Soccer troubles

1925Kee

Small school soccer seems to be in trouble in Tennessee. Just this season (boys), I know of three East TN teams that have been forced to shut down due to lack of numbers. Similar problems seem to be plaguing other schools that are still managing to field teams. I have not seen it this bad for five years. 

Perhaps this is not wide spread, but I'm curious to know if others are seeing the same thing. 

One of the major issues is that nationwide numbers are down for not only high school athletics but participation numbers are also  down for youth sports.  In school districts that have an after bus (bus used for kids that participate in all extracurricular activities the numbers seem to be staying steady.  IMO, with 50% of all marriages ending in divorce we are witnessing more children than ever being raised by a single parent and that parent is stretched super thin.  Often times that parent must work two and three jobs to keep food on the table and they don't have time to drive kids to practice, games, school plays, glee club, etc... I just spoke with a friend that is on the Christian County, KY school board.  He said that when they merge Christian County High School and Hopkinsville High School they will more than likely use an activities bus for the students.  

Edited by cbg