Region 1 Individual

KingGreene

Duals are done. Seeding meeting is tomorrow. Let's see what everyone has to say about our individual tournament.

Typically we have a lot of passionate fans from Region One on here, but this year it has mostly just been 1993Viking expressing his personal vendetta towards me. Let's see if we can give him something else to get excited about and bring out some of the old outspoken fans.

1993Viking, your boys are in the driver seat for the traditional Region title as they will get most their big guns to the finals. We will have to make up some ground on the backside to keep ourselves in the hunt.

Jeff County should qualify plenty and score pretty high as well.

Here are my guesses of the top 2/3 kids in each weight based on what I've seen this season. I'm sure I may have missed a kid or two worth noting, so let me know.

Trent Nelson (TN)

Tyler Seeley (SH)

Dillon Pendley (TN)

Bumgarner (DB)/McCrary (DC)

** Bumgarner beat McCrary earlier in season by decision, but McCrary could change the outcome **

Nathan Wysong (SH)

McCray (TN)/Kromoff (DC)

** Judson won the first by pin. Could see this semi going either way and will be important for TN in the team race**

Dillon Lemons (DB)

Dominic Fields (TN)

Logan Ferguson (TN)

Williams (SH)/English (JC)

** Haven't seen English compete at 132 yet. Could give Cooper a run in the semis if we're not on top of our game. Could also prove important in the team race for SH **

Dewey Pendley (TN)

Luke Story (SH)

Grayson Pridemore (SH)

Jared Harter (TN)

Arthur James (SH)

Bryson Henley (TN)

Chase Diehl (SH)

Josh Rapcan (DB)

** This is the most loaded weight class in our region with 4 returning state qualifiers. One of these tough kids will not be able to qualify but all will compete strong for one of those top 4 spots: Simerly (MW) / Poore (TN) / Workman (JC).... Poore needs to find a way to place in this loaded weight to help TN High in the team race. **

Logan Branham (VOL)

Lawson (JC)/ Kalogeros (SH)

** Kalogeros making the finals would really help in the team race for SH **

Weston Brown (SH)

???

** This weight seems pretty wide open at this point outside of Brown **

Jeremy Spangler (TN)

Denzel Medina (SH)

Nathan Scott (TN)

Brody Workman (JC)

HWT

Dakota Moungey (JC)

Zach Grzelkg (CC)

** Dwight Christian (VOL) also good here. he should qualify and could compete for one of the finalist spots. **

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically we have a lot of passionate fans from Region One on here, but this year it has mostly just been 1993Viking expressing his personal vendetta towards me. Let's see if we can give him something else to get excited about and bring out some of the old outspoken fans.

1993Viking, your boys are in the driver seat for the traditional Region title as they will get most their big guns to the finals. We will have to make up some ground on the backside to keep ourselves in the hunt.

Keep swinging little man, you might land one eventually. 

I don't know that the Vikings are in the drivers seat, but I can see the boys in maroon taking home 7-8 championships.  Or if they don't show up to wrestle like they should, could walk away with only 3-4 and leaving the door open for your boys to reclaim a region title. 

Looking forward to seeing your cute little outfit on Saturday KingGreene. 

Sorry, I'll be in a simple coaches shirt this weekend. But I should have an exciting new outfit for next Saturday in Franklin so maybe you'll be there to see that one.

Vikings are shoe ins as champs at a few weights. And then there will be a few exciting finals matchups that could go the way of their opponents. Most of those exciting matchups should most likely be with us. So we may have the ability to take away some of those points in the finals. But what will make the difference for us is going to be in the consolations. Almost all, if not every one, of the Viking qualifiers will be in the finals. We will have some make the finals but most the rest we expect to battle back for top 4.

Edited by KingGreene

Hard to argue against 152 being the best match with two returning state medalists who saw each other 3 times last year! Should be a great one like all 3 last season. Arthur got 2/3 last year and that pin for 5th was in OT, so it's not like Bryson dominated that match. However, Bryson is much bigger now and has been wrestling 160 all season. Arthur is a small 152 normally weighing under 150, so it will be a tough test for Arthur to handle that size.

Charpenter and Hill both have a good chance at getting in there at #3.

Hard to argue against 152 being the best match with two returning state medalists who saw each other 3 times last year! Should be a great one like all 3 last season. Arthur got 2/3 last year and that pin for 5th was in OT, so it's not like Bryson dominated that match. However, Bryson is much bigger now and has been wrestling 160 all season. Arthur is a small 152 normally weighing under 150, so it will be a tough test for Arthur to handle that size.

Charpenter and Hill both have a good chance at getting in there at #3.

I know it will be a great match and very well could go in OT this time as well. The size difference this year is a big factor. Bryson was wrestling #1 170 last week to a close match and like you said 160 all season.

I don't think it's really as big of a factor as you think because the kid he drills with and wrestles live with every day is one of the few kids who has beaten Bryson this year. That same kid went with the #2 170, took him down twice to go into OT and came very close to a third time for the win. Arthur wrestles him every day and defends his shots and takes him down. There is no clear cut winner between those two in our room.

Not only is he seeing that in the room everyday but with our tough schedule we put him in front of someone who can beat him almost every weekend. He has come through in many tough contested matches including one against Matthews from Bradley who beat Bryson last year at State. I'm pretty confident Bryson won't be the strongest or most skilled kid Arthur has wrestled this season. Not saying he can't beat him, but like I've said to my boys all season: We've been there. We wrestle those type of matches every weekend to prepare for these big ones. It's not new to us.

There is an argument to be made about him being bigger but there's also something to say about the kid having to cut weight compared to the one that is walking around under weight. I'd definitely rather my kid be the one walking into weigh ins light and happy after a meal (like all my kids except 106) with a good tough schedule under their belt than the kid cutting weight before the last tournament of the season. I know from experience it takes a while to get used to a weight cut. Dropping late in the season is risky business.

But still, ultimately the same conclusion. It could absolutely go either way. I don't have any guess, just a hope. But I would be very surprised to see it be a 4 point difference or a pin as you predict EZ. Just don't see that spread happening with the style of those two wrestlers.

It's definitely going to be best match. I hope Buzzy bought a plaque for them. Either way it's a shame because one of them will have to go into the state tournament unseeded.