2023 Arby's Classic

TribalEmpire

Some soundbites from South Shore coach Shawn Mark as printed by the Bristol Herald Courier:

It wasn’t as much the calls that made Mark furious, but a matter of deportment by the three refs.

“You don’t call kids boy, OK,” Mark said. “You don’t call kids boy on the floor, OK. You know what I’m saying. I don’t even want to reference it; I don’t even want to go into it. “

Yet, Mark wasn’t finished.

“That was embarrassing,” Mark said. “That was very embarrassing. I’m gonna reiterate that – you don’t call a young man boy. In this time, this era, you don’t call kids boy, you understand? That’s not how you treat people that come up here to try to compete for your event. It’s not how you treat people.”

On Harlan County:

“We are 50 times better than them,” Mark said. “I don’t respect coach from the Harlan team, because you had your own relationship with the referees and that’s why we’re not shaking your hand, because you already knew the game was fixed. I don’t care if anybody wants to look at me funny or crazy, but what I just seen and what I endured and our kids being called boy – it’s ridiculous.”

I would agree with him on the “boy” thing. The part about Harlan just makes him sound like an upset toddler though. The refs didn't give South Shore a fair whistle in my opinion, but the coach from Harlan choosing to be overly friendly with the refs when he sees another coach who is irate, is just smart coaching. South Shore isn’t 50 times better than Harlan in any world either. I saw them twice before the Arby’s. They played sloppy and undisciplined both times. I don’t think they beat Harlan even with a fair whistle. Closer game sure, but they didn’t execute and couldn’t make shots. That whole part makes taking anything else he said seriously difficult. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 10:20 AM, TribalEmpire said:

Some soundbites from South Shore coach Shawn Mark as printed by the Bristol Herald Courier:

It wasn’t as much the calls that made Mark furious, but a matter of deportment by the three refs.

“You don’t call kids boy, OK,” Mark said. “You don’t call kids boy on the floor, OK. You know what I’m saying. I don’t even want to reference it; I don’t even want to go into it. “

Yet, Mark wasn’t finished.

“That was embarrassing,” Mark said. “That was very embarrassing. I’m gonna reiterate that – you don’t call a young man boy. In this time, this era, you don’t call kids boy, you understand? That’s not how you treat people that come up here to try to compete for your event. It’s not how you treat people.”

On Harlan County:

“We are 50 times better than them,” Mark said. “I don’t respect coach from the Harlan team, because you had your own relationship with the referees and that’s why we’re not shaking your hand, because you already knew the game was fixed. I don’t care if anybody wants to look at me funny or crazy, but what I just seen and what I endured and our kids being called boy – it’s ridiculous.”

I'd say no New York team will come back after this. Crazy how basketball is we lost by 34 against South Greene but tonight we beat them by 5.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 8:09 PM, JayinTN said:

Lyon County, 4 Star prospect Travis Perry UK signee and UT Martin signees Brody Shoulders. Average 90 points a game. 

I went and watched Lyon County in the All A tournament this weekend in Corbin, Kentucky.  Remembered this post from awhile back and thought I would comment.

Perry is very good.  Unfortunately all of the scoring came from him and #22 (Shoulders?) and they lost to Newport by 2.

So, I have a hard time believing they can win the overall state tournament now if they didn't even win the All A.  I think they'll make it to Rupp fairly easily though, because nobody in their region has been even close to beating them yet.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 7:54 AM, TribalEmpire said:

I went and watched Lyon County in the All A tournament this weekend in Corbin, Kentucky.  Remembered this post from awhile back and thought I would comment.

Perry is very good.  Unfortunately all of the scoring came from him and #22 (Shoulders?) and they lost to Newport by 2.

So, I have a hard time believing they can win the overall state tournament now if they didn't even win the All A.  I think they'll make it to Rupp fairly easily though, because nobody in their region has been even close to beating them yet.

Their 3rd player Reddick was injured at the All A, he is back now. 15 PPG and has D1 offers. He the 3rd best player. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 7:54 AM, TribalEmpire said:

Lyon County vs Harlan County for the state championship tonight. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 5:22 PM, JayinTN said:

Lyon County vs Harlan County for the state championship tonight. 

On 3/24/2024 at 3:57 PM, JayinTN said:

Lyon County wins the Kentucky State championship 

I saw both the semifinals and finals in person.  Was kind of conflicted on who to pull for with Harlan being the local team and Lyon being the 1A school.

Not sure why they play the semifinals and finals on the same day, but I would say that definitely hurt Harlan County as they only had two hours between their semifinal till they were warming up for the championship game.  And their fans have definitely voiced their displeasure on social media over it as well.