Stewie at Smyrna (and then at LaVergne)

nrgrizzlies

The north county round robin continues with Stewie at Smyrna and two week later at LHS.

Good win vs Overton last night for the RedHawks but I'm not so sure about being able to pass out of that wing-T in critical 3rd and long situations.  It seems like that new QB (Dye) could tear it up passing out of the shotgun.

I didn't know former LHS baseball coach Steve Williams was the Overton football coach now. How long has he been there?

The north county round robin continues with Stewie at Smyrna and two week later at LHS.

Good win vs Overton last night for the RedHawks but I'm not so sure about being able to pass out of that wing-T in critical 3rd and long situations. It seems like that new QB (Dye) could tear it up passing out of the shotgun.

I didn't know former LHS baseball coach Steve Williams was the Overton football coach now. How long has he been there?

It's his second season at Overton

I like that spread offense Williams was running.  The wing-t Martin had Stewie running was not like what Riverdale under Coach A.  It had little to no misdirection to it and started getting stuffed on the run and the QB running for his life on pass plays.  I hate to say it, but if they don't open that offense up some more, it could cost them a shot at making the playoffs which would be a shame.  

Stewie is much improved but will struggle with Smyrna. Smyrna by 14.

Unfortunately, I agree.  The loss of Perkins leaving Stewie for Smyrna and his cousin (?) Key Bradley to LaVergne makes the RedHawks around ten less points dangerous per game. They might have routed Overton if those two had stayed.  Bradley had the first TD in Stewie football history if I recall, a long run on the last play of the game at Ravenwood two years ago.

Perkins personally torched Page High for about 300 total yards (rushing, receiving, etc) two years ago in the RedHawks first ever scrimmage game. 

It was good to get the win against Lavergne. Much like that game my Bulldogs will have to forget about past history against Stewarts Creek. They have improved in a lot of areas. QB play is one area. Bulldog defense played well against Lavergne.Run defense could use some work. But I like the goal line stand late when it counted. Got to cut out the 15 yard penalties and the turnovers. My bulldogs come out on top. Not a cake walk though. Go Dawgs!!!

I DVR'd that game and watched it yesterday.  Smyrna was very fortunate Key Bradley dropped what could have been the game winning pick-6.  LaVergne should have kicked a FG on 4th down and didn't do it (might have won in OT, maybe not, you never know)... the INT that sealed it for Smyrna was a trapped ball that hit the ground (but why is Stanton Stevens still so in love with that sideline fly route anyway?  He's been calling it ever since he got to LHS and it only worked good that I recall when the Jernighan kid was there but he's at WKU now)

Even if Stewie doesn't snag a win over either neighboring school, they have Franklin County for a home game in between and can still be 2-2 after four weeks and that's not bad.  It would still be in contention for a 5a playoff spot.  Maybe.

I DVR'd that game and watched it yesterday.  Smyrna was very fortunate Key Bradley dropped what could have been the game winning pick-6.  LaVergne should have kicked a FG on 4th down and didn't do it (might have won in OT, maybe not, you never know)... the INT that sealed it for Smyrna was a trapped ball that hit the ground (but why is Stanton Stevens still so in love with that sideline fly route anyway?  He's been calling it ever since he got to LHS and it only worked good that I recall when the Jernighan kid was there but he's at WKU now)

Even if Stewie doesn't snag a win over either neighboring school, they have Franklin County for a home game in between and can still be 2-2 after four weeks and that's not bad.  It would still be in contention for a 5a playoff spot.  Maybe.

NR looking at Stewie's schedule I see five wins minimum. I don't know anything about shelbyville or Columbia. And if your firing on all cylinders and healthy I think you get the win against Licoln Co. Could turn out to be a big year for the Red Hawks.

Isn't Shelbyville supposed to be pretty good?

Another concern was how SC kind of lost their focus on offense when they went up 16-0.  I think the next time they got the ball, they ended up in a 3rd and 40 or some such ridiculous down-distance.  There was lots to work on after the Overton win.  They will need to continue improving every week to be a playoff team.  No steps backwards.

I wasn't at the game but from watching an app and getting updates look like we shot ourselves in the foot a couple of times in the first half with ball security and penalties (discipline), but started to turn it around late in the second qtr. defense bowed their necks in the second half with a pick six to seal the win. The offense finally put it together in the second half. Good win for not playing your best. That's what your suppose to do. Overcome your mistakes and continue to grow. Good job Bulldogs. Good win!!!

Edited by milo118