Do travel teams ‘give a notice’ if they plan to cut you?

taxo00

My daughter is on a 9u travel team. Initially she was one of the stronger players because it was a new team and they just wanted to fill a roster. The coach has a lot of softball connections and he’s slowly been adding some amazing talent to our team throughout the season. Now my daughter is sitting out more and she’s moved from infield to outfield positions. We like the team, the coach is pretty fair and really good with this age group. Great group of girls. I’m just worried that if he keeps finding better talent for next season 10u, she might not have a spot. She’s been batting better and moving herself up the batting lineup so maybe that’s a good sign? Would it be weird to ask the coach about her odds of making the team? She wants to play so I can have her tryout for other teams but we prefer to stay on this one. It seems like it might be tricky when it comes to accepting/declining offers especially since her club’s tryouts are a week or two after some of the other area teams. Any advice or insight would be appreciated!

Not always, the notice is by lack of playing time or change in treatment. If a coach is bringing in outside kids who were not originally on the team that is a another sign. Too many teams out there to get caught up in team turnover at this age. Let her play where she can get time, reps, develop and most importantly still want to play. As the previous poster said there is not loyalty in travel sports. If your kid was playing infield and now outfield without a discussion as to why, then that is also a red flag. Nothing wrong with a super athletic kid making that move if the coach goes down the reasons and is upfront as opposed to just taking up space. Too many families have made the OF a taboo spot. 

On 8/4/2023 at 6:48 AM, taxo00 said:

My daughter is on a 9u travel team. Initially she was one of the stronger players because it was a new team and they just wanted to fill a roster. The coach has a lot of softball connections and he’s slowly been adding some amazing talent to our team throughout the season. Now my daughter is sitting out more and she’s moved from infield to outfield positions. We like the team, the coach is pretty fair and really good with this age group. Great group of girls. I’m just worried that if he keeps finding better talent for next season 10u, she might not have a spot. She’s been batting better and moving herself up the batting lineup so maybe that’s a good sign? Would it be weird to ask the coach about her odds of making the team? She wants to play so I can have her tryout for other teams but we prefer to stay on this one. It seems like it might be tricky when it comes to accepting/declining offers especially since her club’s tryouts are a week or two after some of the other area teams https://192168ll.link/ . Any advice or insight would be appreciated!

i got this...