coaches always on the move

fooseball96

These days it seems that coaches stay for a few years and move on to the next job. And most of the time, the situation isn't a better one. I understand money is involved but to me it seems like coaches could care less about building a program. I mean Quarles at Maryville and his staff has to be the longest tenured staff in the state and we see where that's gotten them. Anyway maybe I'm just rambling but just my 2 cents.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be right.  I can think of a few Coaches who have been in the same place longer, but I don't recall any staff that has stayed together that long.  Typically a successful staff will not stay together that long as that success presents opportunities for the coordinator.  To me, that is the most amazing thing Coach Quarles has done..(keeping his staff together that long)

You may be right. I can think of a few Coaches who have been in the same place longer, but I don't recall any staff that has stayed together that long. Typically a successful staff will not stay together that long as that success presents opportunities for the coordinator. To me, that is the most amazing thing Coach Quarles has done..(keeping his staff together that long)

I agree, I mean not necessarily as long as Quarles staff but I mean 5 years for a coach at one school is rare lately

I think Coach Quarles told me he's had the same coordinators since 99. I'd be shocked if anyone has maintained the same staff at any level that long. 15 years!

Amazing. Ive been to a few Maryville games, and to me it seems that his coaches know him so well that he doesn't have to do much until somebody screws up and then he goes nuts lol. He's a perfectionist.

Edited by fooseball96

There's two sides to this.  Teams that are continually successful have kids move into their system to play football.  Therefore it makes it hard for coaches to leave even for alittle more money because they know the players will keep pouring in.  I.E. Maryville.  If you look at smaller schools in small towns, even if they win consistently, not very many people move into that town just to play football because no job opportunities.  You might say what about the schools like a Knox West, etc.  Well look at who they are competing with in their town to get those kids........  Therefore when the well runs dry or money comes up, they tend to take off.  I don't see this changing.

In the Knox west case, I can see why Cummings left. With the way Knox county is and competing with the private schools, he even said that. The program at Cleveland speaks for itself. Its not a program that he has to build and money isn't a issue. But I guess all situations are diff. But I'm just saying I guess schools can expect to have a coach then be in the same situation after a few years all over again rehiring. But I guess the part of the business.

Edited by fooseball96