BGIM 2017 - Week 2 Games

kwc

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memphis area high school football games to watch for Week 2

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 7:00 a.m. CT Aug. 23, 2017 | Updated 5:47 p.m. CT Aug. 23, 2017

Here is a look at The Commercial Appeal's top 10 games for Week 2 of the high school football season. This year, high school reporter John Varlas will be picking the winners of each featured game.

Game of the week

Ridgeway (0-1) at Whitehaven (1-0)

When: Saturday, 8 p.m.

Ridgeway struggled to put points on the board against MUS but as Owls' coach Bobby Alston pointed out, the Roadrunners will be a dangerous team. Whitehaven — which has won the last six games of the series — shut out Mitchell last week and has held seven of its last nine opponents to 10 points or less.

The pick: Whitehaven

KIPP (0-0) vs. Central (1-0)

When: Friday, 7 p.m., at Crump

Central — led by star defensive lineman and reigning Mr. Football Trevis Hopper — turned in a stellar defensive effort in Week 1 — holding Melrose to 10 total yards (minus-42 on the ground). It would be nice to see the offense get going against a KIPP team making its season debut.

The pick: Central

Craigmont (0-1) at Cordova (1-0)

When: Saturday, 8 p.m.

Coming off a rousing victory over East and with Whitehaven looming next week, the Wolves will want to make sure they don't overlook the Chiefs. Expect Jeremy Banks (285 yards, 3 TDs) to come through with another big effort thanks to Cordova's size advantage up front.

The pick: Cordova

Raleigh-Egypt (1-0) at Harding (0-1)

When: Friday, 7 p.m.

Pharaohs coach Major Wright praised his team's gumption after rallying to defeat Arlington after trailing by 15 at halftime. Likewise, the young Lions showed a lot of moxie in pushing Trezevant to the very end. Raleigh-Egypt running back Kalyn Grandberry (223 yards, 3 TDs) is the real deal and he'll be the difference here.

The pick: Raleigh-Egypt

St. Louis CBC (1-0) at CBHS (1-0)

When: Friday, 7 p.m.

The Cadets (11-2 last year) have won each of the last three meetings, two by lopsided margins. CBHS turned in a terrific defensive effort against Grenada and will be very good. But it will take a big effort to knock off CBC, which rolled up 69 points against Miller Career Academy.

The pick: CBC

Trezevant (1-0) vs. East (0-1)

When: Saturday, 5 p.m., at Whitehaven

Trezevant used a strong night from running back Jawa Fredrick to turn back Harding. East will be eager to show it's better than it looked against Cordova in this champion vs. champion matchup. The Mustangs' Keveon Mullins — who transferred from Trezevant — could be the difference-maker.

The pick: East

Germantown (1-0) at Houston (1-0)

When: Friday, 7 p.m.

It should be a charged atmosphere as these two rivals square off after opening with shutout victories. Confidence will be high on both sides and it could very well come down to playmakers. And that's where Germantown may have the edge.

The pick: Germantown

St. George's (1-0) at Arlington (0-1)

Bryan Payne (215 all-purpose yards, 3 TDs), Spencer Smith and Justin Bray did great imitations of Chase Hayden, Ben Glass and Corey Jones in the Gryphons' win over Center Hill. St. George's put up points, but coach David Carter said his young defense will need to be "lights out" against the Tigers and quarterback Tate Kolwyck (4 TD passes vs. Raleigh-Egypt last week).

The pick: Arlington

Bolton (0-1) at Bartlett (1-0) and Munford (1-0) at Millington (1-0)

Two more passionate rivalries with the added attraction of alliteration. Bartlett played well against Overton last week while Munford has won two straight in the M 'n M Bowl. But the Cougars will be wise not to look past Gabe Christopher and the Trojans.

The picks: Bartlett and Munford

Last week's record: 8-2 (missed on CBHS beating Grenada and Olive Branch defeating Collierville)

Season to date: 8-2

Other games

7 p.m. unless noted

Thursday: Wooddale vs. Hamilton at Crump; Westwood vs. Oakhaven at Freeman 

Friday: Briarcrest at Goodpasture; Brighton at Dyersburg; Center Hill at Collierville; Hillcrest at ECS; Fayette Academy at Jackson Trinity Christian; Mitchell vs. Fayette-Ware at Freeman; Covington at FACS; DeSoto Central vs. White Station at the Fairgrounds; Kingsbury at MUS; Melrose at Kirby; Freedom Prep at Ripley; Overton at St. Benedict; MAHS at Bolivar Central; MASE at Memphis Nighthawks; Northpoint at Independence-Miss.; Davidson Academy at Rossville; Shannon-Miss. at Horn Lake; Hardin County at Lewisburg; Middle College at Hernando; Southaven at Olive Branch; West Memphis Christian at Marshall Academy 

Saturday: Cordova Classic at Cordova: Sheffield vs. Fairley, 3 p.m.; Southwind vs. Douglass, 5:30 p.m.

