White County

Guest ZARE

After reading these posts on here concerning white county basketball I am going to defend Slatten. I have seen this team play 2 times at riverdale and vs Lebanon. I don't know who in their right mind, that knows anything about the game of basketball that thinks they should be beating these teams much less competing with them. It didn't look like to me that white county had a player over 6'1 in the starting line-up and they are not very quick. What impressed me was the fact they played very hard and left it all on the court. If you, 85warrior, want to see what kind of coach Slatten is then let him be able to coach talent like Roy Whited had. Slatten's past record speaks for itself and believe me I have seen both men coach numerous times in the last 7-8 years, there is not much difference. But compare the 2 now is like apples and oranges because white county does not have the talent they had during the whited years, to whited's credit he made the most of his talent like slatten is with the team now.( Also I heard they have no seniors.)

:x

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mrBodean43

Okay so you want to talk about White County's eight grade team. They have lost a total of 3 games in three years with one of those being to Cookeville's now freshman team. They were beat by them when WC was sixth graders and Cookeville's Freshman were seventh graders. One loss was by one point to Cookeville when they were 7th graders.(White Co. beat them by 20 at home and when they played them in Cookeville, Cookeville played some of there 8th graders and beat them by 1) Their 3rd loss was this year to Brentwood by about 8 and White CO. was having an off game. If those guys had their AAU coach on the bench they would not have lost any middle school games at all..... You should see these guys play with their AAU coach.(7 of the eighth graders play on the same AAU team.) There is alot of talent there and should be another State Championship team when they get to high school if they get some school coaching.

Please stop putting pressure on these guys by saying they will win a state championship. I hope they do as much as anyone but the last thing they need right now is people making them think they are going to win a state championship in high school. They have the talent but giving them the big head could be the biggest block. It also doesn''t help putitng a target on their backs already. A lot depends on how much they grow also. Size is very important at the AAA level.

[Edited by sportsfanatic on 1-20-03 1:28A]

To Krf23 their is nobody mentioning about aau so you need to quiet crying. Are you one of the boys that played on the aau. A lot can happen in two years with the 8th grade boys. I was talking about the high school team and here you come whining about the 8th grade team.

wigwam...I say Amen to your last post. You and I are in total agreement.

85warrior...Slatten doesn't have 1/10 of the talent that Whited had. That's why Whited is selling real estate right now. I personally think he didn't want to go through this rebuild that is going on right now. I can't say as I blame him. Once you've been to the top of the mountain, it's hard to ever be happy in the valley again. Give Slatten that type of talent and see what happens. He's just as good, maybe better. He's getting a lot of bang for his buck right now. He has a weak team playing at just 3 games under .500. Yeah, some players quit on him. That's not his fault. They just couldn't take it. If I were a coach, I would rather have a group of marginal players who wanted to play than a group of really good players who wanted to complain all the time and compare me to who used to be there.

pinkpanther....Like I said. I know the talent level is way off. However, I don't see how you can say he is getting lots of bang for the buck with ZERO Dist. wins in almost 2 seasons. The record this year is a little deceiving. How many wins does White Co. have against AAA teams? I think it's only one or two. The other wins came against extremely weak AA teams. I think Whited did want to spend more time with his new son when he quit. With Agee and the Selby boys and others there wasn't really any rebuilding to do. We would have probably won the Dist. tourney another time or two or at least would have been a serious contender with Whited the last couple of years. I have a question pinkpanther. Would you get rid of Slatten if he has no Dist. wins this year or next? It is a possibility.

Why is everybody so hung up on district wins? Sometimes you're the windshield, and sometimes you're the bug. Sparta just happens to be the bug right now. People should be happy with wins no matter where they come from. Everybody keeps talking about no district wins for the last 2 seasons. Sparta has just been the worst team in the district for the last 2 years. I think people need to look for signs of improvement. The team is playing better this year than they did last year. Take Agee away from last year's team, and they don't win a game. The team is playing pretty well this year considering they lost the 7-AAA Player of the Year, and don't have a single senior. Give them a 24-point and 9-rebound per game player this year and they have a winning record. District wins aren't as important as just wins. The district wins will come later. If the team doesn't improve next year, or has a backslide, then maybe Slatten should go. Don't base it on district wins alone. Sparta could win every district game and poeple would still complain. They would gripe because we weren't winning by big enough margins or something like that. People just want to complain because Slatten isn't Roy Whited. Slatten only has 1 player that could have even made Whited's teams. Maybe 2. That's how much talent Whited had. Give Slatten some time, talent, and support and see what he can do. Please answer these questions. Would the team have won more last year if the Selbys and Sims had stayed? Would the team be winning more if the Selbys, Sims, and some of the others who quit were playing this year? Could Whited win any more games with the team Slatten has right now? If Sparta was winning, would we even be having this discussion? My answers are yes, yes, no, and no. I think this says that the biggest difference between Whited's teams and Slatten's teams is talent. If the talent was there, or had stunk it up and stayed there, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I expressed my true feelings in that last post, but I knew it would stir some people up. These Sparta threads were getting boring. It's good to be back!

[Edited by pinkpanther on 1-21-03 12:23A]

Wins are wins. That's the beauty of a tournament. Even the worst team has a chance to get on a roll and move into the region. This is also the downside. Sometimes bad teams move on while good teams stay at home. A lot of times, it boils down to dumb luck.

Ultimately, it comes down to players. The rest of the district obviously has better players right now. Coaches can't get out there and play, or they probably would.

[Edited by pinkpanther on 1-21-03 9:13A]

Who do you think in the last 2 years they could have beaten in the dist. This district has so much talent it would be hard for anyone to win without the big post players and an excellant point guard. Just look who has won games in the district the last 2 years they have post players and point guards. So why don't you-all layoff and let the kids play and the coach, coach. As far as Roy goes let it alone. He resigned and isn't the coach anymore, so let it go. Yes he won back to back state titles. Something that is very hard to do. It wouldn't matter who is coaching now I doubt they would be able to do more than they are doing now. So let the kids play and the coach, coach and be quit.

I believe the problem with White Co. is the coach. I just can't see why everyone likes him so much when he treats his team bad. He's actually not a good coach. Besides his years at Perry Co.(who can't win with a future NBA hall of famer) he has a losing coaching percentage. His record is 81-152. Not very impressive. I believe it's time for him to hang up his whistle and retire to the foothills of Perry Co.