Rural West TN Basketball- Contenders?? Opinions

basketballfanatic3

** MY RURAL WEST10 OPINIONS** LONG READ

Humboldt and Union City should dominate the 1A area, Middleton lost Mr. Basketball and I'm not sure what West Carroll will look like. 

--

In 2A, I don't know what's around here. I'm not sure what Gibson County brings back, but coming outside of rural west 10, I think that Douglass has the be up there with Alcoa as the favorites, they had them in a tough championship game.

--

I'm a 3A Basketball Fan, loved the way Fulton dominated the tournament last year and watching Haywood dominate until the championship game. (against a Fulton team who flat out got hot, even on heavily contested shots).  In our area, this should be very fun watching how it all plays out. 

The North Sides, South Sides, and Chester County all have to go through the teams going toward Nashville for the region and sectional games. Chester County returns mostly everyone, I think if they can avoid an improved hard playing South Side team they'll be back in March. 

Dyersburg, South, Gibson (added) , and Dyer County are all in the same district along with Crockett. 

I watched Dyersburg this summer play a couple of games with out their big guy, the coach's son had developed tremendously. He can shoot the cover off the ball. They shoot the ball at a pretty decent clip as a team. They might be the best team in this district. 

Dyer County lost their guard and post kid to graduation, they looked really good last year with a lot of young guys until they slipped a few games towards the end of the season and  in the tourney.  

South Gibson plays at a high pace. They pressed a lot this summer when I saw them. I watched them play Haywood twice, Haywood dominated one game and South Gibson outsmarted Haywood at Bethel, and they pressed Haywood both times, very surprising. I think it will be a up between these (DC)  two for a spot in the District Championship against Dyersburg. 

The Rival District has had some old rivals leave and new old rivals join. Haywood is the only one left after Covington moved to the Memphis area region (with Munford and Brighton) and Ripley dropped to 2A. Old time rivals Fayette Ware and Bolivar join them in a District that is sure to have packed gyms most nights. Bolton is also in this district and I think that I was told that Lakeland isn't competing in Varsity Basketball this year. 

Bolivar- is guard heavy, they lost Anderson to graduation, they like to play fast, and look to push the tempo, Coach Crisp seems to be able to a lot of time get the best out of his players. I don't know if they have their point guard back from injury, I saw them at South Gibson this summer and couldn't tell if that was him or not. 

Fayette loses alot in Yates, they return a lot of experience, they have a knock down shooter, and nice forward who shoots the mid-range with ease, and I believe their point guard. They always play hard, pick you up full court and like to use their length and speed. They should be in the conversation for the District Title and to get to Murfreesboro.

Haywood lost a lot, but still has a lot to compete with and I think has a chance to get back to Murfreesboro. I got the chance to watch them at South Gibson and a little at BCAT. I think the key for them is #13. He looked great last year, but this summer at times he looked like he wanted to take a lot of shots, and wasn't real coachable. ( I could be wrong, but this is how it looked). A lot of time Haywood's coaches were yelling for them to move the ball. When they did it, it looked like it worked, so looks as if the struggle for them could be buy in. If they can buy in don't be surprised to see Coach Chatman and MS State legend Vanardo and other coaches back in Murfreesboro with their team. 

Memphis has also loaded up on transfers I've seen on social media. Ridgeway is one of the teams I've seen. 

--

4A - Memphis is always a gauntlet with that district that Arlington,Bartlett,Collierville, Cordova, Gtown, Houston, and Southwind and the other district in the region is Central, East, White Station, Overton, Whitehaven. (There has to be a way to split some of these schools up, a lot of talent gets sent home in the district tournament). Cordova loaded up over the summer with a couple of transfers, Bartlett is Bartlett, Coach Taggert and Collierville have improved as the years go on. Whitehaven lost Thedford to Cordova, we'll see how that affects them. 

-- 

Private Schools 

I AM A DEXTER WILLIAMS FAN! I'm excited to see what he does with an experienced TCA team this year. USJ is under a new coaching regime and JCS has also improved vastly. 

If you made it this far leave a reaction !! Thanks 

18 hours ago, basketballfanatic3 said:

** MY RURAL WEST10 OPINIONS** LONG READ

Humboldt and Union City should dominate the 1A area, Middleton lost Mr. Basketball and I'm not sure what West Carroll will look like. 

