No video cameras in Blue Cross Bowl?

my2sons

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ELA, thanks for your reply. I saw the order form on the TSSAA web site a few days ago and ordered a video, and am OK with a mid to late February delivery for my personal copy. However, this does not help the coaches who need this video now to help promote their kids who have a shot at the next level. Weren't the coaches supposed to get a copy really soon from the TSSAA after the championship games, and if so, what's the holdup? I guess I'm asking you because you seem to have a lot of knowledge concerning high school football in Tennessee, and how the TSSAA works.

If I were on one of the coaching staffs I would be on the phone to Ronnie Carter demanding a copy. Maybe they have, I don't know... if you lived in any of the areas where it was covered on TV, you could have recorded a copy directly on your VCR. I'll bet someone who reads these threads has a copy of the game!

Which game do you need?

Posted by my2sons:

ELA, thanks for your reply. I saw the order form on the TSSAA web site a few days ago and ordered a video, and am OK with a mid to late February delivery for my personal copy. However, this does not help the coaches who need this video now to help promote their kids who have a shot at the next level. Weren't the coaches supposed to get a copy really soon from the TSSAA after the championship games, and if so, what's the holdup? I guess I'm asking you because you seem to have a lot of knowledge concerning high school football in Tennessee, and how the TSSAA works.

ELA and Bighurt, thanks. I already have a copy of the game from TV, and so does our coach. It's just that a copy from a copy wouldn't be as good as a copy from an original. I tried to call the TSSAA this afteroon, but they are closed until Jan 2. Our coach did call the TSSAA earlier to get one, unsuccessfully. I guess a coach has to use his own intuition about how far to push anything with the TSSAA. Oh well, as granny used to say, "Beggars can't be choosers". We'll make do with what we have. Appreciate your input.

My2sons... if your son started on the state championship team, he already has 14 game videos to collect plenty of video from for recruiting purposes. Most colleges will not make a decision based on a video alone and I don't think your son will have a problem if he has the weight, height, strength, and speed to play at the next level. Good Luck!

The parents at the game cannot record their own copy but anyone with a VCR can record from the broadcast. Say what? If they are going to broadcast these games to 4,000,000 Tennesseans, why does it matter that the parents have a few hundred camcorders on hand? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

The same is true if you went to most rock concerts or college bowl games. This goes back to the basic question of "Will you follow the established rules, or do what the Heck you want to?" I've had these same types of discussions (debates) in class with my students. The fact is, we may not like the laws or regulations but we are obligated to obey them. It is the ETHICAL thing to do. I do think the two teams should have been given a copy of the master tape right after the game, but I understand that the TSSAA owns the "rights to the video production." The only time we can disobey a law or regulation is when we can justify it on the basis of morality! Most of my students think they should be able to "pick and choose" the laws they will obey, but this does not mesh with our system of government. It does make for an interesting debate, but the same thing is true when we talk about ABC's Monday Night Football (example). As a student rises up to play at a higher level, things change. Such is the case with the State Championship Game.

[Edited by ELA on 12-20-02 8:42P]

I agree we cannot pick which rules we obey. We should teach that and I'm confident ELA does teach just that. But while obeying, we should challenge things that can be improved. I would like to see the video camera rule changed, but I will not take one to the game until the rule is changed.