The Bear (Spears) talks to TSU

govu

In this mornings Memorial Park News, it was reported that TSU Athletic Director and President have contacted the legendary Coach Howard "the Bear" Spears about the Men's Head Coaching Vacancy. Folks will remember from last Spring that "the Bear" was a finalist for the Arkansas Men's job and the Vanderbilt Women. It is believed that the Bear's brother Marty, a proud graduate of TSU, mentioned the bear's name through some of his Big Blue connections to get the process started. Anyone familar with Marty knows he is an avid supporter of Big Blue athletics. It was also reported that Spears intends to name his all time favorite player and apprentice Joshua "Buster" Keltner as assistant coach and recruiting coordinator. It is rumored also that coaching legends Larry George Davis and Wayne Tatum will come out of retirement to round out the staff. A staff of this caliber would certainly boost excitement around the Gentry Center to a level not seen since the days of the legendary Ed Martin and Truck Robinson. More on this story as it develops.

Spears, who is the winningest coach in AA ball in the state of Tennessee has made statements this morning that he is indeed considering the TSU vacancy. He was contacted Saturday evening about the position but delayed talks until his #1 team the Titans had finished playing. When asked this morning about possible assistants if he accepts the job these names were stated: Gary Craig, Bruce Slatten, Richie Anderson, Ken Crowell, Tinker Tension, Wayne Tatum, Nolan Richardson, and Michelle Carmen. All TSU fans are waiting the announcement which could come as early as today.

Yo doggz dat be da best newz I heardz n a long time. Da Bearizzo 2 da Gentry Centizzo? If dey is one coach who can turn da shiznit 'round up at TSU it be da Bear. But yo coach, if ya take da job you's best leave yo 9, yo glock, and yo AK-47 at da house, cause dem boyzz up in da 'Ville don't play dat way. Word to yo ######!!

Guest Scalper

The word from the TSU campus this morning is that no agreement has been reached between the Bear and the Big Blue Athletic Department. Other names in the mix include Larry Finch, Former University of Memphis Men's Coach, and Nolan Richardson Sr., former University of Arkansas Men's Coach, also mentioned was Doc Shelton of Martin Luther King Magnet School. It appears that the Bear is the clear fan favorite and frontrunner. As negotiations continue, the outcry on CoachT and other sports websites is for the Big Blue Athletic Department to put together a multi-million dollar package deal with bonuses for OVC Championships and NCAA appearances which would help in convincing the Bear that his destiny lies with the TSU "Big Blue" Tigers. More on this story as it develops

As reported on ESPN this morning UCLA coach Steve Lavin is on the hotseat and expected to be fired at season's end. Rumors are flying in the sunshine state that Coach Bear Spears is the next man in line to fill the void in Bruinville, if he passes on the TSU job. I contacted Coach Spears this morning at his 103 acre estate/ranch to find out if he was more interrested in the Big Blue or UCLA. He had this to say, " No matter where I decide to go I will try my best to bring a national title to that school. I have also been in talks with several possible assistant coaches and have decided to name and reunite myself with head assistant Alan Pounds. More as this bizzare story developes.

It was reported on a Kentucky Wildcats fan site that several prominent boosters are making an effort to convince the UK Athletic Department to relieve Coach Tubby Smith of his Coaching Duties at season's end unless the Cats make it to the final four. The one name that keeps popping up among the fans is "The Bear." The one thing that might prevent the Bear from going to the Bluegrass state is the fact that he would have to play his alma-mater and first love the Tennessee Volunteers. Those sports fans who have been around since the late 70's will remember that Spears once served as a graduate assistant on the UT Men's staff under the legendary Coach Ray Mears. Spears was credited in playing a major role in landing Blue Chip recruits Ernie Grunfield and Bernard King. After Coach Mears retired, Coach Spears joined Pat Summitt and played a major role in helping establish the women's program as a national power.

After this, he left Big Orange Country to return to his home Lewis County to rebuild the basketball program that he had led to greatness as a player in the early 70's. After leading the Panthers to back-to-back 20+ win seasons, the Bear walked away from the game of basketball. He purchased a hundred acre ranch in Western Lewis Country and began an internet business. Since this time, the Bear's name has been mentioned in virtually for every major Coaching position around the country. When will the Bear make his long awaited return?

Guest Scalper

In his morning teleconference, the Bear offered congratulations to his close personal friend Coach Pat Summit for reaching 800 wins. When asked which coaching position he was leaning toward accepting the Bear responded,"TSU, UCLA, and Kentucky are all appealing jobs. However, at this time I just want to concentrate on supporting my beloved Tennessee Titans. I am planning on flying out to Oakland this weekend with my two close friends Larry "Rodjo" Rodgers and Josh "BusterJr" Keltner to attend the playoff game. After the game, we will soak up some sun at the bay and discuss our coaching futures."

• 2 years later...

The word around school today was that ESPN was coming down to interview The Bear and on December 27th will be aired on Sportscenter at 1:00 am. I encourage all of you to tune in to see how the " hide-away" man has been going about his business for the past few years, after Dustin Lad Davis, Josh Keltner, and crew all graduated and moved on from the panther squad.

After hearing about the upcoming ESPN special I thought I might could find some photographs of Coach Spears I may have taken last season. However, it occured to me that I usually ran out of film before the end of the Lady Panther games so I dont believe I would have any photos to share. I also checked to see if there was any video footage, but my batteries were low by that time as well and I didnt get much there either. At any rate, is there any hope that this rumor is false and he may instead be looking at coaching the womens program? Just curious.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been following this story with great interest for almost three long years and now have breaking news to share with each of you.

Indeed job opportunities were afforded Howard "Bear" Spears at TSU, Villanova and the Atlanta Hawks. The Bear struggled mightily with the decision making process and he has confided in me the real reasons.

As of January 1, 2006, Mr. Spears will become the newest member of the E-Bay corporate family working in the newly created position of Vice President of Sales and Services for all things orange! Naturally this will encompass all of his beloved University of Tennessee memorabilia and the sale thereof but, notwithstanding the occasional marketing of Texas, Syracuse and Clemson paraphenalia, he will also occasionally highlight the faux orange tints of the Florida Gators.

So for those who long for his return to the hardcourt, it seems that it may never happen again. The lure of the big business internet world has apparently taken our fearless one away from us permanently!