Schools that care & Schools that don't

WaReAgLe3

I do not live in middle TN but I am a former girls basketball coach at two East Tennessee high schools, I think administrations care from a title 9 stand point, I think it's a couple of things. I truly believe girls don't. It's my opinion but with all these social media sites and smart phones most girls aren't as interested. Another issue is money. At certain schools, girls athletic teams don't bring in the fans. Example, I was at a soccer game Wednesday between Knox Catholic (the defending two time state champion) and Lenoir City. There were 10 people in the stands and I'm not exaggerating. A lot of teams are responsible for raising their own money and be self sustaining.

I coach girls basketball at Rossview and our administration is very supportive of female athletics, not just basketball. Our female athletic teams have traditionally been very successful in almost every sport. Softball has fallen off the last couple of years but I think they are on the way up now. Girls golf won state last year, basketball went to final four two years ago, tennis and soccer have won district championships in recent years. So I think the coaches and admin at Rossview absolutely care. I wish I could say the same for fans. At least for basketball, our gym doesn't start filling up until the 4th quarter in preparation for the boys game. We have won 20+ games for the past 6-7 years, been to the state tournament, won back to back district titles and still can't get more than a hundred or so people to show up at our games. It's pretty frustrating but I'm not sure what you do about it.