Best Public School Coaches

Chiefbigfoot

Define best. It’s an arbitrary term. 

Mack Hawks at Oakland is the active leader in wins with no private school HC experience. He’s at 723+ wins. 

Matt Buckner at Farragut/Bearden may have the highest winning Percentage of active coaches on the TBCA list that were only a HC at public schools. He wins at a .796 clip. 

Interestingly, not a lot of small school guys are active and on the TBCA head coach list.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Most people correlate "best" with wins. I have known many really good coaches that were not blessed with an abundance of talent. It doesn't take any " coaching" to win with an all-star team. A whole lot of travel coaches would be exposed if they took on an inner city team. If they were truly " the best" it would not matter where they coached.

I have also seen multiple teams with ridiculous talent underachieve year after year. They still win a bunch of games but their talent level should be championships.

Perhaps the question should be who has done more with less? That would be the REAL answer to who is best.

On 2/26/2024 at 1:49 PM, BingoLong said:

Most people correlate "best" with wins. I have known many really good coaches that were not blessed with an abundance of talent. It doesn't take any " coaching" to win with an all-star team. A whole lot of travel coaches would be exposed if they took on an inner city team. If they were truly " the best" it would not matter where they coached.

I have also seen multiple teams with ridiculous talent underachieve year after year. They still win a bunch of games but their talent level should be championships.

Perhaps the question should be who has done more with less? That would be the REAL answer to who is best.

You said that it doesn't take any coaching to win with an all-star team but then you say that teams with ridiculous talent underachieve year after year.  Help me make sesnse of this.

24 minutes ago, BelmontRebel said:

You said that it doesn't take any coaching to win with an all-star team but then you say that teams with ridiculous talent underachieve year after year.  Help me make sesnse of this.

That means that they do not coach at all. They just put talent on the field and expect them to do the rest.

Nice veiled attempt and yet a swing and a miss.

On 12/21/2023 at 11:26 PM, MSUBac2001 said:

Define best. It’s an arbitrary term. 

Mack Hawks at Oakland is the active leader in wins with no private school HC experience. He’s at 723+ wins. 

Matt Buckner at Farragut/Bearden may have the highest winning Percentage of active coaches on the TBCA list that were only a HC at public schools. He wins at a .796 clip. 

Interestingly, not a lot of small school guys are active and on the TBCA head coach list.

Farragut Admirals are the best team most years. I guarantee it. Do you want to bet me? I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.