--

In 2A, I don't know what's around here. I'm not sure what Gibson County brings back, but coming outside of rural west 10, I think that Douglass has the be up there with Alcoa as the favorites, they had them in a tough championship game.

--

I'm a 3A Basketball Fan, loved the way Fulton dominated the tournament last year and watching Haywood dominate until the championship game. (against a Fulton team who flat out got hot, even on heavily contested shots).  In our area, this should be very fun watching how it all plays out. 

The North Sides, South Sides, and Chester County all have to go through the teams going toward Nashville for the region and sectional games. Chester County returns mostly everyone, I think if they can avoid an improved hard playing South Side team they'll be back in March. 

Dyersburg, South, Gibson (added) , and Dyer County are all in the same district along with Crockett. 

I watched Dyersburg this summer play a couple of games with out their big guy, the coach's son had developed tremendously. He can shoot the cover off the ball. They shoot the ball at a pretty decent clip as a team. They might be the best team in this district. 

Dyer County lost their guard and post kid to graduation, they looked really good last year with a lot of young guys until they slipped a few games towards the end of the season and  in the tourney.  

South Gibson plays at a high pace. They pressed a lot this summer when I saw them. I watched them play Haywood twice, Haywood dominated one game and South Gibson outsmarted Haywood at Bethel, and they pressed Haywood both times, very surprising. I think it will be a up between these (DC)  two for a spot in the District Championship against Dyersburg. 

The Rival District has had some old rivals leave and new old rivals join. Haywood is the only one left after Covington moved to the Memphis area region (with Munford and Brighton) and Ripley dropped to 2A. Old time rivals Fayette Ware and Bolivar join them in a District that is sure to have packed gyms most nights. Bolton is also in this district and I think that I was told that Lakeland isn't competing in Varsity Basketball this year. 

Bolivar- is guard heavy, they lost Anderson to graduation, they like to play fast, and look to push the tempo, Coach Crisp seems to be able to a lot of time get the best out of his players. I don't know if they have their point guard back from injury, I saw them at South Gibson this summer and couldn't tell if that was him or not. 

Fayette loses alot in Yates, they return a lot of experience, they have a knock down shooter, and nice forward who shoots the mid-range with ease, and I believe their point guard. They always play hard, pick you up full court and like to use their length and speed. They should be in the conversation for the District Title and to get to Murfreesboro.

Haywood lost a lot, but still has a lot to compete with and I think has a chance to get back to Murfreesboro. I got the chance to watch them at South Gibson and a little at BCAT. I think the key for them is #13. He looked great last year, but this summer at times he looked like he wanted to take a lot of shots, and wasn't real coachable. ( I could be wrong, but this is how it looked). A lot of time Haywood's coaches were yelling for them to move the ball. When they did it, it looked like it worked, so looks as if the struggle for them could be buy in. If they can buy in don't be surprised to see Coach Chatman and MS State legend Vanardo and other coaches back in Murfreesboro with their team. 

Memphis has also loaded up on transfers I've seen on social media. Ridgeway is one of the teams I've seen. 

--

4A - Memphis is always a gauntlet with that district that Arlington,Bartlett,Collierville, Cordova, Gtown, Houston, and Southwind and the other district in the region is Central, East, White Station, Overton, Whitehaven. (There has to be a way to split some of these schools up, a lot of talent gets sent home in the district tournament). Cordova loaded up over the summer with a couple of transfers, Bartlett is Bartlett, Coach Taggert and Collierville have improved as the years go on. Whitehaven lost Thedford to Cordova, we'll see how that affects them. 

-- 

Private Schools 

I AM A DEXTER WILLIAMS FAN! I'm excited to see what he does with an experienced TCA team this year. USJ is under a new coaching regime and JCS has also improved vastly. 

If you made it this far leave a reaction !! Thanks 

I'm a West TN Hoops fan too. Your spot on for your pre-season assessment. I track 3A closer than the other classifications.

Humboldt is going to be legit. Coach Abernathy's teams always gonna be in the conversation for a trip to state. They go to the state tournament this season. Union City has a senior guard that is going to give team fits. Coach Cisco will have a fun season. this kid can playing D2 and potentially small D1. He is probably the best player in the area

Gibson County graduated their big guy and their point guard so Coach Lowery will miss those guys. they will take a step back but still have a really good team. I look for Milan to be a contender this year. Coach James is a great coach and I saw them at Dyersburg this summer and they are really athletic and have some new faces.