Reach John Varlas at john.varlas@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter @johnva

Edited by kwc

Memphis football teams that are on the rise after Week 1

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 8:00 a.m. CT Aug. 22, 2017 | Updated 5:13 p.m. CT Aug. 22, 2017

generic football

(Photo: Getty Images)

It's definitely too early to start reserving buses for Cookeville. But there are quite a few high school football teams that have reason to be pleased with themselves following Week 1.

Here are five teams whose stock is on the rise.

Germantown

Result: Defeated Jackson North Side, 48-0.

Why it was big: In winning their first opener in three years, the Red Devils dominated in front of an excited home crowd. North Side had just 4 yards of offense in the first half,  and Germantown led 41-0 with three minutes to go in the second quarter. It's the program's biggest margin of victory since a 54-0 victory over Kingsbury on Sept. 21, 2012.

Coach Chris Smith says: The atmosphere was pretty awesome. I looked up at one point and the "Red Devils" at the top of the stadium was shaking; I thought it was going to fall off. ... Our kids invested a lot in the offseason and we've had three good offseasons, not just one (Smith is in his third year). The chemistry seems better and I think we have more guys who are explosive on both sides of the ball.

This week: Friday at Houston

Houston

Last week: Defeated Brighton, 34-0.

Why it was big: Houston caught a bit of a break thanks to some key Brighton injuries but take nothing away from the Mustangs. Chris Colebank ran for 177 yards and three scores, and the defense made plays all game long as Houston won its opener for the first time since 2014.

Coach Will Hudgens says: Chris has been with us three years and had some good backs ahead of him, but he's making the most of his chance.  If he didn't run as hard as he does you wouldn't know he was out there. (Monday) after practice, I asked if anybody had anything and he piped up, "I'd just like to thank the offensive line." That's the kind of guy he is.

This week: Friday vs. Germantown

Raleigh-Egypt

Result: Defeated Arlington, 36-35 in overtime.

Why it was big: If Raleigh-Egypt is going to contend state for a Class 3A state title like its fans hope, the Pharaohs will need to triumph over adversity. And they had plenty of that against the Tigers, trailing 21-6 at halftime before storming back to win on Kalynn Grandberry's touchdown run and subsequent two-point conversion. Grandberry finished with 243 yards and three scores while Victavious Taylor added 78 and two. Romal Webb paced the defense with 6.5 tackles, including a sack and a tackle-for-loss.

Coach Major Wright says: I think what jumped out was our character ... fighting off the frustration of being down at halftime and showing toughness on both sides of the ball. Sometimes you worry about them checking out when things don't go well ... but they surprised me. I think I was the only one in Raleigh that didn't think we'd win.

This week: Friday at Harding

Southwind

Last week: Defeated Fairley, 34-0.

Why it was big: Coach Rahnmann Slocum — who won his third straight game against his alma mater and the school he coached for 17 seasons — is forever looking for tough guys and may just have found a few. Southwind ran the ball well, controlled the clock by picking up first downs and kept its defense off the field.

Slocum says: We have a lot of work to do. We made some great plays, we made some bad plays, we made some stupid plays ... but if we keep playing with that tough-guy mentality and our defense continues to hunt and eat, we'll be OK. The kids believe in what we're trying to do; we're coaching them hard.

This week: Saturday vs. Douglass in the Cordova Classic.

Reach John Varlas at john.varlas@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter @johnvarlas.

1.      Wooddale   
2 Westwood  

Friday, August 25    

3 BTW   
4 Mitchell   
5 Hernando    
6 Kirby      
7 Raleigh Egypt   
8 DeSoto Central 
9 Central     
10 Ripley    
11 MAHS       
12 St. Benedict    
13 Germantown     
14 Bartlett      
15 MUS      
16 ECS      
17 Munford     
18 Covington       
19 Dyersburg    
20 Collierville    
21 Independence (MS)
22 CBC (MO)       
23 Trinity Christian  
24 Arlington     
25 Briarcrest     
26 MASE     

Saturday, August 26    
  at Cordova      

27 Fairley      
28 Southwind     
29 Cordova    

at Whitehaven      

East

31 Whitehaven

On 8/22/2017 at 4:16 PM, kwc said:
  Big Games in Memphis (BGIM)
  Week 2 Games - 2017  

