2023 Arby's Classic

TribalEmpire

The Arby's draw was held yesterday afternoon.  Here is the opening round schedule:

Tuesday, December 26:

• Game 1:  Tennessee High vs. Tabernacle Baptist (Bahamas) 1:00
  • Game 2:  Daniel Boone vs. Maryville 2:30
  • Game 3:  George Wythe vs. Dorman (SC) 4:00
  • Game 4:  Sullivan East vs. Mentor (OH) 5:30
  • Game 5:  Oak Ridge vs. Harlan County (KY) 7:00
  • Game 6:  Greeneville vs. Kell (GA) 8:30

Wednesday, December 27:

• Game 7:  Game 1 Loser vs. Game 2 Loser 1:30
  • Game 8:  Game 1 winner vs. Jackson-Reed (DC) 3:00
  • Game 9:  Independence (TN) vs. South Shore (NY) 4:30
  • Slam Dunk Contest 6:00
  • Game 10:  Dobyns-Bennett vs. Mater Lakes (FL) 7:15
  • Game 11:  Game 2 winner vs. Imhotep (PA) 8:45
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, EHSTrack06 said:

Why does Tabernacle get stuck in the play in game every year? I like the match-ups of local vs non local. 

It's supposed to be a blind draw, but pretty sure Tabernacle is always going to be in one of the play in games.  Not sure if it's because of the caliber of team they always bring (not the best to put it nicely) or what.

I was surprised to see Tennessee High in a play in game though.

30 minutes ago, TribalEmpire said:

It's supposed to be a blind draw, but pretty sure Tabernacle is always going to be in one of the play in games.  Not sure if it's because of the caliber of team they always bring (not the best to put it nicely) or what.

I was surprised to see Tennessee High in a play in game though.

I’ve always assumed it’s something with their schedule on the Tabernacle side . I’m pretty sure I’ve seen where that some of the tournament organizers help Tabernacle a lot with the travel aspect. I also think it was one of the years recently where they had been here for like a full week before the first game? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a bit, but Mentor (OH) is back at the Arby's Classic. They finished 2nd (twice) and 3rd over a three year stretch from 2010 to 2012. I believe they have had three appearances (2013, 2014, 2019) in between that run and this season. All three of those other appearances resulted in multiple losses, which is something that never happened during that great 2010-2012 run. 

The team they have this year is pretty solid. Definitely not as good as those earlier teams that played extremely well, but this is still a good team. They are ranked #8 in the very competitive Cleveland-area pre-season poll. They return four starters (including their top two leading scorers) from last season. Their top two players are committed to DII colleges. 

Mentor is playing Sullivan East first. I don't know anything about them. But if Mentor wins, they are going to play the winner of some very strong out of state teams. One won state in SC and the other was runner up in VA. My guess is they beat Sullivan East, lose in the second round, and then it will be 50/50 games after that. 

Edited by MentorFan