Chester County can go back to the state tournament but I'm not sure they win their district. coach McPherson did a great job last season and will have them ready. South Side is going to be young again but saw them this summer at Union and they will be so much better than last season. They have some kids that can play. Coach Fuller is going to have them ready. Last season is going to be a huge motivator for this team. South Side teams are not use to that. North Side graduated their best players and lost a kid mid season to JCS. They take another step back. Coach Woods as his hands full. McNairy and coach Riley lost a lot. could be a tough year. Same for Lexington. Not sure if they will compete. Hardin County is intriguing. Their coach did a great job last season and I got a feeling they are going to be better next season. Went to a region semi and got beat by South Gibson.

Dyersburg with their big kid healthy wins that District going away. Coach Mahaffey is a great coach and his son will be district MVP. Obion County will be a surprisingly good team. I saw them at Union and Coach Turner is a great coach. They looked really good. Not sure what Crockett will be with Coach Rudesill but they graduated a lot. South Gibson looked like an entirely new team. I didn't recognize one kid from last year's district championship/SubState team when I saw them play at Dyersburg but Coach Runyon's teams always play hard and they really did play hard and fast. Very Surprised he pressed  the entire game and I wonder if they will actually press when season starts. Coach McCord is a proven winner and will compete in that district. Plus Dyer County is one of the largest 3A schools in the state so they have a ton of kids at the school to pull from.

Coach Chearis and Fayette Ware will be interesting. They lost Mr. Basketball so how will they react to not having him on the roster. They may win that District

Coach Chapman at Haywood lost his son who was his best player and made them go. Also graduated a few other pieces. They will be good and use to winning. They have a chance to win that district as well

Coach Crisp at Bolivar will be the same as they are every year. They are going to guard you full court, create chaos and shoot a lot of 3's. they will play really fast. They have a chance to win that district.

Bolton will have a tough time in this district.

4A... No idea and honestly don't follow very closely

JCS is going to be very good. Especially when they get to Christmas and have the transfers eligible. Coach Teichman is a great coach and will have them ready. TCA is going to be really good. Twins transferred in this season and rumor is they are both great players and will have immediate impact. Coach Williams is probably one of the best coaches in the area and his son can play! USJ will be about the same as last season. Methodical and efficient. Coach Jones teams are offensively so good at running his sets and they don't seem to mind to have 45 second possessions. 

Who did I overlook?

talent looks to be down a little in West TN. i got to watch a few schools this summer . I thought the talented and athletic Sacred Heart team would be back and ready to complete the championship run, but I heard they all left. Haywood might be the next most talented and athletic team in our area. (i don’t know much about fayette county and teams toward memphis). watching Haywood this summer, they looked talented, but uncoachable. The #13 didn’t look like his listened or cared about anything Coach Duke was trying to tell him. Looks like he wanted to run the show. He’s athletic, i’m not sure how skilled he is. He likes to dribble the air out of the ball lol. But i’m sure Coach Duke and staff will have all of that turned around by the start of the season

On 9/23/2023 at 5:51 PM, Basketballlover1 said:

talent looks to be down a little in West TN. i got to watch a few schools this summer . I thought the talented and athletic Sacred Heart team would be back and ready to complete the championship run, but I heard they all left. Haywood might be the next most talented and athletic team in our area. (i don’t know much about fayette county and teams toward memphis). watching Haywood this summer, they looked talented, but uncoachable. The #13 didn’t look like his listened or cared about anything Coach Duke was trying to tell him. Looks like he wanted to run the show. He’s athletic, i’m not sure how skilled he is. He likes to dribble the air out of the ball lol. But i’m sure Coach Duke and staff will have all of that turned around by the start of the season

Talent has been down in West TN for a while. 

• 2 weeks later...

some things I am hearing:

South Side is going to be back to what we have been use to this year.

JCS has 3 D-1 athletes on their hoops team

Lexington has a legit post 

Dyersburg is the total package

South Gibson has some kids that didn't play last year that will be playing this year.

Humboldt is going to be scary

JCM much imporved

21 hours ago, Tenn2013 said:

who are there D1 athletes, i know the mosley kid in football, but who have they picked up

Not sure who they were talking about but I watched their PG last season and I'm sure he is one of the other 2. His name is Shaw. They were talking about a transfer from North Side. No idea who and what he is like