BA/McCallie II

WesVLT

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with AGGSL. Sure Brentwood is a powerful and dominating team. But it always seems McCallie matches up to Brentwood equally. Potter knows what he is doing and I bet he is feeling good about this game. The only way I see Brentwood winning this game is on a 60+ yard field goal as time is winding down. But I dont think that's going to happen.

McCallie stuns Brentwood 23-20 and Brentwood's players are standing puzzled at what happend :confused:

What I mean by mediocre is relative to the quality of ball that is being played at that level this year. Like it or not, these schools are not competing at the same level they were three and four years ago. Then again, only one school was playing at that level, so I may be being a bit too critical. Never the less, it still is not as good. You can't tell me that this division would match up to the same division four years ago. Yes, in general, the boys in DII play better ball and are better coached than those in DI; there are exceptions to that though. You are correct that many of the big DI schools would not fare too well in DII week in and week out; I'll give you that.

and it's time for my prediction. (I moved this from the other thread)

First of all, games are usually won by the team that makes the fewest mistakes:in this category I'll take McCallie. Yes they've made many mistakes all year, but Coach Potter doesn't tolerate that, and he especially won't this week. I'd think that McCallie will play it's most mistake free game of the year that night.

Second, a kicking game is very important: no one will argue when I pick BA in this category: John Vaughn (Auburn commitment, hooray!), and Kody Bliss (Auburn is a great school Kody...) are the most poweful kicking game in the state. Period. No one can top that.

A third key for winning a big game is great players making great plays. Both teams have great players. McCallie has nationally recognized QB/LB/PK/P Ryan Moore, Chris Johnson, a fine runner, Corey Remillard, the first year split end who has had a knack for big plays, and a stout defense led by LB's T.J. Brooks and John Shanks. They're banged up, but they'll still be very solid. No questioning BA's talent either. Besides the thunderfeet, they've got a very solid QB in Adcox, and a great backfield with Townsend, Mustin, and Holbert at FB. Chad Fuson is a good reciever, and King Dunlap is a monster on both lines. Holbert and Mustin are amazingly hard hitters at LB, and anchor BA's D as well. Overall, I'd give BA the slight advantage here, but it's negligable because the most talented team doesn't always win.

Fourth is fan support. The game is at BA, so that's an obvious disadvantage for McCallie, but they'll bring fans and a band too, so things won't be that bad.

Fifth: Coaching. Both coaches are great. Carlton Flatt is a legend statewide, and there's no arguing that he's always been a fine coach. Coach Potter is unarguably one of the finest younger coaches in the state, a great motivator, and always has a team prepared for whatever they face. He's also had BA's number the past few meetings. I take McCallie here.

Finally, we come to the intangibles. McCallie is the defending state champion, and recently they've taken care of business against BA. The boys have a lot of heart too. BA can make a claim to be the best team in the state right now, and that may not be unwarrented. They're a heck of a team, with a legend as a coach and homefield advantage. I take McCallie's recent history as the choice intangible here.

So McCallie wins 3 of my categories, and BA wins 3. Looks pretty even, though this isn't exactly scientific. If you want scientific, talk to Earl Nall or Sonny Moore (ha ha ha). It will be a great game, and I wish I could go. My (changed) pick is McCallie 24, BA 20. Good luck Big Blue!!

Wes,

It is a big game because it is the semi-final round, but words and terms such as "monumental" are best reserved for classic rivalries not meetings between teams with multiple losses playing in the best division in football in a down year. Yes, this is still the best division in Tennessee, but let's be realistic, it is not where it has been.

You are right about the fan bases; should be a great Friday night in Middle Tennessee!

Good Luck

For some reason this bickering about monumental, and monumental being reduced to very significant...for some reason, reminds me of election night coverage on TV? I have no clue why, but it does. Anyways, I'll throw my two cents in. The last time I saw these two teams was the OT game in Chat. couple years back where Vaughn hit the fgs to win. I've obviously missed some good ones since then. The edge has to go to BA. I think they should want it more after getting beat by McCallie earlier in the year and in the state championship last year. I'll be brief and to the point now. For the first time since week 7 I'll make a score prediction...

BA 21 McCallie 20 in OT AGAIN!