Harding basketball

bcrest2

Harding is definitely the real deal this year. The Lions dominated a very good Loudon squad 66-38. I'm just worried about Briarcrest, the team that only has one returning starter who isn't very good anyway, a new head coach, and was lucky to even score against Harding in the Jamboree. Real scary! Harding will have a defining game next week, when they host one of the most athletic teams in Division II, Bishop Byrne. If Harding can pull out a win there, things will be looking great for the Lions. The outside game for Harding has really developed since last season. John Bradford has really worked to perfect a beautiful shot from beyond the arc. Harding is also getting some key rebounds. Their aggression on the boards this year will keep them in games despite their lack of height. Under Coach Pete Froedden, the Lions might just be the most disciplined and defensive teams in Division II. Trey Williams, who in the preseason was ranked as the #8 Senior in the Shelby-Metro area, will be a key leader on the court. Also making major contributions this season will be Sr. John Bradford, Sr. Justin Jenkins, and Jr. Adam Rodriguez. MUS, ECS, Lausanne, and Bishop Byrne look to be Harding's toughest competition in the West. Harding is in great position to take 1st in the West and compete in Murfreesboro. The Lions will begin their home season tonight against Jackson Christian School.

GO LIONS!!!

Loudon high school in TN? That's only about 6 hours away from Memphis, what were they doing playing them? Or was this another Loudon?

Harding is very dangerous was Bradford, Jenkins, Rodriguez, and Tre...Father Ryan is going to be very tough too, those guys play so hard, and they are physically very strong and all of them are about 6'3 to 6'4...they have a few guys that can really light it up from outside. The only team that will give Harding problems in the West will be ECS Eagles.

ECS has 6'1 Josh Meeks a true sharp shooter who has played on the varsity since the 9th grade, he's capable of getting 15-20 each game.

Brad Cottam at 6'8 really made his presence known the last time Harding played them in the West Regional first round. In fact, Harding is already smaller then last year, and I don't see them scoring from the inside against Cottam. Actually a missed layup with under a minute left in the ECS game proved to be very pivotal and one of the reasons Harding narrowly lost. Cottam is a very good athlete for his size and is getting recruited by SEC schools for football.

Matt Lea, 6'5 10th grade guard. He really had his coming out party as a ninth grader when he scored 28 against the Lions at their place in a game that Harding easily won. If Lea and Cottam can stay out of foul trouble, their height will be a problem for teams because they both can rebound and post up...Lea is a top 10 sophomore in the city of Memphis.

Harding, ECS, Lausanne/ MUS are my picks for this year to advance.

Harding welcomed back an old friend on Tuesday's home opener against Jackson Christian School. Former Harding Football Coach Jerry Escue, who is now the President of JCS received a warm welcome back to his former school and led the opening prayer. He couldn't have been too happy, however, after his Eagles left with a 79-49 loss to the Lions. Harding jumped out to an 11 point lead at one point at the end of the first quarter, only to see JCS erase the lead and come within one point of the Lions in the second quarter. At halftime, Harding led by 8, 43-35. Jackson Christian kept it close in the third, outscoring the Lions 12-11. In the fourth quarter, however, Harding ran away with it, outscoring the Eagles 25-2 for the 79-49 victory. Senior John Bradford led the Lions in scoring with 30 points. Trey Williams added 14 and several assists and rebounds. All 13 of the Lions made it onto the court, with 9 players scoring. Bradford started out by lighting it up on the outside for 3, and then Trey was able to find him down low a lot. He was tremendous on the boards, getting several put-back shots. Harding is showing tremendous promise for this season. The Lions are scheduled to play at Houston County on Friday, but that rumor has it that winter weather may cancel that game. Houston County is the home school of Harding's head coach, Pete Froedden. Hopefully the temps will get up high enough for safe travel.

GO LIONS!!!