How Much More Tainted Can the Chattanooga Times Free Press Best of Preps

Booger

How much more tainted can the Chattanooga Times Free Press Best of Preps be?....First off, congrats to all the kids in the Chattanooga area on great seasons and their selections to the Best of Preps :thumb:...Booger understands that the annual Best of Preps teams in all sports are opinionated selections and the the human factor effects it...Fair enough....Booger also understands that the Best of Preps is built around the Red Raider and Blue Tornado nation and that it is filled in around that.....It is driven towards 1st Team status and after that they honor the area athletes with 2nd and sometimes 3rd team titles depending on the size of the sport.....the majority of the selections to 1st teams every year are appointed to their respective place in Boogers opinion, but also every year the Chattanooga Times Free Press does a serious injustice to the system by unfairly relinquishing an obvious unanimous 1st Team selection to 2nd or 3rd Team status so that they may give that spot to one of their own.........let it be know that Booger has no one in position to lay claim to one of these teams, but he is a follower of this great sport and the hard work these kids and coaches put in on the mat.....case in point in this years Best of Preps wrestling  selections

.....how is it, that a kid that has won the last 2 state championships in 2 different weight classes, a best state championship match title and the favorite to win his 3rd championship next year, has a combined 57-10 record over those 2 seasons  (2 losses this season) be deligated to another 2nd team selection in his weight class and substituted by someone that had losses in the teens this season......there are 1 or 2 others that are probably more deserving than a 2nd and 3rd team appointment, but this one stands out the most....

Booger smells a hint of favoritism and it don't smell like roses​ 

Booger just sayin...... 

Using process of elimination I would assume (although I hate assuming) that you are referring to the 160lb weight class. Despite where either wrestler attends school, the student athlete on the first team is far superior to the 2nd team. I conclude this by the caliber of competition (both in and off season), watching both wrestle, and just plain common sense.

Admittedly politics plays a role, but the fact is McCallie and Baylor wrestle better competition, compete in the offseason, have better work out partners (especially from a numbers standpoint), and have superior coaching staffs. Facts are facts.  

Edited by Newestguy

Using process of elimination I would assume (although I hate assuming) that you are referring to the 160lb weight class. Despite where either wrestler attends school, the student athlete on the first team is far superior to the 2nd team. I conclude this by the caliber of competition (both in and off season), watching both wrestle, and just plain common sense.

Admittedly politics plays a role, but the fact is McCallie and Baylor wrestle better competition, compete in the offseason, have better work out partners (especially from a numbers standpoint), and have superior coaching staffs. Facts are facts.  

Well, I try to stay out of these kinds of discussions, and will state that this is a subjective award and as much doesn't really mean much to the boys involved. But you are wrong on three counts with both your statements and assumptions. First, he is talking about the 152 lb weight class.  Second, The 152 for ND had a single loss which he avenged in the state final, and Patton had 15 losses (they are both state champs which is all that really matters), but the difference in competition is a questionable equalizer. Third, which workout partner did Patton have that is a better workout than the workout partner Bankston had? 

I agree facts are facts. You are citing your own opinions.

No sir, your process of elimination is incorrect. 160 it is not, but that 160 may stick where it is. Though opininated it may be, and Booger almost always respects an opinion, not always agreeing.....for instance; the idea that you think the student athlete on the Chattanooga Times Free Press 1st team Best of Preps (in any sport) is far superior than the one on the 2nd team has you treading water with ankle weights and is far from being common sense.....That shows me that you are completely bias if you are up to par on the local wrestling scene,......subjective as the awards may be

Take the 120lb class for instance; you have a junior on 2nd team that just won his 2nd state championship in a row and had a podium finish his freshman year, has 2 losses in the last 2 years Booger believes and has to be favored to have a perfect season next year and win his 3rd Championship...this kid is one of the best technical wrestlers in the area for sure.. there is fair enough support to say that the young man on 1st Team and deservingly so, that is also a multi-state champion and committed to WV and Booger could not argue should not be there....though the 2nd team 120lb may be just as strong, just a year younger and it has not yet been decided where this young man will wrestle on the next level...a fairly tight race in my opinion.....w/out bias, this can not be said of the weight class for which this thread was started

As for McCallie and Baylor having better competition, not sure that just because it is DII, makes it so, though Father Ryan is a beast of a program.......The comment about McCallie and Baylor having better workout partners from a numbers stand point is definately a stretch of a comment....The Clevelands, Bradley Countys and Notre Dames have their fair share of state champions and podium finishers on the mats everyday to give the McCallies and Baylors all the workout they want Booger would think....this is not to take away from the history and tradition of those two schools by no means.....even though the 1st team selection in the 152 had 15 losses, he proved that loss record can't prevent you from winning a championship and kudos to him :thumb: ; but we are talking about a resumes for subjective selection to Best of Preps teams  

Agree with Spydr, facts are facts.....

