Powell vs. Cumberland County

osunut2

The Panthers head to Crossville this week, with a chance to open the season 2-0 for the first time since 2012. The Jets were crushed by York last week, 46-0. I expect a close game this week, especially with Powell coming off of such an emotional win against Halls. Both teams need confidence-building wins, given the current state of each program.

Last week's win against Halls was unexpected, to say the least. Powell's defensive performance was shocking, given what we've seen since the beginning of 2014. Granted, the Red Devils lost a lot of talent during the offseason (particularly at QB), but the Panther defensive front was particularly effective at controlling the line of scrimmage after giving up an early TD. I was especially surprised at the number of times a defender got into the Halls' backfield. Hopefully this is a sign of an improved Powell defense.

Offensively, what impressed me by far was the effectiveness of the Powell offensive line, particularly in the 2nd half; the Panthers did a nice job of opening up holes for their running backs, which is something they've struggled to do for the last 3 seasons. The QB is young, and he has an unorthodox throwing motion, but he is a talented athlete. It helps when you have a number of other athletes at your disposal, at WR and in the backfield.

Can Powell get to 2-0? Or will Cumberland County bounce back from last week's drubbing versus York? Either way, the Panthers are in for a rude awakening next week...

Edited by osunut2

8 hours ago, Reddevil60 said:

Powell looked good Friday night , but Halls looked terrible ! very poorly coached team . Halls has some talent but are headed in the wrong direction. I think Powell is on the up finally, and Halls will be lucky to win a game this year, and hopefully have a new coach next year 

I don't think the coaching was that bad, but talent-wise, you guys have definitely taken a step back. Overton has you guys going in the right direction, especially when you consider what he inherited. Back-to-back winning seasons is pretty amazing when you look back at where Halls was in 2012.