White County Football

WhiteCoWarrior

I have had enough and have bit my tongue about all I am willing to. I expected to get beat tonight but it is embarrassing to see the product that we are putting on the field. In four weeks we have been outscored 185-14. After the game the coach said to his players "I am not blaming these coaches anymore"! He could not be more wrong! Since July about 25 boys have either quit or have been run off by the coaches. These are boys that need football and have played all their lives.  It is a shame! THE OPTION IS NOT GOING TO WORK! We don't know how to coach it! You can not watch a youtube video of Georgia Tech and think you are an expert.  The coach supposedly called an expert in the option who told him to get rid of our big linemen and use smaller "tight-end and linebacker types" Guys who were being recruited to college to play OL got benched for quicker guys that can get to the second level (Wonder if he saw the380 pound guard for GT) . If they get to the second level  the ball carrier is tackled in the backfield. The only pancake blocks that have been made for the Warriors this year have come from the scout team offense that typically whips the starters in practice. Juniors and Seniors who have worked their butts off for years have been forced to play out of position or forced to watch from the sideline all together. The community sees the way things are and they are not supporting the program.  I don't care if we win a single ball game, I would just like to see our young men put in a position to compete. We are a 5A school and we are down to a little over 40 players.  Something has got to happen! What should be the best days of our boys lives are being turned into nothing more than a source of frustration. This is going to be a long season! I will be there cheering on all of the boys!  They are doing the best that they can! They have really not been given a chance.

How many winning seasons has White County had in the last 15-20 years? I get what you are saying that they aren't just losing but getting blown out on a weekly basis. But haven't they struggled pretty consistently over the years?

That amount of kids is tough and light for a 5A-6A program. But some of the better programs in the state do it with 35-45 player rosters. Which allows for more work on players that will actually be on the field as opposed to having a 75-90 player roster with a good number of kids that never see the field unless its a blow out.

I completely get what you are saying about running a system that clearly isn't working at this point into the season. I've seen it with other programs as well. Here lately I've seen a school running an offense that has a good amount of motion pre-snap and they have been getting penalized probably a good 7-8 times a game because of the motion.

Its the same with the option. I seen a team tonight that tried running the option and had 2 fumbles in the red zone because of bad pitches that might have cost them the ball game.

If you know that you don't have a good football program then you need to simplify. The more bells and whistles you have in your scheme the more chances you have for penalties, turnovers, negative plays etc. Which results in you just fighting yourself in quicksand.

Just saw the coach's comments after the game Friday. He totally threw his kids under the bus and took no responsibility. He talked about how the Cookeville coach had been there 5 years( translation please give me time) and how THEIR players played hard for them.  "The players will have to play with more heart and the coaches will continue to coach".(Thanks for the warning). I really wonder if coach cares about the damage he is doing to the program.  Yes I know we have traditionally been bad, but I am beginning to wonder if we can field a team in the next few years if something doesn't change.

3 hours ago, WhiteCoWarrior said:

Just saw the coach's comments after the game Friday. He totally threw his kids under the bus and took no responsibility. He talked about how the Cookeville coach had been there 5 years( translation please give me time) and how THEIR players played hard for them.  "The players will have to play with more heart and the coaches will continue to coach".(Thanks for the warning). I really wonder if coach cares about the damage he is doing to the program.  Yes I know we have traditionally been bad, but I am beginning to wonder if we can field a team in the next few years if something doesn't change.

I don't know what they are going for with that Cookeville comparison. I guess I do (like you said they want some time) but it doesn't make sense.

Jimmy Maynord is 31-13 since taking over at Cookeville. He has over 200+ career wins and has posted 6+ wins every year since 1995 with Upperman, Smith Co. or Cookeville. His teams have always played hard and been ready to play. So yeah that whole "5 years" statement doesn't make any sense.

13 hours ago, steelcityroller said:

I don't know what they are going for with that Cookeville comparison. I guess I do (like you said they want some time) but it doesn't make sense.

Jimmy Maynord is 31-13 since taking over at Cookeville. He has over 200+ career wins and has posted 6+ wins every year since 1995 with Upperman, Smith Co. or Cookeville. His teams have always played hard and been ready to play. So yeah that whole "5 years" statement doesn't make any sense.

Remember also that Jimmy Maynord was head coach at White County for about 5 years back in the '80's. He left WC to go to Riverdale and be the DC under Rankin. Got a ring there. 

White County beat Cookeville in both 1986 & 1987. The last year they beat us two straight. Who was the coach? Jimmy Maynord. 

5 hours ago, WhiteCoWarrior said:

Don't tell me that you need 5 years to turn things around. We play Franklin County (3-7 last year) this week. A first year coach has them 3-1. The community is excited about the team again and Coach Mac is getting guys out of the halls onto the field. A good coach makes all the difference.

Yep. A good head coach means everything in high school. This ain't college. Don't need 3 years for your recruits to get in. Most schools the same size have the same talent in the halls somewhere. 

On 9/8/2017 at 10:20 PM, WhiteCoWarrior said:

I have had enough and have bit my tongue about all I am willing to. I expected to get beat tonight but it is embarrassing to see the product that we are putting on the field. In four weeks we have been outscored 185-14. After the game the coach said to his players "I am not blaming these coaches anymore"! He could not be more wrong! Since July about 25 boys have either quit or have been run off by the coaches. These are boys that need football and have played all their lives.  It is a shame! THE OPTION IS NOT GOING TO WORK! We don't know how to coach it! You can not watch a youtube video of Georgia Tech and think you are an expert.  The coach supposedly called an expert in the option who told him to get rid of our big linemen and use smaller "tight-end and linebacker types" Guys who were being recruited to college to play OL got benched for quicker guys that can get to the second level (Wonder if he saw the380 pound guard for GT) . If they get to the second level  the ball carrier is tackled in the backfield. The only pancake blocks that have been made for the Warriors this year have come from the scout team offense that typically whips the starters in practice. Juniors and Seniors who have worked their butts off for years have been forced to play out of position or forced to watch from the sideline all together. The community sees the way things are and they are not supporting the program.  I don't care if we win a single ball game, I would just like to see our young men put in a position to compete. We are a 5A school and we are down to a little over 40 players.  Something has got to happen! What should be the best days of our boys lives are being turned into nothing more than a source of frustration. This is going to be a long season! I will be there cheering on all of the boys!  They are doing the best that they can! They have really not been given a chance.

Just few questions...?

What are your ties to the program?

How much experience do you have to make these claims about what works versus what doesn't?

Are you at every practice and game?

Why didn't you apply for the job?

I can answer them I'm sure...

Pissed off dad!

Played jv high school football and plays madden!

Yes, bc "my little is the best player in the state, but the coaches are screwing him over!"

Because it is much easier to be a keyboard coward!

No I do not agree with the state of the program, the drop in numbers, nor the offensive system. But as an adult I'm not going get on here and take part in coach bashing for our children to see. You got a problem be a man and take it to the coach, principle, director, and/or board! Don't teach children it's okay to bash people through a keyboard!

Thanks,

A.D.