Booger just sayin  :popcorneater:

What process of elimination are you using to come up with 160? Is the small school champion a 2 x state champ? I doubt Sutherland had losses in the teens the last few years combined even with their national level competition.

If anything the bias has been for the small school kids in years past. There was one last year that had me shocked, I think they had Michael Murphy on the third team in favor of a small division north Georgia wrestler and I'm not sure who the second teamer was. Take the coach of the year for example. Nothing against Yost or Cleveland but Baylor has beaten them 3-4 years in a row but yet you don't see the Baylor coach winning. ( sorry I forgot his name). I'm sure they do the best they can picking these teams. I'll look up both 152 lbers stats when I get home and see if they had common opponents. This kind of thing happens when you have multiple divisions and a million more in Georgia. It's all hypothetical.

How much more tainted can the Chattanooga Times Free Press Best of Preps be?....First off, congrats to all the kids in the Chattanooga area on great seasons and their selections to the Best of Preps :thumb:...Booger understands that the annual Best of Preps teams in all sports are opinionated selections and the the human factor effects it...Fair enough....Booger also understands that the Best of Preps is built around the Red Raider and Blue Tornado nation and that it is filled in around that.....It is driven towards 1st Team status and after that they honor the area athletes with 2nd and sometimes 3rd team titles depending on the size of the sport.....the majority of the selections to 1st teams every year are appointed to their respective place in Boogers opinion, but also every year the Chattanooga Times Free Press does a serious injustice to the system by unfairly relinquishing an obvious unanimous 1st Team selection to 2nd or 3rd Team status so that they may give that spot to one of their own.........let it be know that Booger has no one in position to lay claim to one of these teams, but he is a follower of this great sport and the hard work these kids and coaches put in on the mat.....case in point in this years Best of Preps wrestling  selections

.....how is it, that a kid that has won the last 2 state championships in 2 different weight classes, a best state championship match title and the favorite to win his 3rd championship next year, has a combined 57-10 record over those 2 seasons  (2 losses this season) be deligated to another 2nd team selection in his weight class and substituted by someone that had losses in the teens this season......there are 1 or 2 others that are probably more deserving than a 2nd and 3rd team appointment, but this one stands out the most....

Booger smells a hint of favoritism and it don't smell like roses​ 

Booger just sayin...... 

what process does the TFP use to determine who is first, etc?

one could be picky and say that a wrestler in the winners bracket at state in one division only has to get through 3 matches to get his championship (2 if he has a bye) and wrestlers in the the ohter divisions have to survive 4 matches....this variable noit need be a factor for this particular subjetive selection Booger dont think......only winning 2 tournaments (one being the state, which is the one that counts), 15 losses should nulify this case when the other did not loose a tourney, only had 1 loss I think (the Chattanooga Times Free Press want give the resume of the 2nd and 3rd teamers because they are far less superior than the 1st teamers as NewestGuy said)......I do think that someone with the same last name as the 1st teamer just gave a huge donation to Finley stadium and the new turf field Booge thinks....is there a connection and could this be a comparable stat that might be part of the selection process?????......They would not do that at the press would they

Boogar sayin smileys-money-702364.gif

I tried looking up the stats which was not easy as most of the Notre Dame wrestlers don't have profiles built in trackwrestling. It's been my opionion that the best of preps has favored the small schools and North Georgia based on their sometimes inflated records due to much easier competition. In the 152 lb class I'm suprised the Nd wrestler wasn't selected just based on past history of going with the better records to chose the members of best of preps. That being said... I agree with the current choice due to the Notre Dame wrestlers lack of competetion. If you look up his opponents he didn't wrestle any of the top kids in the state the entire year. There is a huge difference in his tournaments and opponents vs the McCallie wrestler. McCallie beat Father Ryan in the finals , the same Father Ryan wrestler beat the Notre Dame wrestler very easily the year prior. I'm not sure if they go back to last season when looking for common opponents but I had to go back that far to find one. Like others said, it's all hypothetical and each year there are probably mistakes but it's not easy to pick these teams especially if one wrestler doesn't really have many quality wins. As far as comparing the two tournaments what does the number of opponents have to do with anything if one group has far less talented wrestlers? You wrestled the d2 runner up in the same weight class and got majored by him the year before while the McCallie wrestler beat him. It's a shame that's the only common opponent there is to compare but just goes to show your level of competetion this year.

Edited by rgiii