Smoky Bears Off-season thread

Bueller

16 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Not sure how things are going in Sevier County this up and coming season but the schedule looks softer than last year. I've always said it hurt the Bears back when they opened Piegon Forge in the early 2000's then when they recovered years later Northview opens and dose the same thing again. I really thought Northview would have done better in football by now since it's beginning but seems to just exist. They also took a big hit back in the early 60's when Seymour opened then took another one when the TSSAA hit them with the Death Penalty in 1966 for using a grown man to play among boy's for an upper hand. Not many people younger than me know that and I'm sure the way all history is being rewritten someone will say everyone caught Smokey Mountain Fever and they didn't field a team that year when no one is left to tell the real story. Even to this day everytime I go to Sevierville by myself somewhere down the road I'll say to myself, I wonder why Coach Tom Bass would have done something so stupid like that. At least they have some company from East Tennessee in that big TSSAA Hall of Shame with Austin-East when they were banned back in 1971 from every sport when they ransacked Stokley Atheletic Center over a bad call in a basketball game. Anyway before I get more sidetracked they have a favorable schedule especially getting rid of Knox West and I see a winning season, hate it their not playing Heritage.

Barney, I love your sport  history lessons. Your AE story connected with me. We, THE HILL, was suppose to open with AE, but the TSSAA said otherwise. We picked up highly vaunted Knox Bearden with Rocky Good, Jon Burnette and company. Let’s just say it was very Rocky and NOT good for Bearden in JC Town that knight.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Not sure how things are going in Sevier County this up and coming season but the schedule looks softer than last year. I've always said it hurt the Bears back when they opened Piegon Forge in the early 2000's then when they recovered years later Northview opens and dose the same thing again. I really thought Northview would have done better in football by now since it's beginning but seems to just exist. They also took a big hit back in the early 60's when Seymour opened then took another one when the TSSAA hit them with the Death Penalty in 1966 for using a grown man to play among boy's for an upper hand. Not many people younger than me know that and I'm sure the way all history is being rewritten someone will say everyone caught Smokey Mountain Fever and they didn't field a team that year when no one is left to tell the real story. Even to this day everytime I go to Sevierville by myself somewhere down the road I'll say to myself, I wonder why Coach Tom Bass would have done something so stupid like that. At least they have some company from East Tennessee in that big TSSAA Hall of Shame with Austin-East when they were banned back in 1971 from every sport when they ransacked Stokley Atheletic Center over a bad call in a basketball game. Anyway before I get more sidetracked they have a favorable schedule especially getting rid of Knox West and I see a winning season, hate it their not playing Heritage.

Barn dropping knowledge on the T.  PrideForce, LMAOc, notsowise50, FBistoophysicalforme, tlove13, and jan8675309, better call somebody. Barn got everyone at 226 cedar street emailing carrol mcmahan and trying to figure out what Barney is talking about.  But this ain’t nothing new in spencer clacks town. We’re still trying to gain the upper hand, rules be darned. 

I got a couple of text messages yesterday from people that never realized Sevier County got the death penalty in back in1966. All I can say is a lot of those people back in the day were born at home and didn't have a birth certificate or Tom Bass just took the kids word and played him anyways. The death penalty was really a little bit excessive in my opinion because they had three 9 game winning seasons in a row and went 3-6-2 in 1965. That 3 win season would have been a death sentence in itself as to robbed kids of getting to play football their senior season. It wasn't like Sevier County went to Stoklry Athletic Center and trashed the place like AE did. Actually one of my old coaches cut his teeth on his first job as an assistant coach on that 67 season when football returned before he came to Maryville. Lot of Maryville people on here that know him well did't know that.

2 hours ago, ThinkFastRunFast said:

I was born, raised and still live in Sevierville and had no idea about the death penalty myself. I'm not as seasoned as you two gentlemen but today, I can say I learned something new....

Unfortunately that did happen. I'm sure most people don't know about that who are 50 years old and younger. I'm sure some jealous team turned them in. Ask someone who may be in their mid 70's that's from Sevierville and they'll tell you.

Since we're talking about the past, Sevier County should have opened the pocket book and done everything they could of to kelp Terry Sweeney after the 1962 season instead of losing him to Middle Tennessee State as an assistant. Pretty sure that was a package deal since Chief Robertson who may be the best player in school history who committed to Georgia then went to MTSU with his coach. Sweeney ended up back in high school as a head coach at Bradley Central from 69-72 and is in the MTSU Hall of Fame. He was just 26 when he took over the program at Sevier County and had some great teams. Love to have seen The Chief play. I used to work with a guy who did and that's all he could talk about.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Since we're talking about the past, Sevier County should have opened the pocket book and done everything they could of to kelp Terry Sweeney after the 1962 season instead of losing him to Middle Tennessee State as an assistant. Pretty sure that was a package deal since Chief Robertson who may be the best player in school history who committed to Georgia then went to MTSU with his coach. Sweeney ended up back in high school as a head coach at Bradley Central from 69-72 and is in the MTSU Hall of Fame. He was just 26 when he took over the program at Sevier County and had some great teams. Love to have seen The Chief play. I used to work with a guy who did and that's all he could talk about.

I knew the Chief through wrestling. He was 10 or 11 years older than me. A fine fellow. He could demolish a hospitality room!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Cedar street should open a Barney College with all the history being taught. 

3 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Murph, I would assume you know  Pete Stanford.

Do you mean Pete Stafford. He coached just one year which was the 1967 season and went 3-6-1 then on to the Smokey Bowl and upset Powell 7-0 on Thanksgiving for their 4th win. Stafford was more well known as being head coach at South-Young in Knoxville for quite a few years but only stayed the 67 season with Sevier County. The Bears got Terry Sweeney to come back the following season in 68 but he could only muster a 5-4-2 season and left to coach Bradley Central the next year but he did go out with a big win in the Smokey Bowl against Newport 40-0. Sevier County could be bad as they could be but they always played in the Smokey Bowl every Thanksgiving.  Hard to believe a future Maryville High Head coach was on those staffs.

• Upvote 1