Thursday, August 24

No.          
1 Wooddale vs Hamilton at Crump  
2 Oakhaven vs Westwood at JP Freeman  

Friday, August 25    

3 BTW vs MLK Prep at Raleigh Egypt  
4 Fayette Ware vs Mitchell at JP Freeman  
5 Middle College at Hernando    
6 Melrose at Kirby      
7 Raleigh Egypt at Harding Academy  
8 DeSoto Central vs White Station at Fairgrounds
9 KIPP vs Central at Crump    
10 Freedom Prep at Ripley    
11 MAHS at Bolivar      
12 Overton at St. Benedict    
13 Germantown at Houston    
14 Bolton at Bartlett      
15 Kingsbury at MUS      
16 Hillcrest at ECS      
17 Munford at Millington    
18 Covington at FACS      
19 Brighton at Dyersburg    
20 Center Hill at Collierville    
21 Northpoint Christian at Independence (MS)
22 CBC (MO) at CBHS      
23 Fayette Academy at Trinity Christian  
24 Arlington at St. George's    
25 Briarcrest at Goodpasture    
26 MASE at Memphis Nighthawks    

Saturday, August 26    
  at Cordova      

27 Sheffield vs Fairley      
28 Southwind vs Douglass    
29 Craigmont vs Cordova    

at Whitehaven      

30 East vs Trezevant      
31 Ridgeway vs Whitehaven    

1.) Wooddale

2.) Westwood

3.) MLK Prep

4.) Mitchell 

5.) Hernando 

6.) Kirby

7.) Harding Academy

8.) White Station

9.) Memphis Central

10.) Ripley

11.) Bolivar

12.) St. Benedict

13.) Germantown

14.) Bartlett

15.) MUS

16.) ECS

17.) Munford

18.) Covington

19.) Dyersburg 

20.) Collierville 

21.) Independence, MS

22.) CB High (MO)

23.) Trinity Christian

24.) Arlington

25.) Briarcrest Christian

26.) MASE

27.) Fairley 

28.) Southwind

29.) Cordova

30.) Memphis East

31.) Whitehaven

On 8/22/2017 at 4:16 PM, kwc said:
  Week 2 Games - 2017  

Thursday, August 24

No.          
1 Wooddale vs Hamilton at Crump  
2 Oakhaven vs Westwood at JP Freeman  

Friday, August 25    

3 BTW vs MLK Prep at Raleigh Egypt  
4 Fayette Ware vs Mitchell at JP Freeman  
5 Middle College at Hernando    
6 Melrose at Kirby      
7 Raleigh Egypt at Harding Academy  
8 DeSoto Central vs White Station at Fairgrounds
9 KIPP vs Central at Crump    
10 Freedom Prep at Ripley    
11 MAHS at Bolivar      
12 Overton at St. Benedict    
13 Germantown at Houston    
14 Bolton at Bartlett      
15 Kingsbury at MUS      
16 Hillcrest at ECS      
17 Munford at Millington    
18 Covington at FACS      
19 Brighton at Dyersburg    
20 Center Hill at Collierville    
21 Northpoint Christian at Independence (MS)
22 CBC (MO) at CBHS      
23 Fayette Academy at Trinity Christian  
24 Arlington at St. George's    
25 Briarcrest at Goodpasture    
26 MASE at Memphis Nighthawks    

Saturday, August 26    
  at Cordova      

27 Sheffield vs Fairley      
28 Southwind vs Douglass    
29 Craigmont vs Cordova    

at Whitehaven      

30 East vs Trezevant      
31 Ridgeway vs Whitehaven    

11 hours ago, BARTLETTHSGRAD04 said:

Havengrad and qb prez good luck to y'all in picks this week . To bad y'all are late for the first two games right kwc? What game is everyone headed to this Friday ? Gonna do the m and m bowl here in millington !

I think I should be good, I got my picks in before kickoff unless those were early games. My work schedule been kinda crazy, the first game I'll be able to attend is when we play Cordova. 

Edited by Havengrad04

6 hours ago, Havengrad04 said:

I think I should be good, I got my picks in before kickoff unless those were early games. My work schedule been kinda crazy, the first game I'll be able to attend is when we play Cordova. 

I think that both Havengrado4 and QBClubPrez got theirs in on time. I'm not certain, but I think they did.

Week 2 Games - 2017 (Winners)

No.  
1 Wooddale
2 Westwood
3 MLK Prep
4 Mitchell
5 Hernando
6 Kirby
7 Raleigh Egypt
8 White Station
9 Central