Individual performance of the year!!!

brownhut

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, he really does. He is one of the most respected, if not the most respected girls coach in Memphis. He owns one of the few non-private school state championships for the city of Memphis. When they play against teams that are worse than most middle school teams, he won't play her at all...not just limited minutes, I mean he will sit her the entire game or she might not dress out. How many coaches would do this? She might hit 100 against those teams and for all the games that he has kept her out of for all four year, she could have easily beat Nikki McCray's scoring record. He actually blames himself for this and this is the first season that he has actually really "turned her loose" so to speak. And he is TOUGH on her too...I mean, REALLY TOUGH! No favoritism there...he is harder on her than any girl on the team...if she does something really wrong, he will sit her for a whole quarter...and she will still score 30 or 40! :o

what does she do that is so wrong to benched for a whole quarter? Has he let her reach her potential in the past four years. The last post made it sound like she has been a caged tiger ready to kill! Of course she is going to hustle as hard as she can if she has limited games/minutes/quarters to prove herself. Is that right?

Don't read too much negativism into what caramelcutiepie said. Coach Newman just chooses to keep her fresh for the bigger games. Considering that she has over 2,800 points in her career I don't think it has hurt her too much. In fact, it makes what she has accomplished even more impressive.

A quote from Coach Newman: "Yeah, in three years I've probably taken 500 points off her score," said Newman. "But everyone else we play this season is competitive, so they'd better get ready for Ashley Shields."

Here is the article link:

Article