Covington @ Bolivar 9/15/23

CHARGERFAN

Covington goes on the road in week 5. We travel to Bolivar for a Region 7-3A game. Massey predicts a Charger win by 42-14. As I recall, Bolivar had a good young QB the last time we made this trip. I think he would still be playing, but I’m not sure. 

Covington is 2-2 entering this game. If I’m Bolivar, I come out throwing the ball. Even in a blowout win over Scott’s Hill Friday night, our secondary allowed them to complete 16 of 22 passes. Admittedly, they were short passes, since we only gave up 1 first down the entire game. Still, it tells me that opponents can pass against our defense. 

Junior RB Skylan Smith is on a roll. Last game he had 21 carries for 257 yards and 4 rushing TD’s, plus he returned the opening kick 89 yards for a TD and caught a 19 yards TD pass. If he remains healthy, he’s going to be in line for some post-season honors.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

Carson Howell is a stud. Great young man and plays with an unbelievable amount of passion. I really enjoyed interacting with his family before, during, and after the game. 

Entering the game against the Trojans, Bolivar led 3A football with 46.5 points per game. Howell was the catalyst for those totals. Entering last night, he was responsible for 1,018 of Bolivar's 1,332 yards from scrimmage (76.4%) and scored 14 of Bolivar's 21 Touchdowns. One week ago he single-handedly got Bolivar back in the game against Ripley, getting the Tigers within one score after training 35-12 to start Q4. Last night, the young man was 18-33 for 251 yards and had 70 yards on 14 carries. On the night he accounted for 321 of the team's 324 yards from scrimmage. Although one of the incompletions was a pick six, Bolivar had at least eight dropped passes where the QB put the ball right on the hands of the receiver. I still feel Dyersburg would've won even if the receivers have a better night, but the game is much more interesting without the drops. Howell will stay in shotgun all night and they will spread the field. Prepare for a heavy dose of RPO. 

Special teams is a real challenge for Bolivar right now. They had one punt for 3 yards against Ripley and had a disastrous night on special teams last night. Backed up to their own endzone they had a 26 yard punt on an obvious punt formation. They had two Howell punts blocked on plays he lined up giving the illusion that they were going for it on 4th down. Their game day crew said an injury with their special teams unit is the cause of the issues. Bolivar has gone for two on all nine Touchdowns against Ripley and Dyersburg. At the end of the first half Bolivar cut the lead to 28-8 with a little over 1:00 left and the Trojans to get the ball to start Q3. I immediate said that special teams would doom the Tigers and it proved to be correct. Short Kickoff and Dburg took the first snap 57 yards to the house.

Because of the two defensive touchdowns (Ripley also had a pick six and scoop and score) and special teams issues Dyersburg seemed to always be on the Tiger side of the field. With that said, the numbers are a little skewed. Although Dburg had 43 points at the half, they only had 175 yards from scrimmage entering Q3.

4 hours ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

Carson Howell is a stud. Great young man and plays with an unbelievable amount of passion. I really enjoyed interacting with his family before, during, and after the game. 

Entering the game against the Trojans, Bolivar led 3A football with 46.5 points per game. Howell was the catalyst for those totals. Entering last night, he was responsible for 1,018 of Bolivar's 1,332 yards from scrimmage (76.4%) and scored 14 of Bolivar's 21 Touchdowns. One week ago he single-handedly got Bolivar back in the game against Ripley, getting the Tigers within one score after training 35-12 to start Q4. Last night, the young man was 18-33 for 251 yards and had 70 yards on 14 carries. On the night he accounted for 321 of the team's 324 yards from scrimmage. Although one of the incompletions was a pick six, Bolivar had at least eight dropped passes where the QB put the ball right on the hands of the receiver. I still feel Dyersburg would've won even if the receivers have a better night, but the game is much more interesting without the drops. Howell will stay in shotgun all night and they will spread the field. Prepare for a heavy dose of RPO. 

Special teams is a real challenge for Bolivar right now. They had one punt for 3 yards against Ripley and had a disastrous night on special teams last night. Backed up to their own endzone they had a 26 yard punt on an obvious punt formation. They had two Howell punts blocked on plays he lined up giving the illusion that they were going for it on 4th down. Their game day crew said an injury with their special teams unit is the cause of the issues. Bolivar has gone for two on all nine Touchdowns against Ripley and Dyersburg. At the end of the first half Bolivar cut the lead to 28-8 with a little over 1:00 left and the Trojans to get the ball to start Q3. I immediate said that special teams would doom the Tigers and it proved to be correct. Short Kickoff and Dburg took the first snap 57 yards to the house.

Because of the two defensive touchdowns (Ripley also had a pick six and scoop and score) and special teams issues Dyersburg seemed to always be on the Tiger side of the field. With that said, the numbers are a little skewed. Although Dburg had 43 points at the half, they only had 175 yards from scrimmage entering Q3.

I remember that the QB was good both passing and running, and that was two years ago. I recall thinking that if he had some help, Bolivar would really be dangerous. 

Here we are at the half-way point of this football season. Maybe the Charger defensive secondary will have learned some stuff after 4 games. We’ll see Friday night.

I have been impressed by Bolivar's offense this season. I want to say they were leading 3A in points scored till this week, still top 10. The QB is a tough football player. I remember a few years ago they were not putting up 100 points for the entire year. I am glad to see they are starting to put it together and compete a little bit. Do they still have a really small staff? last I heard they had 3 or 4 coaches, and really young coaches at that. 

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

The word I get from the Covington Gridiron Association is that tickets for Friday’s  game at Bolivar are only available online from the GoFan site. Evidently tickets will not be sold at the gate. 

So, be advised and have your electronic ticket from GoFan on your phone when you get there.

I’m assuming that prices aren’t agreed on for Region 7-3A games? I just noticed that they’re getting $9 for tickets through GoFan after the processing fee and they were selling tickets at the gate last week for $10. 

15 minutes ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

I’m assuming that prices aren’t agreed on for Region 7-3A games? I just noticed that they’re getting $9 for tickets through GoFan after the processing fee and they were selling tickets at the gate last week for $10. 

Not sure. I paid $8 cash at the gate at Dyersburg. As I recall, Munford was also $8. The Bolivar ticket was $8 but the GoFan fee pushed it to $9. 

I have season tickets at Covington, so don’t know what we are charging. In general, it seems that $8 is a pretty standard ticket price that I have paid at away games the last few years.

• Upvote 1