best wrestling program of all time

Guest frwrestling1112

Guest somethingCLEVER

are you referring to a team during a particular time period or teams that have just always been good.....as far as teams that are continually strong,i would have to say father ryan,baylor,and mccallie.....

I have to agree with McCallie, Ryan, and Baylor, but in the past dont forget about Overton. Bradley has been bringing it very strong along with a Soddy Daisy program! About the recruiting, thats just a good excuse to try to bring down a program, I know schools have got in trouble for recruting, but I think it would be tough for Ryan to recruit wrestlers because of their school being Catholic and very tough to get in you arent, I am assuming, and for McCallie and Baylor being boarding schools if a family has the money to send their child their to get a good education and wrestle for a very competitive team why wouldnt you do it? I am not sure there policy and like everything there are ways to get around it, but dont you have to take a pretty intense exam to get into those schools? I am not saying I would or wouldnt do it or trying to speak for others, but it seems pretty obvious it would be setting up a good future. I can name numerous public school kids that use false addresses all over the state to go wrestle for public schools is that not recruting? I dont like getting into arguments on here or calling individual teams or wrestlers out, but i know for a fact where a couple families that have sent kids to Overton to wrestle that dont live in that zoning for schools. It is all over the country lying about where they live! But Hey I just lovetowrestle what do I know??

lovetowrestle-

You have some very good points. I too know some guys that went to another public school-from Franklin to Brentwood when Brentwood had some real good teams. I also know for a fact that Father Ryan does not recruit, and if they do they don't do it well, becasue they passed up Tennessee defensive end John Henderson for a scholarship when he was at St. Pius. And as for their wrestling team, you can tell by the their last names that don't recruit. The Balt'z, Mondellis, Morales's, Simpson's, Dunning's, and Gorham's are just a few of the families that have had great wrestlers for the past thirty years. They go to Father Ryan for for a good Catholic education, which until this year was the only school in Middle Tennessee that offered that.

I know this thread wasn't about recruiting but I think many people are ignorant to the situation, especially Father Ryan's. But as for best wrestling programs of all time, Father Ryan and McCallie lead the way with 8 team state championships and that is the best way that I know how to judge. Here is the link where I found that

http://www.tssaa.org/schdir/records/GetTheRecord.cfm

[Edited by TNwrestler on 12-11-02 12:36A]

I didnt mean for my post to bring about a recruiting issue, those are some good points from you Tnwrestler, especially about the Williamson county area. I think its a little tougher to discuss when you bring in football recruting into it because their have been some schools that have been in more trouble with that problem, BA especially, many high school coaches can go watch the middle school games and tell them what they can offer to play football at their school, and that is the truth I have watched a kid leave a public school to go to a private school after being approached by a defensive corridinator. can tell when I think Baylor went on a Nation wide search for football players three years ago. And I remember when John Henderson wanted to go to Father Ryan when they were a power house and if he would have come chances are that Buck Fitzgerald, and Santanio Beard, would have probably come, but I dont know that situation. What I can tell that schools are doing a good job is getting middle school leagues up and going to get kids to get into the sport at an earlier age rather than just wrestling in High school i know Lipscomb, Clarksville, Father Ryan, Tullahoma, Overton and the Chattanooga teams are doing a good job on this. In some of the cases the high school just have feeder schools such as MBA, BA, and Father Ryan with numerous Catholic grade schools and now John Paul is going to get a good amount of kids. I think the recruiting issue about wrestling is getting blown out of proportion, and some of us dont have to get so uptight about ignorant posts about the situation, when a person is trying to bring down great programs or making an attempt to trash teams that have been so good and maybe their team not on top. This just my outlook and what do I know I just Lovetowrestle!

frhsrules-

I'm not sure if your post was directed at me, but just in case I said that many people are ignorant to Father Ryan's situation, NOT Father Ryan is ignorant. People think that Father Ryan recruits wrestlers and I wanted to clarify that they do not. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, the website I posted doesn't seem to work. But if you want to find TSSAA records, go to www.tssaa.org, click on "history", then "past champions and records". From here you can check any sport or any team.

frhsrules-

I'm not sure if your post was directed at me, but just in case I said that many people are ignorant to Father Ryan's situation, NOT Father Ryan is ignorant. People think that Father Ryan recruits wrestlers and I wanted to clarify that they do not. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, the website I posted doesn't seem to work. But if you want to find TSSAA records, go to www.tssaa.org, click on "history", then "past champions and records". From here you can check any sport or any team.

To answer RyanRowdy's question of which team has the most individual champions I went to the TSSAA history website and looked at the list of individual champions for each team the following is a list of the more wrestling prominent teams throughout Tennessee Wrestling history and the number of individual champs they have had (this is both before and after the split)...

1. McCallie: 52

2. Baylor: 51

3. Father Ryan: 50

4. Red Bank: 48

5. East Ridge: 33

6. Notre Dame: 30

7. Bradley Central: 24

8. MBA: 21

9. Chattanooga Central: 16

Hixson: 16

10.Soddy Daisy: 14

Cleveland: 14

Overton:14

The Following is the most Team Championships...

1. Father Ryan: 8

McCallie: 8

2. Baylor: 7

3. East Ridge: 6

4. Bradley Central: 4

5. Red Bank: 4

6. John Overton: 2

7. Cleveland: 2

8. Notre Dame: 2

9. Franklin: 1

Hixson: 1

Chattanooga City: 1