145- Pavia (Lake Norman) over Diehmer (Heritage) 5-2 Dec

152- Beyer (Bradley) over Nicholson (Christian Bros) 8-3 Dec

160- Croley (Pigeon Forge) over Brackett (Christian Bros) 3-0 Dec

170- Baltich (Lake Norman) over Eldridge (Woodford) 4-0 Dec

182- Carpenter (Heritage) over Sweatt (Christian Bros) 13-3 MD

195- Brown (Bradley) over Johnston (TC Roberson) 15-0 TFall

220- Walthall (Christian Bros) over Bagley (Science Hill) 4-2 Dec

285- Dabiero (Lake Norman) over Adams (Bradley) 3-2 Dec

We typically bring in a group of officials from Chattanooga along with some of our more seasoned East TN association. This year because the way the calendar feel there was more tournaments in the Chattanooga area which did not allow the Chattanooga group to attend. We used a combination of Knoxville and our local officials which if it would have been our best group possible there would have been no problem. Unfortunate for all involved we had only a few of our more experienced officials in the gym that day which made for a long day for wrestlers, coaches, and the officials. I actually felt bad for some of the younger officials that were put in a bad position that was a no win scenario for them no matter how consistent their calls were last weekend.

It was a great weekend with a lot of great wrestling, might have been the toughest Fandetti I have been a part of since coming to Science Hill.

• Upvote 1

Please bring the Chattanooga officials back next year.

Make the call now or reach out to Virginia for some veterans.

The competition level of this tournament has improved exponentially.

Get good ref's and you will continue to improve.

Not having the best officials possible was out of my control. The Chattanooga officials could not attend because their assigning official needed them for local tournaments in their area. The local officials that we have that are quality officials could not attend the event either so I was stuck with a crew unfamiliar to the level of competition that was in this event. Although we did have a few stripes in the gym this past weekend that did well given the rigor of calling so many tough matches and yes we also had officials that was in way over their head and instead of trying to rely on the better officials in the room for guidance or suggestions would rather just keep calling bad matches. I know my area doesn't have the best reputation for having great officials across the board but we do have some that work hard and do a good job, so to lump all of our area into that category is just not fair. The officials in Virginia are not world beaters and would not have been a fix to our problems last weekend. This tournament has and will continue to improve if we can get that guy who organizes this tournament to not suck as DaChamps says, maybe we can get his act together soon!

Ok...my $0.02...

Coach Miller, Myers, Price, Renner, etc. have run and did a run a fine night of duals and a great day of wrestling as usual. This is a quality tournament year-in and year-out. My opinion, with the exception of one official, the officiating was solid and, at a minimum, fairly consistent. Coaches and wrestlers have to make adjustments to each crew of officials at different tournaments and this year's Fandetti was no exception. We were at the Brawl in the Hall the previous weekend and it was about the same case as far as officiating is concerned. The one official that I had issues w/ at the BITH was in the JV gym at Fandetti...so, go figure. And, the one official at Fandetti that I had issues with (i.e. safety issues...calling potentially dangerous when necessary and knowing the difference b/t potentially dangerous situations and illegal holds) was pretty good at BITH the weekend before. So, again...go figure. Now, I'm not a "social" coach, but I didn't hear any other coaches complaining about not coming back due to officiating. And, the one officiating issue that Coach Lewis (CBHS) and I brought to tournament officials attention was handled almost immediately. So, my complaints are minimal if existent at all. We have been to several tournaments in the recent past w/ MUCH worse officiating and actually modified our schedule this season to avoid those tournaments and poor officiating. 

As long as the SHHS coaching crew will have us, we plan on returning. The competition level was up and more consistent, very similar to a few years ago when Soddy, FR, Heritage, and us were all battling it out w/ the NC and VA teams in the blood and medal rounds. 

Keep up the good work SHHS coaches and best of luck w/ the remainder of the season. 

Ben Smith

Bradley Wrestling 

Edited by drmedulla
  • Upvote 1