Scrimmage - South Side @ Covington

CHARGERFAN

Just came from today’s (7/28/23) scrimmage where the Covington Chargers hosted Jackson South Side. 

it was HOT despite the fact that they started at 9 AM. I lasted til they started playing the subs. At that point Covington led three scores to two. 

Covington looked great on offense. Senior QB Braden Gover looked sharp throwing the ball and had several good runs from scrimmage, including a TD.

Junior RB Skylan Smith was outstanding, starting the scoring with a 21 yard TD catch. He finished his day with a long TD run where he broke several tackles. I was impressed with his pass catching today.

Covington D held SS in check except for 2 long scores by their #4, where he tightroped the sidelines and the Chargers were unable to tackle him. Of course, those plays will give coach Kirby and staff something to work on. 

Next week I understand that Huntingdon will visit Covington. More on that later.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

3 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Just came from today’s (7/28/23) scrimmage where the Covington Chargers hosted Jackson South Side. 

it was HOT despite the fact that they started at 9 AM. I lasted til they started playing the subs. At that point Covington led three scores to two. 

Covington looked great on offense. Senior QB Braden Gover looked sharp throwing the ball and had several good runs from scrimmage, including a TD.

Junior RB Skylan Smith was outstanding, starting the scoring with a 21 yard TD catch. He finished his day with a long TD run where he broke several tackles. I was impressed with his pass catching today.

Covington D held SS in check except for 2 long scores by their #4, where he tightroped the sidelines and the Chargers were unable to tackle him. Of course, those plays will give coach Kirby and staff something to work on. 

Next wee I understand that Huntingdon will visit Covington. More on that later.

Are the chargers still running their standard offense (run run run) or are they starting to add more passing to their identity? 

1 hour ago, Dp81 said:

Are the chargers still running their standard offense (run run run) or are they starting to add more passing to their identity? 

Well, you can never be sure what you will see in the actual season, even if you watch all the scrimmages. Today, we threw the ball some. I remember though, that two or three years ago, we ran a spread offense in preseason, and opened with it vs. Munford. But, the next week we went back to the wing-T and ran that the rest of the year. 

Coach Kirby is known to give the opposition a little misdirection at times. Still, Braden Gover looks pretty comfortable and capable throwing the ball, so I expect that we will see that more this year. 

If Skylan Smith stays healthy, though, I expect that he will pile up lots of yardage running the ball this season. And, Covington will probably roll out one or two running backs that are surprises and that move the ball on the ground effectively. 

On 7/28/2023 at 4:18 PM, CHARGERFAN said:

Well, you can never be sure what you will see in the actual season, even if you watch all the scrimmages. Today, we threw the ball some. I remember though, that two or three years ago, we ran a spread offense in preseason, and opened with it vs. Munford. But, the next week we went back to the wing-T and ran that the rest of the year. 

Coach Kirby is known to give the opposition a little misdirection at times. Still, Braden Gover looks pretty comfortable and capable throwing the ball, so I expect that we will see that more this year. 

If Skylan Smith stays healthy, though, I expect that he will pile up lots of yardage running the ball this season. And, Covington will probably roll out one or two running backs that are surprises and that move the ball on the ground effectively. 

As a former charger, i wish for every year that they can get to that championship game and bring home that gold ball. With that being said, the chargers need to increase their pass attempts and give a little more to prep for rather than just running the ball. They have the talent to do so, especially this year. 

Go chargers!!

On 7/30/2023 at 10:54 AM, Dp81 said:

As a former charger, i wish for every year that they can get to that championship game and bring home that gold ball. With that being said, the chargers need to increase their pass attempts and give a little more to prep for rather than just running the ball. They have the talent to do so, especially this year. 

Go chargers!!

I cannot count the number of run oriented teams that have beat passing teams in the state championship game.