Dead Period Hurts Small Schools

Skyhawk

The Dead Period hurts small rural schools, due to the lack of local prep leagues and traveling teams. This is becuase many coaches also have to coach their summer teams, and play in organized leagues. Each year the dead period hits when the tournaments begin (ie Dixie, Senior Babe Ruth)and these coaches and players have worked hard to get their teams in positions to win, and then must give the team up, or not participate. This is a problem in small, rural schools, and I just wondered if anyone had any insight into whether or not this problem should be addressed by the TSSAA.

You are absolutely correct. The dead period is at a terrible time for baseball and basketball. Many coaches at smaller schools are forced to coach their team in the summer and many league tournament are played during the dead period just as you said. The dead period also gives basketball a smaller time frame for summer camps. As a result, baseball and basketball often conflict in the summer. If the dead period was at a different time, both of these conflicts could be avoided. I do not disagree with the dead period at all. I think it is a great idea and I totally agree with its purpose. But, the dead period does not work for all sports at the same time. I think a better idea would be to just require all sports to take two weeks off in the summer at any point. The two designated weeks could be sent in to the TSSAA to prove that they are being taken. This way the scheduled dead period can be taken when avoids conflicts with everyone in the summer.

You are obviously missing the point, these kids that we are talking about do not play on AAU, or traveling teams, we are not talking about state powerhouses or anything like that, we are talking about kids who get to play 20 or 25 games in the summer in Dixie and Babe Ruth and live in small rural towns, these kids are going to play for someone, might as well be the coach whose job depends on their play in the spring.

Guest cole703

Wareagle,

First of all the TSSAA has absolutly zero control over AAU, select, or travel teams and they never will. The dead period is a stupid rule that punishes players that want to out work their competition. It hurts small rual schools with State & National Tournaments, AAU National Basketball Tournaments, and hits right before football practice begins when players need to be training the most so that they stay healthy during the season. If the state of Tennessee must have the "Communist Dead Period" it should be the week after "Spring Fling" ends. That would be at the start of Summer and would allow the small school coaches to work with their players at the most critical times.

[Edited by cole703 on 12-8-02 6:36A]

[Edited by cole703 on 12-8-02 6:37A]