State Wrestling Tournament Perspective

wrestlingdad64

I just want to take the opportunity to thank the two referee's that screwed my son out of a semi final match by not awarding him a critical takedown with three feet in bounds.  There was a much bigger lesson awarded here.  A life lesson...  It doesn't matter how much or how hard you work at something the right thing doesn't always happen.  It's how you manage that disappointment that will help to build the kind of character which will make you a more successful and well rounded person.  As painful as it was witness, I am now thankful that it happened.   

I just want to take the opportunity to thank the two referee's that screwed my son out of a semi final match by not awarding him a critical takedown with three feet in bounds.  There was a much bigger lesson awarded here.  A life lesson...  It doesn't matter how much or how hard you work at something the right thing doesn't always happen.  It's how you manage that disappointment that will help to build the kind of character which will make you a more successful and well rounded person.  As painful as it was witness, I am now thankful that it happened.   

I have been there and done that except it was in the match to place after coming out of the championship bracket losing 3-1 to the state champ in the second round as a returning medalist and beating 2 ranked wrestlers in the consolations. It happens. Do I regret it? No. Am I mad about it? No, because a legacy and character are built on how you handle the loss. Could I hold on to it? Yes, it was my senior year and only gave me my 4th loss that season, but you do not leave anything to chance. You fight for what is yours and the fact is this sport owes you nothing. The only thing you deserve is the right to compete if you work for it. This sport is so much harder than anything else, because your mistake is magnified to the nth degree and the mistakes fall on you. Your son will grow from this hopefully and move on. Do not hold to this or it WILL define you and that is not what you want. Wrestling is only a sport, not life. Excel in other things to define what type of man or women you will be because that is what counts, not what kind of wrestler you were 30 years ago.