Cheatham @ Lewis

In 2004 in Coach Halstead's first year as head coach at Sycamore they started the year 2-5 and I remember they were manhandled by both Page and Greenbrier that year.  They ended up winning their final 3 games that year and finished with a 5-5 record and just missed out on qualifying for the state playoffs.  

In 2006 Coach Halstead's team improve greatly over the course of the season.  They started that year 0-3 in the region and had to win at the horn against both Greenbrier and Macon County just to sneak into the State Playoffs.  Then when they got to the playoffs they beat a Meigs County team that won their region in the opening round, they beat a 10-1 Station Camp team that was receiving votes as being the state's best team in 3A that year in the second round, and reached the quarterfinals of the playoffs.

In 2007 Sycamore had a total rebuilding year after that great run the year before.  They started the season 3-4 and looked to be headed nowhere.  Then they won their final 3 games of the season and finished with a 6-4 record and missed the playoffs on a weird tiebreaker because DeKalb County ended up beating Macon County in the final game of the regular season.  

Fast forward to 2008 when again his Sycamore team snuck into the TSSAA State Playoffs as the region's #4 seed.  They beat a region championship Howard team to open the playoffs that year and did it in decisive fashion.  

My point is this.  This is the 22nd season of varsity football at Sycamore High School and if you look at the record books you'll see that Gary Halstead is the all-time winningest coach in the history of the football program.  In all of these instances listed (and you can also throw in 2009 also) his teams got better as the season progressed and they were greatly improved over the teams that started those particular years.  He will turn it around at Cheatham County.  If the kids, administration, and community will buy in and support him 100% they'll find this to be true at the end of the day.  

On 8/26/2020 at 9:00 PM, flyintheointment2019 said:

We finally got some new coaches who know what they are doing and everybody is gonna see what we are made of

The results are in. You're still made of warm, creamy butter. 

Get ready for another churning Friday night if it's not "too rainy" or "too windy" to play this week. 

43 minutes ago, FVJackets said:

Watched some of the video of the first game, stopping the option is not going to be much of an issue.  Your best option is to try to beat us with the arm.  You won't have a chance running the ball.  

They won't be able to throw either. Cheatham is outmatched across the board. They'll get there eventually but it won't be this year. Fairview will score on every possession until the jv goes in and probably even then too. Cheatham only scores on jv or a broken play. 

17 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

In 2004 in Coach Halstead's first year as head coach at Sycamore they started the year 2-5 and I remember they were manhandled by both Page and Greenbrier that year.  They ended up winning their final 3 games that year and finished with a 5-5 record and just missed out on qualifying for the state playoffs.  

In 2006 Coach Halstead's team improve greatly over the course of the season.  They started that year 0-3 in the region and had to win at the horn against both Greenbrier and Macon County just to sneak into the State Playoffs.  Then when they got to the playoffs they beat a Meigs County team that won their region in the opening round, they beat a 10-1 Station Camp team that was receiving votes as being the state's best team in 3A that year in the second round, and reached the quarterfinals of the playoffs.

In 2007 Sycamore had a total rebuilding year after that great run the year before.  They started the season 3-4 and looked to be headed nowhere.  Then they won their final 3 games of the season and finished with a 6-4 record and missed the playoffs on a weird tiebreaker because DeKalb County ended up beating Macon County in the final game of the regular season.  

Fast forward to 2008 when again his Sycamore team snuck into the TSSAA State Playoffs as the region's #4 seed.  They beat a region championship Howard team to open the playoffs that year and did it in decisive fashion.  

My point is this.  This is the 22nd season of varsity football at Sycamore High School and if you look at the record books you'll see that Gary Halstead is the all-time winningest coach in the history of the football program.  In all of these instances listed (and you can also throw in 2009 also) his teams got better as the season progressed and they were greatly improved over the teams that started those particular years.  He will turn it around at Cheatham County.  If the kids, administration, and community will buy in and support him 100% they'll find this to be true at the end of the day.  

Good post

On 9/1/2020 at 8:21 AM, Swarm said:

Get ready for another churning Friday night if it's not "too rainy" or "too windy" to play this week. 

Sounds like whoever was supposed to play Fairview last week was skeeeert....

Little rain and wind never hurt nobody... I've spent more than a few nights sleeping in the rain when Shelia kicked me out of the house.

2 hours ago, bolddust281 said:

Sounds like whoever was supposed to play Fairview last week was skeeeert....

Little rain and wind never hurt nobody... I've spent more than a few nights sleeping in the rain when Shelia kicked me out of the house.

It was a good decision to mutually drop the game.  Ripley was a worthy opponent and we look forward to playing them sometime.  We will look to play that game this year if additional games are dropped. 

The team that ran was East East Hickman.  They consider the game a rivalry.  We look at the game as a way to build stats and get our JV Friday night playing time.  

2 minutes ago, ChrisHughesisgenius said:

I do not like you talking trash about fellow region coaches. However, you are correct about the description of this years team and I agree that they will make a deep run in the playoffs.

He’s terrible too. I wish they could of had a three way scrimmage but then half of the region couldn’t play the season after the rebels got done with them. Did y’all see what we did to South Fulton? heck we even scared McEwen off the following week.

49 minutes ago, Rebelman69 said:

He’s terrible too. I wish they could of had a three way scrimmage but then half of the region couldn’t play the season after the rebels got done with them. Did y’all see what we did to South Fulton? heck we even scared McEwen off the following week.

I don't know what you're getting at. South Fulton was a Middle School team playing the JV team that is Stewart's football team. You just get out here and play my Eagles and you'll find out just how bad y'all are.