Prayer for Murfreesboro Wrestling Community

dakicker1219

Please be keeping the Murfreesboro Wrestling Community in your prayers, specifically the Siegel Wrestling Community as one of their own, Mason Loupe (sophomore), was life-flighted to Vanderbilt Saturday after being shot. His status is still undetermined and he is on life support. Things are better than they were Saturday but they still don't know what the outcome is going to be. The community showed great support when they gathered together last night at the high school for a candle light vigil last night but your prayers for Mason, his family, and the community is greatly appreciated by all of those who knew him. Thank you for everything

Multiple school support for recent wrestling family losses...

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/09/03/siegel-oakland-football-play-after-difficult-week/71579138/

Football fields provide healing grounds for community

Tom Kreager, tkreager@dnj.com11 hours agoFacebookTwitterGoogle Plusmore

HELEN COMER/DNJ

Siegel Cheerleaders, from left, Delaina McDonald, a junior; Sydney Myers, a more

HELEN COMER/DNJ

Siegel Cheerleaders, from left, Lexi Davis, a senior; Delaina McDonald, a more

MURFREESBORO Two days later, Siegel High will return to the football field with memories of teammate Mason Loupe in their hearts.

The sophomore two-sport athlete died Wednesday afternoon, four days after he sustained a gunshot wound to his head.

However, things now will begin to slowly return to normal, albeit a new normal. The Stars play at 7 p.m. Friday at Oakland's Ray Hughes Stadium in both teams' first Region 2-6A contest.

"Sports is a healing mechanism," Siegel coach Greg Wyant said. "I'm not sure if we ever thought about postponing the game at all. Of course, this was an ongoing situation. It was a thing that changed daily."

MTSU professor emeritus Mark Anshel said playing the game is likely the best thing for both the teams as well as the community.

"You have to rely on routines and getting back to normal behaviors as quickly as possible," said Anshel, who taught in the department of health and human performance. "But you don't want to deny expressing emotions, including anger and depression that this has happened."

Both teams plan on paying tribute to Loupe at the game. Loupe was well-known by students at both schools. He attended Oakland Middle before going to Siegel.

Oakland will have a moment of silence before the game and ask for donations for the family. Both schools have been selling paper "Loops for Loupe" this week to help raise money for the Loupe family.

And Siegel players plan on wearing a decal on the back of their helmets.

"This game has a different feel," said Oakland first-year coach Kevin Creasy. "I don't know a lot about this rivalry. It makes sense that it would be that it would be a game that both sides would put a lot of emotion into.

"But with this going on, it just kind of puts things in perspective."

Getting back to normal

Wyant described the week as his toughest professionally he's had as a teacher and coach. He spent days in the classroom, counseling players while also preparing for a game against his school's biggest rival. He said he and his coaching staff had a game plan ahead of time that helped.

"Our whole thing this week was to keep our kids in a routine," he said. "We wanted to keep them distracted as much as possible."

And playing this game will continue to do that.

"It's a game," Wyant said. "That's all that it is. It's an extracurricular activity. It always will be an extracurricular activity.

"But it's also a great way for young men to learn how to become men and grow up. A football team is a great place to be in crisis times like right now. The average Joe that doesn't play on a team sport doesn't understand what you go through on a daily basis. It creates a bond."

That bond has increased this week as an entire county has sent prayers and support to Siegel.

Blackman wrestling coach Ronnie Bray is familiar with that community support.

In February, Blackman wrestler Daniel Winters died hours after qualifying for the state tournament when a car driven by a teammate rolled multiple times on Interstate 24.

Bray said he did his best to keep his wrestlers distracted by keeping them busy.

Bray has spoken to Siegel wrestling coach Lee Ramsey daily. Loupe was also a wrestler.

"Those are like our kids," said Bray, who is also a Blackman assistant football coach. "We treat all of those athletes like they are ours. I've got a 20-month-old son. But before I had my own, they were my sons.

"The good thing is while we are looked at as leaders, there are also preachers in the community and other people that can help give support. There are churches, parents and just the community that reaches out to us. That really helps out a lot."

Blaze remember teammate's mom

Blackman High has grieved this week for the loss of a parent.

Blackman football player Colin Simpson's mother, Kimberly Simpson, died Sunday from injuries sustained in an automobile accident.

Like Wyant, Blackman coach David Watson has tried to keep things in a routine for Simpson, a senior.

"We have tried to provide stability for him," Watson said. "We've just supported him and tried to make things as close to normal as we can for him.

"He practiced with us this week. But that choice was made by him and his dad. They felt it was important to be with people and be part of our football team because we're his family."

Reach Tom Kreager at 615-278-5168 and on Twitter @Kreager.

• Upvote 2