When Should I Introduce My Son to the Sport of Wrestling?

Mrfess

I love this question! My wife and I are at the point where we're talking about adopting kids. I would LOVE to see my kid wrestle, but I think there's wisdom in many of these posts. There IS, however, something I think we can take away from this: What matters is not so much when the child begins wrestling, learning, and being exposed to the sport. What really matters is when the child begins to COMPETE. Rolling around on a mat vs competing in a tournament entail radically different sets of emotions. I would encourage parents to wait on taking their kids to tournaments until they are ready. And that's something only you as a parent can see.

I love this question! My wife and I are at the point where we're talking about adopting kids. I would LOVE to see my kid wrestle, but I think there's wisdom in many of these posts. There IS, however, something I think we can take away from this: What matters is not so much when the child begins wrestling, learning, and being exposed to the sport. What really matters is when the child begins to COMPETE. Rolling around on a mat vs competing in a tournament entail radically different sets of emotions. I would encourage parents to wait on taking their kids to tournaments until they are ready. And that's something only you as a parent can see.

This was exactly my thought process. I may have taken this understanding for granted though. The issue is more about "competing" in the sport. The reason I took this for granted was because I don't know of anybody who has their kids simply attend youth wrestling practices. Competition is just part of the deal. And this is how I was brought into the sport as well. I literally wrestled for a couple weeks at the age of six, and then competed in my first tournament. But I really like the idea of easing the kid into the sport by way of rolling around on the mat in practices.