LCHS-LHS-Shelbyville-Stewie tie-breakers

nrgrizzlies

Can't have it both ways. Both chose to play in 5A

That is NOT trying to have it both ways.  Actually it's the opposite of that.

Everybody in 6a gets in...even winless teams...they don't have to earn their way in at all.  They could schedule the blind school outside their region and still get in.  Teams in 5a by total contrast have to earn their way in and rewarding a weak schedule contradicts that concept.  If LHS and Stewie had been put in a 6a region with Antioch and Overton, they already proved head to head, they would be considered superior to those metro teams.  Even when creek was a brand new football program that never had a weight program or 7-on-7 or anything, they went to McGavock and scrimmaged them toe-to-toe.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is NOT trying to have it both ways. Actually it's the opposite of that.

Everybody in 6a gets in...even winless teams...they don't have to earn their way in at all. They could schedule the blind school outside their region and still get in. Teams in 5a by total contrast have to earn their way in and rewarding a weak schedule contradicts that concept. If LHS and Stewie had been put in a 6a region with Antioch and Overton, they already proved head to head, they would be considered superior to those metro teams. Even when creek was a brand new football program that never had a weight program or 7-on-7 or anything, they went to McGavock and scrimmaged them toe-to-toe.

Exactly my point. LaVergne and SC could have played 6A and be guaranteed a spot. Neither choice is wrong, but the truth is you play a tough schedule to get ready for the playoffs and also to find out what kind of team you have. Prospect of being 6-4 stinks, but that's life.

LHS wouldn't even be in this situation if they played up to their talent level and not down to the competition

Mid TN football you are wrong there. Stewarts Creek was classified 5A. Lavernge was 6A and chose to move down when Maryville requested to move up so. Stewarts Creek didn't choose to move down they playing where they were placed.

That's right.  I urged Dyson to fight it, to stay in the Rutherford region with Smyrna, Blackman, etc. and he would not.   And then he turned around and went back to Williamson Co. schools.  

Oh well.  He's a good guy but I didn't agree with him on that part.  And now creek still has to play Overton and Smyrna AGAIN next season outside of the 5a schedule. :angry:

Mid TN football you are wrong there. Stewarts Creek was classified 5A. Lavernge was 6A and chose to move down when Maryville requested to move up so. Stewarts Creek didn't choose to move down they playing where they were placed.

SC could have chosen to play up, they didn't. Neither choice is wrong, and I believe SC made the right choice. However, I don't have much sympathy for 5A teams complaining about making the playoffs while playing a difficult schedule when they could have opted to move up and taken the sure thing.

That's right. I urged Dyson to fight it, to stay in the Rutherford region with Smyrna, Blackman, etc. and he would not. And then he turned around and went back to Williamson Co. schools.

Oh well. He's a good guy but I didn't agree with him on that part. And now creek still has to play Overton and Smyrna AGAIN next season outside of the 5a schedule. :angry:

The irony in it is that I think SC would have fared pretty well in Region 2-6A. Not sure they would have cracked the top 3, but they would have had a decent chance to host a playoff game at least once

Why as a 3rd year program would you choose to play up?? Why would any building program choose to build up. Big thing is I don't think overall record should be a tie breaker before strength of schedule. Everyone complained in the old plan about how teams scheduled easier opponents to get wins to guarantee playoff spots. Nothing really changed. Just shifting the problem.

Why as a 3rd year program would you choose to play up?? Why would any building program choose to build up. Big thing is I don't think overall record should be a tie breaker before strength of schedule. Everyone complained in the old plan about how teams scheduled easier opponents to get wins to guarantee playoff spots. Nothing really changed. Just shifting the problem.

That's right.  Wins over the two 6a metro school certainly provide some bragging rights when (private school near Bellevue)  comes around to poach area athletes.  Maybe the strength shown in beating 6a metro schools will help with that.  But if you miss the playoffs, it could work the other way.  I hope the T$$AA will be happy with their Warren Co. or Antioch at Maryville first round 6a playoff game.  Can they start the running clock before kickoff?

For one, sure saves some money doing so. Like I said, irony is that SC would have done pretty well in 6A. 6A really isn't that good so I don't think it'd be any more challenging than what they have now.

Truth is, if you have a soft schedule and play in a weak to average region, its going to show come playoff time. SC did themselves a favor trying to schedule good competition

That's right. Wins over the two 6a metro school certainly provide some bragging rights when (private school near Bellevue) comes around to poach area athletes. Maybe the strength shown in beating 6a metro schools will help with that. But if you miss the playoffs, it could work the other way. I hope the T$$AA will be happy with their Warren Co. or Antioch at Maryville first round 6a playoff game. Can they start the running clock before kickoff?

they will need to start it running before they leave for the game!! Lol