldn't even tell you what formation you're in. And then you always have a few who you have to stay away from. Everyone has a few of that kind. I choose my company or either stay to myself. Football coaches and politition are the most critisized people on the earth. Polititions probably deserve it.lol

By the way,,,,,how are we gonna fare against your crew next week?  I truthfully don't really know what to expect.  It will make for some interesting conversation to say the least.  I'm looking forward to it.....then again.....maybe I ain't? 

Kazz

Thats hard to tell Kaz, hopefully we'll give you a better challenge than we did last year. We're alot more experienced in the skill positions. We'll just have to do a much better job of stopping you're running game. I'll probably have a better Idea after we both play this week. Unicoi has a heck of a back, we'll see how we fare against him.

Half the fun at these games are listening to nuts second guessing every single play you run. Most of um couldn't even tell you what formation you're in. And then you always have a few who you have to stay away from. Everyone has a few of that kind. I choose my company or either stay to myself. Football coaches and politition are the most critisized people on the earth. Polititions probably deserve it.lol

These coaches do take a lot of heat from the fans, especially in your smaller communities. In my opinion they don't make enough money for what they deserve. They put a lot of hours in with these kids, they gotta love it or they wouldn't be doin it! :popcorneater:

I totally agree bigtime, fans can say "you should've done that or this instead" but there's alot more that goes into it than just picking a play. There is scouting, team management, picking the right scheme each week and more. I remember when Lambert first came to Huntsville Middle under Coach Diggs in the early 90s. It takes time for coaches to develop just like athletes. Schools aren't just plugging a coach in the system and saying "win or lose this is a permanent coaching position and you'll never get fired."  The coaches love the game like we do and want to succeed at it, plus help mature young men through dedication and sacrifice their time when they could be with their family at home during each season and no matter what they get paid that's really tough too.

Edited by TheOgre78