POWELL @ WEST IS FINALLY HERE! RIVALRY THURSDAY GAME!

keepitmoving

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

From what I see West is the real deal in Knoxville this year. Be great to see them and Maryville playing each other again. Congrats on a big win last night.

Thanks - but no thanks.  I’ve seen enough Maryville vs West games.

Oh wait this is the IFL so yeah - Maryville is lucky that they are ducking us up in 6A.  Why don’t they play some real competition down in 5A? But seriously - stay in 6A please. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 10/9/2020 at 9:35 AM, keepitmoving said:

Powell QB HAS a ways to go.....lol  Name me a better QB in 5a.......I'll wait.....If he didn't throw for 369 yards passing 3 TD, and ran one in for four total TD Powell loses by 50.  He had to try and make plays while running for his life out there.  Does he have some things to work on sure.  Is he perfect NO.  But he picked the "dominate" west defense apart.  For Powell to even be in the game last night with all the mistakes they made, shows they can beat West.  Hopefully they play again in the Playoffs.  Powell will bounce back.  I have said in the past I think West or Powell will win state.  I don't think there is any other teams to compete with them.  West is for real!

Side note....how many teams in HS football go 5 wide with a Sophomore QB....LOL 

On the night, Dance was better.  And the "how many teams in HS football go 5 wide w sophomore" thing may just be an insight into poor game plan and poor coaching.  I'm not saying it is, but conventional wisdom is conventional for a reason.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/9/2020 at 9:35 AM, keepitmoving said:

Powell QB HAS a ways to go.....lol  Name me a better QB in 5a.......I'll wait.....If he didn't throw for 369 yards passing 3 TD, and ran one in for four total TD Powell loses by 50.  He had to try and make plays while running for his life out there.  Does he have some things to work on sure.  Is he perfect NO.  But he picked the "dominate" west defense apart.  For Powell to even be in the game last night with all the mistakes they made, shows they can beat West.  Hopefully they play again in the Playoffs.  Powell will bounce back.  I have said in the past I think West or Powell will win state.  I don't think there is any other teams to compete with them.  West is for real!

Side note....how many teams in HS football go 5 wide with a Sophomore QB....LOL 

While running for his life??? I thought I read where you stated that Powell had the best OL in the state as well... did I make that at up or am I going to have to go back and look that up? Sorry Pops, but Powell will struggle to win championships if their D doesn’t improve and if they stay in 5 wide all night. Got to run the football at some point. Look forward to round 2.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 8:51 AM, guthook said:

On the night, Dance was better.  And the "how many teams in HS football go 5 wide w sophomore" thing may just be an insight into poor game plan and poor coaching.  I'm not saying it is, but conventional wisdom is conventional for a reason.

Dance was better?????  Did you watch the game.  lol  Powell QB 372 yards, 3TD, 1 rush TD, and yes 3 pics.  One was not his fault.  Dance was serviceable, and not called on to win games for West.  On the other hand if Powell QB didn't make plays or at least try to make plays, Powell loses by 50.  I could be the QB at West with those stud backs they have and beat most teams.  

17 hours ago, KnoxVil said:

While running for his life??? I thought I read where you stated that Powell had the best OL in the state as well... did I make that at up or am I going to have to go back and look that up? Sorry Pops, but Powell will struggle to win championships if their D doesn’t improve and if they stay in 5 wide all night. Got to run the football at some point. Look forward to round 2.

Ya I didn't say Powell O-line was the best.  I may have said Powell O-line is big.....?

17 hours ago, KnoxVil said:

Sorry Pops, but Powell will struggle to win championships if their D doesn’t improve and if they stay in 5 wide all night. Got to run the football at some point. Look forward to round 2.

Agreed. Until they get some beef on their D-line and establish a running game, they won't be making a trip to Cookeville.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Agreed. Until they get some beef on their D-line and establish a running game, they won't be making a trip to Cookeville.

Not sure why Lowe didn't rotate in the O-line on D-line when needed.  If Powell D plays like they did in the second half of that game, they will be fine.  They did a much better job on West in the second half.  Powell 100% needs to figure out the run game!  It makes no sense to me?  

On 10/11/2020 at 8:51 AM, guthook said:

I'm not sure I would say that Dance was clearly better, but he certainly made fewer mistakes. I think West did a tremendous job of mixing up their blitz packages, and that's what caused most of the issues for Powell's offensive line; I could be wrong, but West wasn't getting consistent pressure on Potts with a standard 4-man rush.

If these teams hook up again in November, it'll be interesting to see how Powell adjusts to defense. Staying in 5-wide sets isn't the answer, IMO.

5 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Not sure why Lowe didn't rotate in the O-line on D-line when needed.  If Powell D plays like they did in the second half of that game, they will be fine.  They did a much better job on West in the second half.  Powell 100% needs to figure out the run game!  It makes no sense to me?  

Powell made some second half defensive adjustments that were somewhat effective, which included rotating a few of the offensive linemen on the D-line. Their starters are just getting pushed around a lot week after week, and that happens when you are going up against bigger/stronger offensive linemen. Their rush ends are also susceptible to getting too far up-field, which was one big reason why Dance was able to step up and get loose on a few of those long scrambles.

As far as the run game goes, they just haven't committed to it. Brown and Stockton are good backs, but Lowe has been quick to abandon the running game when things haven't gone well, even against lesser competition. I think it might be interesting to see them mix in a few screen or draw plays, especially against athletic defenses like West, Central, and SD.

• Like 1

Going into this game I think most of east tennessee knew Powell strength and weakness based on the teams they have played and tv coverage. Given that I myself knew little about West as they were the unknown. I think it makes sense now to figure Powell will know much more better about West going into playoffs and we could see a totally different game plan.

• Like 1