Lawrence Co. WINS

Guest auburnfreak

Guest auburnfreak

Lawrence Co 46 Giles Co 36

The annual clash of 2 of middle tn. powerhouse teams . Lawrence Co Spawn and Helton had 14 pts a piece . Giles Leslie had 14 pts also , it was a poor shooting game on both but it was caused by good defense on both teams . The main reason for victory was the defense effort against the Russel kid from Giles was held to 3 pts . But what I dont understand is why she kept playing after injuring her knee midway thru the 1st quarter . Why would the Giles coach keep playing any kid no matter who they are with risk to more serious injury (where were the parents) , it was only the first game of year and I know this is a big rivalry but at what cost do you go to win . Both these teams will win 30 games and go to State if they are lucky . They both are winners but I ask the coaches at what cost are willing subject your players to .

It was a good tough game played by both teams. First of all I talked to Jessica's dad and she's going to be fine. Her kneecap is going to bother her, but with a brace she'll be able to go. I know her dad and he would not let her play if it effected her health. She was taken to the doctor Wednesday and was cleared to play. She was injured, but not to the point of taking her out. She's a warrior and moved very well. She maintained her speed after she hurt the knee and was able to continue. I don't know the coach, but I feel he'd have pulled her if it were very serious. Jess will go on and have a great rest of the year. I look forward to LCHS vs Giles rematch later on in the season. It'll be another war. Two very good teams.

You are exactly right. Billy Mayfield would NEVER play a child who was risking serious injury. He is a class act and has the welfare of his girls as the number one priority of his teams.

Jess is an awesome competitor. She is a team player and wouldn't let anyone know if she was hurting. She is committed to the game and plays hard no matter what the circumstances. I do give LCHS some credit for some great defense, but I also know that Jess's injury to her knee affected her shot. You could see it when she would go up for a shot.

I am glad to hear that she is ok though. She is not only a top-notch athlete, but having had her in class I can attest to the fact that she is also a top-notch person.